Evidence mounts for alternate origins of Alzheimer’s disease plaques

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
LA18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Evidence mounts for alternate origins of Alzheimer’s disease plaques

Post by LA18 »

Per the recommendation of an ENT, I’ve used Gaviscon Advance, from the UK, which is different than the Gaviscon we have in the US. Gaviscon Advance contains sodium alginate and potassium bicarbonate. When you drink it after eating it creates a raft at the GE junction that prevents reflux. It’s available on Amazon, but I think it comes via third-party vendors.

Life Extension also has a product that contains alginate (Esophageal Guardian). I don’t know if it’s as effective as Gaviscon Advance, but the online reviews are generally positive.

I know how difficult it can be to manage silent reflux. I hope you're able to find something that helps.
Whatnow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Whatnow »

My first attempts at ketogenic led to my GP asking me at my next appt "How is the reflux?". I answered I had not experienced any recently. Which surprised me as I expected the keotgenic/atkins diet to make GERD worse. It actually eliminated it. I no longer follow ketogenic diet due to insane increase in LDL-P, but even on my low-carb (but not ketogenic) diet, I no longer experience reflux. Oh, one more thing that I suppose might make a difference. I started using a CPAP machine. My sleep apnea was very mild, but opted for the machine and feel better in the mornings when using it (less groggy). Before that, another thing that helped was raising the head of the bed several inches. I routinely had to crawl back up to the head of the bed to avoid ending up on the floor at the foot of the bed, but that made a difference as well. ALthough, I wonder if having head elevated when you sleep is bad for you?
Greyhound
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Greyhound »

Whatnow wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:13 pm My first attempts at ketogenic led to my GP asking me at my next appt "How is the reflux?". I answered I had not experienced any recently. Which surprised me as I expected the keotgenic/atkins diet to make GERD worse. It actually eliminated it. I no longer follow ketogenic diet due to insane increase in LDL-P, but even on my low-carb (but not ketogenic) diet, I no longer experience reflux. Oh, one more thing that I suppose might make a difference. I started using a CPAP machine. My sleep apnea was very mild, but opted for the machine and feel better in the mornings when using it (less groggy). Before that, another thing that helped was raising the head of the bed several inches. I routinely had to crawl back up to the head of the bed to avoid ending up on the floor at the foot of the bed, but that made a difference as well. ALthough, I wonder if having head elevated when you sleep is bad for you?
I have come across this elevated bed head technique but never tried it. Here is the book about it.

xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

LA18 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:00 pm Per the recommendation of an ENT, I’ve used Gaviscon Advance, from the UK, which is different than the Gaviscon we have in the US. Gaviscon Advance contains sodium alginate and potassium bicarbonate. When you drink it after eating it creates a raft at the GE junction that prevents reflux. It’s available on Amazon, but I think it comes via third-party vendors.

Life Extension also has a product that contains alginate (Esophageal Guardian). I don’t know if it’s as effective as Gaviscon Advance, but the online reviews are generally positive.
Thanks for sharing this. I never heard of alginate products that create a raft at the GE junction to prevent reflux. I looked at Gaviscon Advance and Life Extension Esophageal Guardian on Amazon. I also found one called Reflux Gourmet that gets good reviews on taste. I'll give some of these a try. I also ordered a 7" foam wedge to go under the mattress to elevate the head of the bed.