Sourcing Homotaurine

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Sourcing Homotaurine

Post by Rainbow »

Does anyone know of a quality source of homotaurine for experimental use? I'm only aware of https://us.supersmart.com/en/shop/brain ... ement-0661. Their certificate of analysis looks rather informal (I don't see any evidence that it was provided by a third party) and it doesn't show any heavy metal testing, which makes me feel a little uncomfortable about purchasing.
4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Sourcing Homotaurine

Post by Julie G »

Rainbow wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:23 pm Does anyone know of a quality source of homotaurine for experimental use? I'm only aware of https://us.supersmart.com/en/shop/brain ... ement-0661. Their certificate of analysis looks rather informal (I don't see any evidence that it was provided by a third party) and it doesn't show any heavy metal testing, which makes me feel a little uncomfortable about purchasing.
That's the only one I can find as well. I think Tincup takes it (weekly?), not sure of his brand. I'm considering taking it daily.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Rainbow wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:23 pm Does anyone know of a quality source of homotaurine for experimental use? I'm only aware of https://us.supersmart.com/en/shop/brain ... ement-0661. Their certificate of analysis looks rather informal (I don't see any evidence that it was provided by a third party) and it doesn't show any heavy metal testing, which makes me feel a little uncomfortable about purchasing.
Julie G wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:51 am That's the only one I can find as well. I think Tincup takes it (weekly?), not sure of his brand. I'm considering taking it daily.
Hi Rainbow,

Short answer is that I only know of the SuperSmart brand. I've been taking it one tablet (50 mg) once a week for about 2 years. A month or two ago, I upped it to once a day a month or two ago.

If you haven't run across it, you might want to read this thread

Trying to balance minerals, I've been doing mineral hair analysis for about 18 months. These reports also show heavy metals. I've also been repleting iodine with high (37.5 mg/day of 60% iodide, 40% iodine as liquid Lugols solution) doses fully using the protocol and cofactors as described here. The reason I bring this up is that the moderator of an iodine has the cleanest heavy metal hair analysis I've ever seen. In my case, I pulled a hair analysis after about two and three months on this and they look good, though not yet pristine. So I haven't seen a negative from taking the brand you reference. I don't recommend doing what I'm doing with iodine without fully understanding all the parts of the protocol.
Tincup
E3,E4
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks JulieG and Tincup!
Tincup wrote: Trying to balance minerals, I've been doing mineral hair analysis for about 18 months. These reports also show heavy metals. I've also been repleting iodine with high (37.5 mg/day of 60% iodide, 40% iodine as liquid Lugols solution) doses fully using the protocol and cofactors as described here. The reason I bring this up is that the moderator of an iodine has the cleanest heavy metal analysis I've ever seen. In my case, I pulled an analysis after about two and three months on this and they look good, though not yet pristine. So I haven't seen a negative from taking the brand you reference. I don't recommend doing what I'm doing with iodine without fully understanding all the parts of the protocol.
I appreciate all the information about this protocol in the document you linked. It looks intriguing! I'm going to dig in.
4/4
blp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by blp »

I just noticed this thread. I'm glad to see others are in interested in homotaurine/tramiprosate. A couple of years ago I read every article I could find on the topic. I concluded that there was a fair chance this drug could be beneficial and reasonable evidence that it was not harmful. So I started taking it in April 2021, now more than a year and a half ago. Supersmart was the only source I could find for individual dosages as opposed to bulk amounts for scientific study. I initially started at the 100 mg (2 capsules) twice a day dosage. Later I moved to 150 mg twice a day (6 capsules or 300 mg in total each day) since that was the dosage that showed the greatest improvement in 4/4 carriers like myself. I have tolerated homotaurine very well.

Separately I participate in a healthy brain study that includes annual cognitive assessments and has also included MRIs and a PET scan. From those tests I know I already have a significant amyloid plaque load, but so far there is no evidence of cognitive decline beyond what any 70-year-old might expect to experience. Whether the homotaurine has actually helped in my case I can't know, but the balance of risk and promise makes it a good bet -- for me -- in the absence of any other well established safe and effective options. Of course I'm very interested in what the ALZ-801 (the prodrug version of tramiprosate) studies will show.