Still trying to make sense if it is worth APOE4 to get a vaccine for Shingles and VZV?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Still trying to make sense if it is worth APOE4 to get a vaccine for Shingles and VZV?

Post by floramaria »

giftsplash wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:40 am Curious what everyone is thinking on this.

Do you favor Shingrix or Zostavax or both?
I’ve had both. Around a decade ago, a physician friend who’d seen some devastating cases of shingles recommended I get Zostavax vaccination. I did. When Shingrex vaccine became available, I also got two shots of that. I was told, and also read that it was more effective.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Still trying to make sense if it is worth APOE4 to get a vaccine for Shingles and VZV?

Post by Anna »

Julie G wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm There has been consistent data coming out that suggest multiple vaccines, including those for shingles, flu, and BCG (tuberculosis) all may protect against dementia. This may help make up your mind: Herpes Zoster Vaccination Reduces Risk of Dementia.
Conclusion: Our finding that HZ vaccination reduces the risk of dementia is consistent with the link between viruses and AD. Herpes viruses-induced reactivation of embryologic pathways silenced at birth could be one of the pathologic processes in Alzheimer's disease.
Wow, this is really interesting! Thank you for sharing!

I got my Shingrix vaccines at the end of 2019. The first dose was tough, so I made sure I was well-rested and nourished for the second dose, and it was not bad at all.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Julie G wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:46 pm There has been consistent data coming out that suggest multiple vaccines, including those for shingles, flu, and BCG (tuberculosis) all may protect against dementia. This may help make up your mind: Herpes Zoster Vaccination Reduces Risk of Dementia.
Conclusion: Our finding that HZ vaccination reduces the risk of dementia is consistent with the link between viruses and AD. Herpes viruses-induced reactivation of embryologic pathways silenced at birth could be one of the pathologic processes in Alzheimer's disease.
Interesting in this recent study the BCG vaccine (100 years old) was shown to be 92% effective against COVID.
In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of patients with type 1 diabetes conducted at the start of the pandemic (before COVID-specific vaccines were available), the researchers found that 12.5% of placebo-treated individuals and 1% of BCG-treated individuals met criteria for confirmed COVID-19, yielding a vaccine effectiveness of 92%.

The BCG-vaccinated group also displayed protective effects against other infectious diseases, including fewer symptoms, lesser severity and fewer infectious disease events per patient. No BCG-related systemic adverse events occurred.

BCG’s broad-based infection protection suggests that, in addition to COVID-19, may potentially provide protection against new SARS-CoV-2 variants and other pathogens.

The researchers are hoping the results will spur a larger scale study of the effects of the BCG vaccine in patients with type 1 diabetes, considered among the most vulnerable groups to COVID-19.

The BCG vaccine is an avirulent tuberculosis strain Mycobacterium bovis historically given to protect against tuberculosis and, since its introduction in 1921, has been the most widely administered vaccine in the history of medicine.
https://www.massgeneral.org/news/press- ... -diabetics
Tincup
E3,E4
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

Tincup wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:00 am
Interesting in this recent study the BCG vaccine (100 years old) was shown to be 92% effective against COVID.
I read something about that early on in the pandemic. I wonder how many people died because we did not investigate what we already had in the arsenal. I was treated for TB when I was very young. I wonder if that provides additional protection.