too much olive oil?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

too much olive oil?

Post by JD2020 »

I have posted before about my challenges maintaining weight within the parameters of the program. I finally downloaded Cronometer to make sure that I am not in some weird anorexic denial about how much I am eating. I am not. So, I have added 5 T olive oil in the am. I am putting it in a cup and drinking it. I wish I didn't have to do something so weird, but the situation is becoming dire. Then there is the additional olive oil throughout the day. Yesterday was a low total at 7 T in total. I have been maintaining at least 10 T per day.

Here is the question: is this ok? Does consuming that much olive oil throw something else out of balance?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: too much olive oil?

Post by NF52 »

JD2020 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:26 am I have posted before about my challenges maintaining weight within the parameters of the program. I finally downloaded Cronometer to make sure that I am not in some weird anorexic denial about how much I am eating. I am not. So, I have added 5 T olive oil in the am. I am putting it in a cup and drinking it. I wish I didn't have to do something so weird, but the situation is becoming dire. Then there is the additional olive oil throughout the day. Yesterday was a low total at 7 T in total. I have been maintaining at least 10 T per day.

Here is the question: is this ok? Does consuming that much olive oil throw something else out of balance?
Hi JD2020,

I don't think I could make myself drink 5 Tablespoons of olive oil--and I like olive oil! I have read some of your previous posts that mentioned an eating disorder in either college or young adulthood, and your difficulty with maintaining weight--apologies if I'm not phrasing that very well! I wonder if you've considered that your nutrition needs as a 50-something, presumably post-menopausal woman have changed from earlier years and your body now needs more protein and at least some carbs as well as healthy fats to not be in a "dire situation". Are you comfortable sharing what else you are eating--and hopefully enjoying? We have lots of people with more nutrition knowledge than me on the forum who might be able to suggest things based on what's on your plate now.

Below is a link to a 2021 article on a range of possible nutrition choices for those of us with ApoE4. One of the co-authors, Dr. Richard Isaacson, was for the last 15 years or so the Director of the Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic at Weill-Cornell Hospital in NYC and is now starting up a similar program in Florida. I've found the explanations in the article helpful and the guidance on various food groups and the evidence for the benefit of various approaches reasonable.
Precision Nutrition for Alzheimer's Prevention in ApoE4 Carriers

That inner voice that says this is "dire" and maybe "weird anorexic denial" sounds like your friend. If you have a trusted health care provider or therapist you've used in the past, 2022 might be the year you deserve to reach out to them for their thoughts.
4/4 and still an optimist!
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

Thanks for the reply. I have been so healthy for such a long time. It is proof to me that God is real and continues to work miracles. My eating disorder was very serious. I learned to listen to my body...Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full, make good food choices. It was so thrilling to realize that my body would send me the signals, and I could trust it. My relationship with my appetite and food is peaceful. I am just too darn thin because I no longer graze on cheese and crackers a couple of times a day or eat cookies and ice cream on a daily basis.

The dire situation is that I am 59 and 5'7" and my weight has just been on a slow trajectory downward. I was a solid 125 - 128 for a very long time. I hit 117 two weeks ago. Plus I think I'm going to have to have more periodontal surgery. I need some cushion. A friend I've known since high school told me she's never seen me look so thin. That's where some denial comes in. I knew that the number was low, but my family hadn't said anything, so I pretended that it didn't matter. My husband said that I look about the same...but he's a man.

In light of the eating disorder history, I downloaded Cronometer to make sure that I was being honest with myself. I'm good. Homemade yogurt, flaxseed, blueberries, 1/2 banana, latte in the am. Big salad, lots of olive oil, a little goat cheese for lunch, dinner is whatever is in front of me. I add some protein to the salad if there's something around. Today was 2 hard boiled eggs. Sometimes smoked salmon. Sometimes chicken. Sometimes sardines (not my favorite). My husband is a good cook. Anything from salmon and veggies and some grain to shrimp tacos (last night) to meatball sandwiches (my favorite food) to perfectly cooked steak to seafood risotto, etc. But you are right that I am light on protein, so I am working on that. My ReCode doc recently identified that issue from my blood work.

If I set up the Cronometer right (using the guidance in Julie's book), I should be getting around around 1800 calories per day. I exceed that on a normal day. Now I'm up around 2800 - 3300 (one day), trying to get back to 125. It is a gastronomical challenge. I think my metabolism is just fast.

