Why Such a High Baseline Glucose?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Brenita
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Why Such a High Baseline Glucose?

Post by Brenita »

I struggle with waking blood glucose. As Tincup suggested, I joined the challenges setup by Marty Kendall. When I follow Marty's suggestions, I am successful and can drop my waking blood glucose by 20 points. https://members.optimisingnutrition.com/about
They spoon feed you the information which makes it easier to incorporate into your life. It is also very informative as to what makes your BG go higher/lower. My biggest issue is stress and lack of sleep. I know that my BG will be over 100 in the morning if I did not sleep well. It will stay high until mid afternoon. I also learned that if I eat protein early in the day the BG will drop.

Good Luck with your search for an answer. Mine answer is Marty Kendall's Optimizing Nutrition/Data Driven Fasting/Macro and Micro challenges.
Brenita
APoe 3/4
Rebeccat
New User
New User

Post by Rebeccat »

Hi SandiT. I'm wondering if you ever got an answer about your elevated baseline glucose. I have an almost identical situation, with healthy eating, lots of exercise, healthy weight, but fasting glucose consistently over 100, almost never below 100 at any point in the day, even after fasted exercise. I have been using a glucometer to check postprandial levels and am generally 120-140 after meals, occasionally higher. I'm considering wearing a CGM to see if that sheds more light on my situation but am interesting to know if you have made any changes based on your experience. Thanks in advance for sharing any insights you have!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Rebeccat wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:06 am I have an almost identical situation, with healthy eating, lots of exercise, healthy weight, but fasting glucose consistently over 100, almost never below 100 at any point in the day, even after fasted exercise.
There's more to glucose levels than just what you eat. Some factors that contribute can be found in our ApoE4.info wiki article: Blood Sugar. Go to the subheading Causes of high glucose measurements
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Rebeccat wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:06 am I have an almost identical situation, with healthy eating, lots of exercise, healthy weight, but fasting glucose consistently over 100, almost never below 100 at any point in the day, even after fasted exercise.
Australian Engineer, Marty Kendall, has a wife with T1 diabetes. She has an off label setup where her CGM drives her insulin pump. Marty has access to the data & it gives him an insight into these relationships. He's used this to start a group for non-T1's to help optimize their blood sugar and weight.

In this post, he says:

"While high-fat meals don’t tend to raise glucose much, high-fat meals can prevent your blood sugars from falling. Glucose effectively ‘backs up in your system’ while your body uses up the excess dietary fat."

I've noticed that reducing my fat intake will lower my morning glucose.

He also has a number of posts on using your glucometer as a fuel gauge.
Tincup
E3,E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Tincup wrote:I've noticed that reducing my fat intake will lower my morning glucose.
What does your current % fat intake look like these days?

And how much do you think you dropped the % fat to see an impact on your morning reading?

Always in tweaking mode and this could prove helpful for me...
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

Rebeccat wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:06 am Hi SandiT. I'm wondering if you ever got an answer about your elevated baseline glucose. I have an almost identical situation, with healthy eating, lots of exercise, healthy weight, but fasting glucose consistently over 100, almost never below 100 at any point in the day, even after fasted exercise. I have been using a glucometer to check postprandial levels and am generally 120-140 after meals, occasionally higher. I'm considering wearing a CGM to see if that sheds more light on my situation but am interesting to know if you have made any changes based on your experience. Thanks in advance for sharing any insights you have!
Welcome Rebeccat,
Thank you for joining our site and posting in the forum. I see you are getting some great feedback and resources from other members. I would also add that from personal experience- a CGM was really impactful for me in understanding what foods and activities were impacting my glucose levels.

As a Support Team Intern, I can share additional tools & resources to help you get the most out of your experience if you would like to explore the site in more detail. The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Again, I am so glad you joined our forum. I look forward to hearing from you in the future. Please feel free to reach out anytime.

Warmly,
Angie
Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach-FMCA
RECODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

SusanJ wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:08 am
Tincup wrote:I've noticed that reducing my fat intake will lower my morning glucose.
What does your current % fat intake look like these days?

And how much do you think you dropped the % fat to see an impact on your morning reading?
Susan, I haven't measured/weighed & recorded my intake to really answer your questions quantitatively. I know a fair amount of my caloric intake is from nuts, so fat. What I've also recently associated is perhaps a sensitivity to fructan in nuts, such as pistachios or hazelnuts causing me constipation. On a recent trip to the Oregon coast, I decided to minimize this intake & hence reduce my fat intake. The observation was that my fasting glucose declined by 15-20 mg/dL and my stools also were runny (I consume probably over 3 g a day of elemental magnesium as malate, glycinate and chloride to keep the afib I've had for 19 years mostly in remission). Increasing the nuts when returned home upped my glucose and also made my stools harder.
Tincup
E3,E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Tincup wrote:On a recent trip to the Oregon coast, I decided to minimize this intake & hence reduce my fat intake. The observation was that my fasting glucose declined by 15-20 mg/dL...
Interesting to see that much drop just by stopping the nuts. I stopped eating nuts due to oxalates but don't recall any noticeable drop in fasting blood sugar.

Definitely something for me to ponder why. Thanks.
Rebeccat
New User
New User

Post by Rebeccat »

Thanks, all, for the helpful responses! I have a feeling I may have adaptive glucose sparing contributing to my high readings. I'll talk to my doc about some additional tests and his thoughts on CGM, given my recent discovery of my E3/4 status. I really appreciate all of the info on this website and the supportive community you all have built!
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

Rebeccat wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:54 am Thanks, all, for the helpful responses! I have a feeling I may have adaptive glucose sparing contributing to my high readings. I'll talk to my doc about some additional tests and his thoughts on CGM, given my recent discovery of my E3/4 status. I really appreciate all of the info on this website and the supportive community you all have built!
Glad you found the site and thank you for sharing your journey! It is a great community and really valuable resource. Please continue to share your insights if you feel comfortable. Have a great Monday!
Angie
Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach-FMCA
RECODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition