New study on lipids, statins and low carb diets

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

New study on lipids, statins and low carb diets

Post by SusanJ »

This is a review of existing research. Note, they say that no one has done a longitudinal study on the increase in lipids on a low carb diets (LCD) and its relationship to heart disease. With that said, they point out what we do know. Their conclusion is that statins are not needed for high lipids if other, more important, markers are in line.
Summary

Extensive research has demonstrated the efficacy of the LCD to improve the most robust CVD risk factors, such as hyperglycemia, hypertension, and atherogenic dyslipidemia. Our review of the literature indicates that statin therapy for both primary and secondary prevention of CVD is not warranted for individuals on an LCD with elevated LDL-C who have achieved a low triglyceride/HDL ratio.
https://journals.lww.com/co-endocrinolo ... th.14.aspx
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: New study on lipids, statins and low carb diets

Post by Tincup »

SusanJ wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:31 pm This is a review of existing research. Note, they say that no one has done a longitudinal study on the increase in lipids on a low carb diets (LCD) and its relationship to heart disease. With that said, they point out what we do know. Their conclusion is that statins are not needed for high lipids if other, more important, markers are in line.
I happened to spend a few days in a ski condo with Paul Mason (the senior author) in 2019. We had some interesting discussions. He's a very bright fellow and at that time a devoted carnivore. I respect Ben Bikman's research and have been at a number of his talks. David Diamond's Twitter handle is @LDLSkeptic.

All just to say that these guys all have low carb/keto bias. I'm basically in their camp, but I'm not sure for E4's that the answer is black & white. Hence, while I'm pretty low carb, I keep my fat intake relatively unsaturated and in the mono & poly category.
Tincup
E3,E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New study on lipids, statins and low carb diets

Post by SusanJ »

Tincup wrote:Hence, while I'm pretty low carb, I keep my fat intake relatively unsaturated and in the mono & poly category.
You and I are in the same camp. I also keep saturated fat on the low side.