Back to the olive oil...I have found that if I hold it in my mouth for a minute and swallow without breathing, I can get it down pretty easily. This brings me back to my original question...Is it ok to consume this much olive oil?
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

NF52 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:56 pm
Below is a link to a 2021 article on a range of possible nutrition choices for those of us with ApoE4. One of the co-authors, Dr. Richard Isaacson, was for the last 15 years or so the Director of the Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic at Weill-Cornell Hospital in NYC and is now starting up a similar program in Florida. I've found the explanations in the article helpful and the guidance on various food groups and the evidence for the benefit of various approaches reasonable.
P.S. Thanks for the link to the article. It took me a long time to read it. If I strictly adhered to the low carb recommendations, I would have even more difficulty maintaining, much less gaining, weight. I joined this group in late 2019 or early 2020, and I have seen many other posts with people struggling with this issue. I think that the food recommendations for cognitive health do not necessarily align with what some of us need in order to maintain a healthy weight.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

JD2020 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:35 pm
NF52 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:56 pm
P.S. Thanks for the link to the article. It took me a long time to read it. If I strictly adhered to the low carb recommendations, I would have even more difficulty maintaining, much less gaining, weight. I joined this group in late 2019 or early 2020, and I have seen many other posts with people struggling with this issue. I think that the food recommendations for cognitive health do not necessarily align with what some of us need in order to maintain a healthy weight.
Hi again,

I'd agree that we all need to find what works for us--and your meal choices sound wonderfully appetizing and healthy!
Two ideas:
1) Is there any chance the olive oil is speeding up movement of food through your digestive system before the calories and nutrients can be absorbed?
2) Losing 8-11 lbs without trying seems like a good reason to seek some blood tests to see what's causing that fast metabolism. And maybe you'll just be someone who needs more food than the guidelines: like a friend of mine who could eat about 4000 calories on Thanksgiving (and close to that other days) while weighing about 90" at 4"11!

Hope some other folks offer some advice!
Nancy
4/4 and still an optimist!
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

NF52 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:02 pm
Two ideas:
1) Is there any chance the olive oil is speeding up movement of food through your digestive system before the calories and nutrients can be absorbed?
2) Losing 8-11 lbs without trying seems like a good reason to seek some blood tests to see what's causing that fast metabolism. And maybe you'll just be someone who needs more food than the guidelines: like a friend of mine who could eat about 4000 calories on Thanksgiving (and close to that other days) while weighing about 90" at 4"11!
1. Interesting thought. I've only been doing this for the last week. But I wonder if there is something else inhibiting absorption of calories. Thanks for the idea.

2. I just had my very expensive annual appointment with many, many blood tests. Still, I see the wisdom in the suggestion and will keep this in mind.

Thanks for participating in this conversation.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

JD2020 wrote:Here is the question: is this ok?
I'm one of those who can't keep on weight with a high fat diet.

I do agree with NF52 that you could use more protein. Because you are eating some carbs, you might be okay with your current g/day there.

I now personally shoot for 75 g of protein and 125 g of net carbs and I'm slowly adding back weight (Edit: I am 5'6" and started around 113, now up to 115 after a little over a month). I'd suggest more than an egg or two (not as much protein as you might think) or a little cheese. Maybe reset your cronometer protein goals a bit higher and see if you can hit a higher protein target every day.

I know some folks are worried about protein and gluconeogenesis, but if you have enough carbs available, you likely won't have a problem with the extra protein being converted, so it can be used instead to maintain/improve muscle mass. Here is a good summary of that issue: https://www.livestrong.com/article/4579 ... in-or-fat/
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

SusanJ wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:31 pm
I'm one of those who can't keep on weight with a high fat diet.
Thanks! I knew that I'd seen others post who have this challenge. Thank you also for the link to the article, which makes it perfectly clear why I need to eat more protein. Another thing to work on.

On the same website, I found this article

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4973 ... ur-health/

Which includes this....

A clinical trial published in JAMA Internal Medicine in July 2015 compared a Mediterranean style diet supplemented with extra virgin olive oil — 1 liter per week — to a reduced-fat control diet.

Results of the study included follow-up cognitive tests on 334 participants after four years. The conclusion was that a Mediterranean diet supplemented with olive oil (or nuts) may counteract age-related cognitive decline in an older population.

Siri tells me that 1 liter of olive oil is 67.63 T. There is no mention of concerns about consuming that much olive oil. I am going to carry on, for now. Once I get a little cushion, I will return to an eating plan that is something closer to "normal".
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Hi JD2020,

Try taking digestive enzymes with your meals to make sure that you are absorbing the nutrients.

Also, do you eat nuts? Walnuts are high in omega 3.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

Plumster wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:59 pm Hi JD2020,

Try taking digestive enzymes with your meals to make sure that you are absorbing the nutrients.

Also, do you eat nuts? Walnuts are high in omega 3.
I take them for 2 of my meals...but there is no reason why I shouldn't also take them with dinner. I will do that.

And yes to walnuts.

Thank you for the response.