Circadian Rhythm (new wiki)

TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Circadian Rhythm (new wiki)

Post by TheresaB »

The circadian system (24 hour rhythms of the body) drives the sleep-wake cycle, hormonal activity, body temperature, digestion, and immune function.

I’ve heard many stories of loved ones with dementia having no concept of day or night. So I’ve long wondered, if we are we dealing with a cause or a result. Turns out it’s both, a chicken and egg situation. Disrupted circadian rhythm encourages conditions that lead to cognitive deficits and that in turn feeds disrupted circadian rhythm which further feeds cell death, oxidative stress and amyloid deposition, on and on.

Being out of sync with one's circadian rhythms leads to many other health conditions besides Alzheimer's also. So this is an area every ApoE4 should be mindful of.

Thus I felt it was important to add this to our ApoE4 wiki. Direct link: Circadian Rhythm
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Circadian Rhythm (new wiki)

Post by NF52 »

TheresaB wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:44 pm The circadian system (24 hour rhythms of the body) drives the sleep-wake cycle, hormonal activity, body temperature, digestion, and immune function.

I’ve heard many stories of loved ones with dementia having no concept of day or night. So I’ve long wondered, if we are we dealing with a cause or a result. Turns out it’s both, a chicken and egg situation. Disrupted circadian rhythm encourages conditions that lead to cognitive deficits and that in turn feeds disrupted circadian rhythm which further feeds cell death, oxidative stress and amyloid deposition, on and on.

Being out of sync with one's circadian rhythms leads to many other health conditions besides Alzheimer's also. So this is an area every ApoE4 should be mindful of.

Thus I felt it was important to add this to our ApoE4 wiki. Direct link: Circadian Rhythm
This IS an important addition; complete with great suggestions and sources. And as someone who learned the hard way that hot chocolate at nighttime was a great way to ensure NOT getting to sleep--Thanks for the hard work!
4/4 and still an optimist!
SBee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SBee »

TheresaB wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:44 pm The circadian system (24 hour rhythms of the body) drives the sleep-wake cycle, hormonal activity, body temperature, digestion, and immune function.

Theresa,
This is really fantastic information and so comprehensive! I have struggled with getting good sleep in the past few years, and I have piece-mealed together strategies to try and improve the quality of my sleep. Thank you for your effort-this is super helpful :D
SBee
ApoE2/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Thanks for this great resource, Theresa!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

I just updated the Apoe4.info Circadian Rhythm wiki, the deeper dive into the science section, with a recently published study, a study that had a finding that I would not have expected and has a feel of being substantive – large (lots of participants) and longitudinal (over a good period of time) so I thought it should be brought to the attention of the readers of these forums.

We all basically know that metabolic syndrome (MetS) and circadian syndrome (CircS) have detrimental effects on cognition, this just published study Predictor of cognitive impairment: metabolic syndrome or circadian syndrome (Liu, Y., Zang, B., Shao, J. et al. BMC Geriatr 23, 408 (2023) https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-023-03996-x) indicates that alignment with our circadian rhythms may be even more important than we’ve realized.

From the study's conclusions:
Individuals with CircS alone or both MetS and CircS have a high risk of cognitive impairment. The association was even stronger in participants with CircS alone than those with both MetS and CircS, suggesting CircS probably have a stronger association with cognitive functioning than MetS and could be a better predictor for cognitive impairment.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4