Intro

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
rdpchef
Contributor
Contributor

Intro

Post by rdpchef »

HI,
I'm 59 years old, have had grandparents on both sides with alzheimers, my mother and her brother with Lewy Body Dementia. I stopped eating sugar, dairy and wheat over two years ago after finding out my mother was diagnosed with LBD. I recently found out that I was 4/4. I'm already doing the work so it didn't crush me as much as if I found out two years ago.
Fortunately i enjoy the gym, staying fit, cooking, eating well and nature. I guess my downfall is stress but I've started meditating which is helping.
I'm looking forward to reading all I can on these pages.

Patty
Goldygirl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Intro

Post by Goldygirl »

rdpchef wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:49 pm HI,
I'm 59 years old, have had grandparents on both sides with alzheimers, my mother and her brother with Lewy Body Dementia. I stopped eating sugar, dairy and wheat over two years ago after finding out my mother was diagnosed with LBD. I recently found out that I was 4/4. I'm already doing the work so it didn't crush me as much as if I found out two years ago.
Fortunately i enjoy the gym, staying fit, cooking, eating well and nature. I guess my downfall is stress but I've started meditating which is helping.
I'm looking forward to reading all I can on these pages.

Patty
Welcome rdpchef!
As a Support Team Intern, I would like to welcome you to the ApoE4.info website. We are so glad that you found this wonderfully supportive community!

Like you, I too share a family history of AD and LBD. In addition, my mom lived with cerebral vascular dementia and I am also trying my best to stay active and fit, eat well, and take care of myself. It is very reassuring to know that genes are not our destiny, and there is so much that is under our control to live long, healthy lives. Kudos to you for making healthy choices that enable you to eat well and be active. The fact that you have started meditating is a great step towards improving your awareness of self, living more mindfully, and managing stress. There is lots of valuable information available on this forum to further support you on your journey.

First, if you would like to learn more about ApoE4, the Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing Medical Doctor with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

In addition, the How to Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums and respond to posts including how to quote members (use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post) so they get an email notification of your post. It also demonstrates how to use the “Search” function for topics, and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

Finally, if you would like to learn more about other community members' experiences or even share more about your own, you can link to Our Stories.

I hope you find these tools useful as you navigate the site. Thank you for your helpful contribution and I encourage you to continue to share about your experiences. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need any assistance.

Best in health,
Barbara
Goldygirl
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
TLS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TLS »

Welcome to the site! You're ahead of the game with the lifestyle changes you've implemented.
apoe 3/4
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

It sounds like you're already doing a lot of the work! I find stress is something I'm needing to work on and find new approaches to all the time. I'm doing some meditation. I'm not feeling like I'm doing that well with it. I know everyone's mind wanders and it takes practice etc., but I quite often feel like my mind wandered so far, I'm not even listening anymore and have no idea what I was supposed to be doing, but my "to do" list benefits! :-)
I also take saunas and try to either meditate or listen to some classical music in there.
And I try to take a bath in Epsom salts and relax (esp before bed) when I can.
I'm trying to just do some deep breaths now and again in the day.
And I like to walk, so I'm trying to be more mindful while doing that - really look at nature and focus on that while I'm out.
And I do get lost in a good book, so I'm thinking that's more "flow" than meditation, but probably all in the same vein.
What else have you tried?
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach
rdpchef
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rdpchef »

I've just started using the Sauna Blanket. My natural healthcare provider suggested it and i've had my eye on it for a while anyway. Going to start testing ketones as well, my meter just arrived. And i'm working out with my old trainer to make sure i safely put on muscle. I think i'm doing all of the right things. Oh, I'm learning Spanish as well to keep my brain active. That will likely be the most difficult task.
I should read more but I still work and there is only enough time in a day.
rdpchef
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rdpchef »

Thank you TLS.
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

rdpchef wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:30 pm I've just started using the Sauna Blanket. My natural healthcare provider suggested it and i've had my eye on it for a while anyway. Going to start testing ketones as well, my meter just arrived. And i'm working out with my old trainer to make sure i safely put on muscle. I think i'm doing all of the right things. Oh, I'm learning Spanish as well to keep my brain active. That will likely be the most difficult task.
I should read more but I still work and there is only enough time in a day.
That is great work! Spanish should keep you occupied for a while!
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach