DHA amounts

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

DHA amounts

Post by Jan18 »

Hey everyone,
Saw Bredesen discussing DHA on FB for us Apoe4 carriers and know he recommends we get way more DHA than the usual amount in a DHA-EPA krill or fish oil supplement. Was it 1000 mg a day? I can't remember.

But several of us asked in the comment section if he meant 1000 mg of DHA alone or some configuration that adds up to 1000 mg. I suspect it is the former, but cannot find a supplement with that much DHA in it.

I also need to know suggested brands that have this much. Google hasn't brought up anything so far for me.

Thanks!
shenmen100
Contributor
Contributor

Re: DHA amounts

Post by shenmen100 »

I use Carlson Elite DHA that has 2,270 mg DHA per tsp along with 430 mg EPA. Tastes good and very good brand.
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

Rhonda Patrick recommends 2g DHA per day; however, she published a paper that shows APOE4 carriers need the ethyl ester form, not the triglyceride form most fish oil supplements use. Apparently, the triglyceride form does not cross the blood brain barrier well in APOE4 carriers. Here's a clip of her discussing this topic on the Kevin Rose Show.

I asked my doctor for a prescription for the generic form of Lovaza. I take four capsules a day in a split dose, which gives me 1.5g of DHA and 1.86 g of EPA in ethyl ester form. Rhonda said it's important to split omega-3 doses, and the ester ethyl form must be taken with food.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

shenmen100 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:19 pm I use Carlson Elite DHA that has 2,270 mg DHA per tsp along with 430 mg EPA. Tastes good and very good brand.
Thanks for the info. "Tastes good"? Do I assume it's a liquid then? I'm looking for capsules, because I'm retired and travel a lot....sometimes flying but sometimes driving for several days. I used to take food from the fridge to whatever condo I'd rented so as not to waste it. But it was a hassle when staying overnight at hotels along the way....finding ice to keep it cold in coolers, lugging the cooler in and out, etc. So I don't want to travel with anything I need to keep cold.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

xactly wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:51 pm Rhonda Patrick recommends 2g DHA per day; however, she published a paper that shows APOE4 carriers need the ethyl ester form, not the triglyceride form most fish oil supplements use. Apparently, the triglyceride form does not cross the blood brain barrier well in APOE4 carriers. Here's a clip of her discussing this topic on the Kevin Rose Show.

I asked my doctor for a prescription for the generic form of Lovaza. I take four capsules a day in a split dose, which gives me 1.5g of DHA and 1.86 g of EPA in ethyl ester form. Rhonda said it's important to split omega-3 doses, and the ester ethyl form must be taken with food.
Thank you for this info. I didn't know who Rhonda Patrick was but now I do. Listened to her presentation. In 2020 when this was recorded, I think she said she took Nordic Pure 3. When I do a search for it, I'm directed to a page that says they are working on getting more produced so it appears it isn't available now. Do you know anything about that?

Questions: Are we supposed to have a higher intake of DHA or EPA in a supplement? By split dose, do you mean you take two capsules that contain both the DHA and EPA twice a day or that you take the DHA in one dose and the EPA in another (in other words, they are not combined)?

Just asking, because I've never seen the two separate. Can you define "split dose" please?

I looked up Lovaza and see a lot of common, unpleasant side effects. Did you have trouble with any?
shenmen100
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shenmen100 »

Carleson also has a pill version with 1000mg DHA called Elite DHA gems with only DHA

https://www.vitacost.com/carlson-elite- ... lsrc=aw.ds
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

shenmen100 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:57 pm Carleson also has a pill version with 1000mg DHA called Elite DHA gems with only DHA

https://www.vitacost.com/carlson-elite- ... lsrc=aw.ds
Oh, thanks shenmen100. Although I can't imagine the body can absorb 1000mg at one dose, though, can it? If we are to take 1000mg, wouldn't it be of more benefit to take 500mg twice daily?
shenmen100
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shenmen100 »

There are plenty of DHA supplements with 500mg/ish DHA around, I like the High elite dose figuring if I as a 3/4 if I do not absorb it well in the brain at least some should get thru. I do not notice bleeding problems and I do try to eat a lot of fish too. Anyway I like Carlson, Thorne, Nordic Naturals as my go to DHA supplement brands, there are more out there, Look for IFOS certification
https://certifications.nutrasource.ca/c ... value=IFOS
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

Hi,

I am not a frequent poster here, but I ran across something recently that may be of interest. LPC DHA transports DHA / EPA through Mfsd2a across the selective Blood-Brain barrier. The studies show great benefit for this type of DHA, especially for Apoe4 carriers. However, as far as I know, you can't buy this type of DHA anywhere.

So I was amazed, when I once again went shopping for a superior krill oil, I found out about a new Krill oil product that has been developed by Aker BioMarine, called Lysoveta. It is Krill oil, harvested from Antarctica, and then put through a process (developed in collaboration with University of Illinois), which transforms it into lysophosphatidylcholine bound DHA / EPA. Aker BioMarine has recently signed an agreement with Trofi Nutritional Inc to develop medical foods and products based on Lysoveta, targeting Alzheimers, diabetes, infertility, dry eye drops, and also pre-natal supplements in the US. Commercialization is to begin by the end of 2022, and products available by 2024.

Anyone else hear about this? I'm thinking this is really great news!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8282213/
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Lulu wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:39 am

Anyone else hear about this? I'm thinking this is really great news!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8282213/
Wow, thanks Lulu! That does sound great! We'll have to keep our eyes on that!