Still looking for hope.

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Still looking for hope.

Post by floramaria »

J11 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:04 pm I have been reading a lot recently about the neurotoxicity of lead. {Strangely lead appears to interact with the amyloid protein.} Lead caused an enormous social crisis in America in the 1960s, 1970s 1980s and 1990s with sky high crime rates and a wide range of social dysfunctions. For those who lived through this first wave of lead neuropathology, there could be a second round as they age and then experience the delayed effects of lead on neurodegeneration.

It is, thus, probably a significant advantage for those who are now in their mid-60s, 70s and over instead of those in their 30s, 40s and 50s in terms of AD risk because ambient lead levels maxed out in the mid-1970s and those who are somewhat older will have avoided peak lead during critical periods of their brain development.
Hi J11, Seems to me that we still have plenty of social dysfunction!
Though ambient levels have gone down with the phasing out of leaded gasoline and the outlawing of residential house point with lead,
there are still abundant "opportunities" for exposure. Many municipal water systems contaminate the water they deliver with lead pipes. And millions of older homes still have lead paint.
But isn't attributing social ills to lead neurotoxicity, as if it were the primariy factor, an over-simplification of complex problems? It may well be a factor, but to say it "caused an enormous social crisis in America"...?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Flora, thank you for replying. Yes, that is the interesting thing people will typically watch the news cycle and see all the bad news and form the impression that things are worse than ever. We have hit a new all time low! One new time low after another.

It's only when you start searching through the statistical evidence that you realize things aren't so bad; in fact things aren't even that bad but in fact fairly good.

Consider this result for school violence. there has been over a ten fold reduction in typical type school violence and bullying over the last ~20 years? That's quite good news. As I have looked around I have found a great deal more of such evidence. From my current understanding most of this good news relates back to lowered lead levels.
School Crime 2001a.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2copies@43
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 2copies@43 »

My gosh I'm so sorry guys I just realized you guys responded but I did not receive a notification or maybe at once in my Spam folder