Hope! Health/healing is in all of us, NOW. Documentary: Defying All Odds, Dr Wahls

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Hope! Health/healing is in all of us, NOW. Documentary: Defying All Odds, Dr Wahls

Post by TheresaB »

Almost 10 years ago, this website was formed. Its purpose was to support each other, to be our own activists, and address strategies to prevent/delay the onset of health concerns that befall ApoE4s because conventional medicine wasn’t doing it for us.

As I reflect over the past 10 years, I view conventional medicine still has little to offer us. Oh sure, there are drugs that offer some benefit and there is greater understanding of the different APOE variants, but I don’t see that conventional medicine has much to really offer us ApoE4s, to truly address our health frailties. As I view it, conventional medicine is impeded by many obstacles, including:
  • Drug companies are highly motivated to offer a drug that can aid with Alzheimer’s, but their motive is profit, not overall health/well being. Drugs target symptoms, but rarely heal from within to restore overall health.
  • The FDA is desperate. This is evidenced by their 2021 action of conditionally approving a drug, Aducanumab / Aduhelm, largely because of the pressure of not being able to approve any drug for Alzheimer’s since 2003. This approval was based on a hypothesis, the amyloid hypothesis as the cause of AD, and the best this drug could offer was a slowing of progression. So desperate was the FDA, they ignored recommendation of the advisory based to reject approval due to lack of convincing evidence regarding benefits and because of known significant harms/side effects.
  • The last 10 years has only continued the debate as to true root causes of Alzheimer’s: brain insulin resistance, autoimmunity, mitochondrial dysfunction, infections, toxins, leaky gut, too much amyloid, too little amyloid, inflammation, vascular constriction, and on and on. If we don’t truly know the root cause(s), how we can have a drug that truly treats Alzheimer’s? In my opinion, if anyone says, “this one thing is the cause of Alzheimer’s” or “this singular thing is the cure” RUN AWAY IMMEDIATELY.
I’m not against incorporating drugs for treatment, I just personally feel its time has not yet come and is not forthcoming anytime soon.

I do believe one thing is indisputable, the body is a system of interdependent functions and overall body health means cognitive health and a longer healthspan. I don’t see how a singular drug could deliver overall health. While a drug cocktail may someday be helpful, today's studies show that polypharmacy is associated with an increased risk of dementia. So what’s an ApoE4 to do?

We need hope! Real hope, not false hope. Today hope, not future possibilities hope. I recently watched a documentary on Dr Terry Wahls and it reignited my optimism that there is hope, real hope, today!

We (us members of ApoE4.info) discovered Dr Terry Wahls many years ago and discussed her health journey in past threads, but those discussions have been buried over the years. With this post I want to resurrect our hope and our awareness, not necessarily on her protocol specifically, but on the theme of how lifestyle choices can greatly determine our own health destiny. ApoE4s especially have a great need to make healthful decisions. Preferably we make those decisions before the situation is dire as it was with Dr Wahls.

Dr Wahls’ story in a nutshell is that she became debilitated by a neurodegenerative disease (multiple sclerosis). She pursued the best conventional medicine had to offer (she practiced conventional medicine herself) but it did not even arrest her decline. She knew she faced a future of pain, dementia, continued physical debilitation, and premature death. But through her research, she was able to get out of the zero-gravity chair that her weak muscles needed and she regained her well-being. It’s an amazing story.

Her “a-ha moment” was recognizing that disease begins at the cellular level: when cells are starved of the building blocks they need to conduct the chemistry of life properly. She took control of her health by giving her cells the necessary building blocks they need, largely through a diet directed at her brain and mitochondria.

The documentary on Dr Wahls that I’m referring to is called Defying All Odds – The Power of Healing Lies Within You. It’s available from multiple sources including: Amazon’s Prime Video, Itunes, Tubi, and Plex. German, Spanish and French subtitles are available under watch worldwide. There is a small fee to rent or purchase the documentary, but in my humble opinion it should be viewed by all ApoE4s, because of the hope it presents. It’s real inspiration, lived by a real person, not theoretical inspiration.

I want this thread to be about hope and to honor the roots of why this organization was formed, i.e. to provide helpful information that ApoE4s can employ and to be supportive of each other. If anyone chooses to post here, please stick to hopeful, practical discussions. Please refrain from bashing my thoughts on conventional medicine and current pharmaceutical offerings. I know not everyone thinks that way. Everyone has their own opinion and alternate opinions have been amply expressed in other threads, they should remain in those threads. Let's keep this thread productive.

An addendum on Dr Wahls. She now practices functional medicine and has helped many people with multiple conditions, not just MS, by using her protocol. She’s authored a book, then updated and revised it, The Revised, Expanded Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Autoimmune Conditions. Additionally, we have an interview with Dr Wahls, including show notes, “Heal Neurodegeneration w/ Paleo Principles”.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Hope! Health/healing is in all of us, NOW. Documentary: Defying All Odds, Dr Wahls

Post by Tincup »

TheresaB wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:42 am but in my humble opinion it should be viewed by all ApoE4s, because of the hope it presents
I agree with Theresa. In 2016, Julie G of our group invited Steven Gundry MD and Dale Bredesen MD to talk at the AHS 16 Conference in Boulder, CO USA. She'd made arrangements with the AHS organizers for us to tag along and provide a few talks as we did not have the membership needed to do our own conference. Turns out that Terry Wahls' ghost writer was a member here and Wahls had been invited to speak also (unrelated to ApoE4.info). Julie introduced all three to each other and invited them to have dinner with our group for several nights. TheresaB and I had the pleasure of sitting next to Wahls for a couple of those nights and chatting with her.

One of the things that stuck with me is how at her then VA practice (with a 6 month wait to get in then), she was successfully treating veterans with PTSD, depression and TBI's with the protocol she'd developed for herself. She was very sensitive that many of the disabled vets had limited income and resources. She set up classes to teach them how to grow their own food. In the VA, she had limited resources for blood tests, for example. She got by with very few.

At one conference I attended virtually, the Metabolic Health Summit (May 2022), a number of the presentations were on "metabolic psychiatry." This would fit in well with what Wahls is doing.

She's had an appointment in the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Iowa for many years. More recently, she's gotten appointments as Clinical Professor of Epidemiology and Clinical Professor of Neurology. She's also gotten material funding for her studies from the NIH and the MS Society. I think she just got a study approved to apply her approach to patients with ALS.

Here is a link to the documentary Theresa mentions to purchase it for $4.90 US (in addition to the other places Theresa mentions).
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Hope! Health/healing is in all of us, NOW. Documentary: Defying All Odds, Dr Wahls

Post by Julie G »

Beautiful post, Theresa. We all enjoyed spending time with Dr. Wahls back in Denver. Her personal story is incredibly inspirational. I find it very telling that she switched from practicing mainstream medicine to functional medicine once that approach ending up saving her life. We need more physicians like Dr. Wahls.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Tincup wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:47 pm
TheresaB wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:42 am but in my humble opinion it should be viewed by all ApoE4s, because of the hope it presents

Here is a link to the documentary Theresa mentions to purchase it for $4.90 US (in addition to the other places Theresa mentions).
Hi Tincup!
I tried to buy this through the link, but it wouldn't take. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Jan18
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jan18 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:27 pm
Hi Tincup!
I tried to buy this through the link, but it wouldn't take. Suggestions?
Hi Jan, the link worked for me before I posted, but possibly:
Apple TV

Amazon

Tubi (which I've never used)

Plex (which I've also never used)
Tincup
E3,E4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Tincup wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:44 pm

Hi Jan, the link worked for me before I posted, but possibly:
Apple TV

Amazon

Tubi (which I've never used)

Plex (which I've also never used)
Thanks, Tincup!

I have Prime and Apple TV so I'll check those....am at the beach for the month and though I brought my Roku stick, I hate to mess with their Cox boxes, etc. (Cox - ugh. So behind the times at the beach!) But I should be able to get both on my laptop.

Film looks good!

Jan 18
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Jan18 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:56 pm I have Prime and Apple TV so I'll check those....a
Yes, it is available on Prime and Itunes, for a minimal fee.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Thanks, TheresaB! Nice to "meet" you this weekend. :)
KWP
New User
New User

Post by KWP »

This is my first day as a member. I joined after reading The End of Alzheimer’s which my primary care physician recommended. I saw first-hand what the disease did to my mother. Knowing I carry the gene has made me scared and anxious. But knowing this group exists and seeing all the hopeful information makes me realize I can fight this and WIN!! Thank you!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

KWP wrote: I joined after reading The End of Alzheimer’s which my primary care physician recommended.
Welcome!! Having a primary doc on board with this is absolutely wonderful!!!
Tincup
E3,E4