Asking for input from the group

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
William2050
New User
New User

Asking for input from the group

Post by William2050 »

Hi, I am a new new member with a general question about choosing a practitioner to help me, if that is OK.

I retired 2 years ago, and ironically developed various health problems, including the beginning signs of early dementia. I took a couple of the cognitive tests available which gave low cognition scores.

One thing I was able to determine was that lab tests showed I had high levels of MOLD and fairly high heavy metals. I have been on a yearlong program of nutrition and supplements which helped me get rid of the metals and nearly all the mold,laying the foundation for therapies to regenerate my brain tissues and hopefully keep me from going into full Alzheimer’s.

At this point I need to get fully into Neurofeedback therapies that help my brain get better. I live in California but am considering spending time on the East Coast to work with one of 2 practitioners I have been impressed with. One is Dr Robert Hedaya in Bethesda and the other is Dr robert Thatcher in St Petersburg FL. I am wondering if anyone in this group can provide any input on their experience with either one?

Dr hedaya seems to use a combination of hyperbaric oxygen, guided laser therapy, and Neurofeedback. I already have a hyperbaric chamber at home that I use regularly. Dr Robert Thatcher seems to have a well regarded approach to Neurofeedback that he has a lot of success with.

Thanks in advance for any input...
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Asking for input from the group

Post by NF52 »

William2050 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:08 pm Hi, I am a new new member with a general question about choosing a practitioner to help me, if that is OK....

Thanks in advance for any input.
Hi "William2050"!

As a Moderator of this forum, I want to let you know I made one change to your post, removing your email address. Since these posts can be viewed by anyone, we strongly encourage people not to use their personal emails in the posts, since it could open you to spam or other unwanted invasions of your privacy. We do allow for Private Messages which are explained in our "how-to" Wiki guide here: Using Private Messages

Hope you don't mind the "edit" from another retiree, who thinks you picked a good time to retire due to COVID protocols, and wishes you well.

Nancy (NF52)
4/4 and still an optimist!
AnnaM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AnnaM »

Hi William2050!
Welcome! I commend you on your determination and resourcefulness! Your perseverance to find the answers is commendable. I am an intern here and can't make recommendations about individual practitioners, but I can recommend that on this site, Dr. Bredesen recommends trained practitioners well versed in his ApoE4 protocol that are very knowledgeable. Here are links that may help:

https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Main_Page# ... actitioner

https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/ApoE4-Awar ... ctitioners

https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/ApoE4-Awar ... th_Coaches

Additional pages that many find valuable include the following. The Primer was written by a member-doctor and is full of information. Also the How-To Guide is very helpful to find your way around here.

Hope this information helps, Best,
AnnaM
Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
William2050
New User
New User

Post by William2050 »

Thank you!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

William2050 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:08 pm ...At this point I need to get fully into Neurofeedback therapies that help my brain get better. I live in California but am considering spending time on the East Coast to work with one of 2 practitioners I have been impressed with. One is Dr Robert Hedaya in Bethesda and the other is Dr robert Thatcher in St Petersburg FL. I am wondering if anyone in this group can provide any input on their experience with either one?

Dr hedaya seems to use a combination of hyperbaric oxygen, guided laser therapy, and Neurofeedback. I already have a hyperbaric chamber at home that I use regularly. Dr Robert Thatcher seems to have a well regarded approach to Neurofeedback that he has a lot of success with.

Thanks in advance for any input...
Hi again, William,

It seems like you've made good use of the last two years to detoxify yourself and improve your health! I'm guessing you are something of an autodidact, a self-taught, highly curious student of what works for you. If so, you have lots of company in this forum!

Are you comfortably sharing what got you interested in Neurofeedback for brain health? I was able to see neurofeedback in use in the NYC and Western NY area about 20 years ago for students with ADD and/or anxiety, but am not familiar with the theory or modalities for brain health. The kids were highly engaged in games that I would be very inattentive on!

I used "hyperbaric" in the "Search" function (in the text box under your user name in the upper right corner) and found a conversation on methods to improve O2 to the brain and some links to podcasts within it. You may find something helpful in there. One of the posters "Tincup" is a Moderator on the forum with wide experience and reading. Here's that "thread":
Brain Oxygenation-High/Low O2 Exercise

Since you live in California, I'm wondering if you have tried practitioners out there, especially since you already have a hyperbaric chamber in your home.

You also mention taking cognitive tests, which I'm assuming were online tests. Some of those have been pretty carefully developed; others may not be as valid (truly measuring what they claim to measure) or reliable (likely to result in a similar score if taken 3-6 months later). I've taken a wide range of cognitive tests as a participant in clinical trials for people with normal cognition who have a genetic risk of Alzheimer's, and know from my own experience and that of "study buddies" that we all have strengths and weaknesses. Some people remember a string of numbers but have trouble drawing a shape; others have rapid processing speed for verbal tasks (name all the animals you can think of in a minute) but much slower, yet still average, visual-motor speed.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about an online test. If you want to get a helpful, thorough workup that night give you a sense of not only your cognitive skills but your blood chemistry and other levels, your primary care provider should be able order some tests and refer you to a local neuropsychologist or memory clinic for an evaluation of "subjective cognitive concerns" that would be mostly paid for by insurance--although you'd want to check on that!

Having been tested by wonderful, skilled people who also tested folks with memory concerns at a national academic center, I can tell you that a) it's a fascinating, if somewhat lengthy experience and b) nothing makes these people happier than being able to reassure someone that they still have normal cognition. I have a good friend who did just that last week at a research center and was told she did not have Mild Cognitive Impairment, as one brief test during a stressful time months ago had suggested, and continues to perform at her previous above average to superior level.

I hope you find this community and the forum posts and Wiki helpful, and share what you've learned over the last two years.

Nancy
4/4 and still an optimist!