Where (or when) can we get LPC-DHA/EPA?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Zuben47
Contributor
Contributor

Where (or when) can we get LPC-DHA/EPA?

Post by Zuben47 »

I'm reading studies about how this form can get a lot of DHA into the brains of APOE4 carriers, but I can't seem to find any tangible information on it's availability or when it might become available? Does anyone have any information they can share about this? Thanks in advance!
Zuben47
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Where (or when) can we get LPC-DHA/EPA?

Post by Zuben47 »

NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Zuben47 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:43 pm I'm reading studies about how this form can get a lot of DHA into the brains of APOE4 carriers, but I can't seem to find any tangible information on it's availability or when it might become available? Does anyone have any information they can share about this? Thanks in advance!...This is what I'm talking about:https://www.akerbiomarine.com/hubfs/Fir ... VETA-1.pdf
Welcome Zuben47,

I assume you, like most of us, carry one or two copies of ApoE4 and it sounds like you also follow DHA studies. The link you provide is to a particular company that does not appear to market such a drug. We have a community guideline of not promoting one's own business or company, so I'm guessing you are following this company the way some of us follow drug trials with interest.

I found a study from 2021 that references this form of DHA/EPA, but it notes that the positive effects were tested in mice that are genetically engineered to be like ApoE4 carriers. However, my understanding is that such studies often serve as a "proof of concept" trial, but usually require more extensive human trials before specific recommendations would be made. That may be different is LPC-DHA can be marketed as a supplement, not a drug. Here's an excerpt (with bold emphasis added by me) and a link to the study:
Thus, although clinical trials with currently available DHA supplements may not have produced the beneficial outcomes predicted for APOE4 carriers, our study along with others support that there may be some benefit to optimizing supplements to enrich brain DHA to provide protection for neurodegenerative disorders....In conclusion, our data support that diets containing high levels of LPC-DHA can enrich brain DHA and improve memory-relevant behavior in mice that express APOE4. Therefore, long-term use of supplements that contain high LPC-DHA levels may on some level protect against age-related neurodegeneration.
LPC-DHA/EPA-Enriched Diets Increase Brain DHA and Modulate Behavior in Mice That Express Human APOE4

In the meantime, some of us do take krill oil or fish oil or DHA/EPA supplements, from a variety of companies. My own belief is that brain health is multi-faceted and we do best when we keep a lot of options on the table for exercise, diet, supplements, social and cognitive engagement. Hope you tell us more about your interest in this field!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Attabeth
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Attabeth »

Zuben47 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:43 pm I'm reading studies about how this form can get a lot of DHA into the brains of APOE4 carriers, but I can't seem to find any tangible information on it's availability or when it might become available? Does anyone have any information they can share about this? Thanks in advance!
Hi Zuben47,

I wanted to say hello and welcome you to our forum. Thank you for reaching out. As a welcome intern, I'd like to give you some tips and suggestions as you navigate the site since you appear to be new here.

The Primer includes researched-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips and tricks to navigate the site include the How-to Guide. This guide is a great resource I found helpful when I started posting. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, an searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response. It really helps to keep the conversation going.

If you would like to tell us more about yourself or interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories. You seem to be eager to learn and to stay up to date on the latest studies and info. I hope you will find this community to be very helpful and informative. I'm so glad you are here. Please feel free to share more of your story and reach out with any other questions.

Be well,
Beth
Craigar
New User
New User

Post by Craigar »

Gratefully we can get it from fish roe (a.k.a. fish eggs, and when from a Sturgeon fish it's Caviar )

https://novoslabs.com/what-are-the-best ... s-a-guide/
3. Fish roe

Furthermore, we recommend to consume also daily, or at least a few times per week, fish roe, such as herring roe, salmon roe and/or lumpfish roe.

These are high in a specific form of omega-3, namely lysophosphatidylcholine-based (LPC) omega-3. This form is especially important for brain health.

This entire article is a real eye opener about bio-availability of EFA's

Also LPC-DHA is the only form absorb-able by our Retina, here's an informative article (with too many ads - suggest viewing it in "reader mode")
https://scitechdaily.com/new-omega-3-su ... -diseases/
Last edited by Craigar on Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Craigar wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:56 pm Gratefully we can get it from fish roe (a.k.a. fish eggs, and when from a Sturgeon fish it's Caviar )

https://novoslabs.com/what-are-the-best ... s-a-guide/
3. Fish roe

Furthermore, we recommend to consume also daily, or at least a few times per week, fish roe, such as herring roe, salmon roe and/or lumpfish roe.

These are high in a specific form of omega-3, namely lysophosphatidylcholine-based (LPC) omega-3. This form is especially important for brain health.

This entire article is a real eye opener about bio-availability of EFA's

Also LPC-DHA is the only form absorb-able by our Retina, here's an informative article (with too many ads - suggest viewing it in "reader mode")
https://scitechdaily.com/new-omega-3-su ... -diseases/
Welcome, Craigar!

On behalf of the Senior Support Team, I want to thank you for both finding and reactivating this thread on DHA/EPA sources. As someone who must be reading SciTechDaily on a regular basis, you show the kind of verbal and analytic skills that people with ApoE4 have been known to enjoy--one of the upsides of our genes!

I confess to enjoying salmon more than salmon roe. But since I was raised on the idea that "fish sticks" were fish, I've learned a lot from this forum and other sources--as you clearly have. If you'd like to share how you came to be interested in ApoE 4 and what your current life hacks are, feel free to do that on Our Stories, where you also may find stories of like-minded members.

If you haven't discovered it yet, the Primer is a wonderful resource to browse, sample and dive into. It was written by Stavia, a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4.

The How-To Guide shows how to quote members (use the " icon in the upper right of any post) so they get an email notification of your post. It also shows how to find unread topics using the eyeball icon next to your username.

Below is a link to an article that I personally found informative. since one of the co-authors is Dr. Richard Isaacson, the former founder and director of the Alzheimer's Prevention Program at Cornell Weill Medical Center in NYC: Precision Nutrition for Alzheimer’s Prevention in ApoE4 Carriers

Please continue to post and tell us what is working for you.

Warmly,
Nancy
4/4 and still an optimist!