Dietery Advice

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Lottiepoulton
Contributor
Contributor

Dietery Advice

Post by Lottiepoulton »

HI

Im new here, please forgive me if this is an oft repeated subject. I am homozygous APOE4 and Im confused about whether I should be on a Keto diet or not, for preventative measures. I am experimenting with it at the moment but it seems so restrictive on vegetables and fruit I am skeptical and I miss my vegetables and legumes and wonder if a mediteranean or paleo be better
Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?

Thank you!
Alexia C
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Dietery Advice

Post by Alexia C »

Lottiepoulton wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:34 am HI

Im new here, please forgive me if this is an oft repeated subject. I am homozygous APOE4 and Im confused about whether I should be on a Keto diet or not, for preventative measures. I am experimenting with it at the moment but it seems so restrictive on vegetables and fruit I am skeptical and I miss my vegetables and legumes and wonder if a mediteranean or paleo be better

Thank you!
Hi Lottiepoulton,

Welcome! Thank you for joining our site and posting in our forum. I am sure other members will contribute to your question about Keto, Mediterranean or Paleo diets. It can definitely become overwhelming as you navigate which choices to make. I have personally tried keto and have found it very difficult due to its restrictions. I mainly stay with mediterranean as it works best for me. Something I can share about my experience, is that not every diet is for everyone. Listening to your body is a great strategy to learn what is best for you. Check this link out in case it helps to answers some of your questions.

Eating a Healthy Diet with Heaps of Micronutrients

As a welcome intern, I would also like to point out other some links/resources that might be helpful as you explore the site further. The Primer includes researched-based prevention strategies. It has been written by Stavia, a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stores. You might find some with inquiries similar to yours that can steer you in the right direction.

Again, I am so glad you joined our forum and hope you find the support you need. Your curiosity to learn and understand different approaches will assist you in taking all the preventive measures for better health. Above all- Listen to your body.

I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Warm regards,

Alexia C
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Lottiepoulton
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lottiepoulton »

“ Dear Alexia, thank you so much for those helpful tips. I will spend some time this week investigating the resources. I didn’t realise there was so much here!
Yes you are right about listening to your body, I will heed that advice”
Alexia C
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Alexia C »

Dear Lottiepoulton,

Let me know how your research goes. With diets/food it always be a little of trial and error as we are all different.....then again- that can be part of the fun! Take care, Alexia C
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Lottiepoulton wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:34 am I am experimenting with it at the moment but it seems so restrictive on vegetables and fruit I am skeptical
Following a ketogenic diet has many benefits, especially for ApoE4s. But it doesn't have to be as restrictive as you seem to perceive, nor, depending on your circumstances doesn't necessarily have to raise ketone levels that high or constant. Some folks need a continuous higher level of ketones for therapeutic reasons (cancer, epilepsy, etc) and some need a higher level of ketones to maintain proper mental focus. But for most, it doesn't need to be that way.

There are folks who maintain a vegan keto diet. I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but the majority of the food I eat on my ketogenic diet is plant based, which is what Dr Bredesen recommends. If you refer to our wiki article The Bredesen Protocol (ReCODE)™ explained for laypeople you will see his food pyramid and will note the approach to eating should include mostly non-starchy vegetables and healthy fats. Plants hold a number of compounds that offer neuroprotective effects which aid in Alzheimer's prevention and in blocking the progression of Alzheimer’s.

Generating ketones also isn't strictly dependent on just food. You will also note from Dr Bredesen's pyramid that at the foundation of the pyramid is fasting, the purpose of which is to help generate ketones as well as encourage autophagy. If you refer to our wiki article Ketosis and Ketogenic Diet and scroll down, you will see another pyramid on top of a bed illustrating that good sleep and exercise also contribute to generating ketones in addition to diet and fasting.

A ketogenic diet generates ketones, that's it, what is eaten on a ketogenic diet can vary greatly. A person can generate ketones on a diet of just rice and potatoes (not recommended) if they calorie restrict enough.
Lottiepoulton wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:34 am Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?
My recommendation is to familiarize yourself more with Dr Bredesen and the dietary recommendations in his book, The End of Alzheimer's Program and follow a plant-based keto diet.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Lottiepoulton
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lottiepoulton »

I want to thank you both for your advice and everyone on this website. Now Ive looked properly, and followed your links, the information here is just incredible. Ive been struggling to find a way to adapt 'generic dementia prevention' advice to specific 4/4 advice. This is just amazing! Im happily munching vegetables again and squeezing in research while the kids are at school. It's so exciting to read all this. And the fact that its all free and accessible. Just a wonderful generosity of time and knowledge, especially when everyone is so busy these days!
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Lottiepoulton wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:34 am HI

Thank you!
Hi there,

Generally, the recommendation is that one eats lots of plants. Most of us are either mostly plant-based low carb (some eat fish) or plant-based low fat. I am in the latter group. I look to Drs. Dean and Ayesha Sherzai, Dr. Dean Ornish, Michael Greger, Neal Barnard, etc. Many of these doctors have written books on the topic. For example, The Alzheimer's Solution by the Sherzais. Dean Ornish is currently doing a study on Whole Foods Plant Based Low Fat diets for Alzheimer's prevention. I find this diet works well for me, as well as my glucose levels and lipids. I feel good.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR