Carnivore Diet and Bredesen Protocol

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Windsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Carnivore Diet and Bredesen Protocol

Post by Windsurfer »

We are working with a resident in my assisted living home to implement the Bredesen Protocol. We have hired A Mind for All Seasons to help us implement the protocol. As we have talked to this company about the Bredesen Protocol, we came to an agreement to modify the diet to a more carnivore diet.

We have had great success with this diet with another patient in our assisted living home. She came to us weighing 548 lbs. In just 45 days on the carnivore diet, she has lost 90lbs. We agreed with A Mind for All Seasons that eating a carnivore diet may have the same result as the Bredesen Keto-Flex diet. So far our lady on the Bredesen Protocol is showing some improvement.

I also found this article that seems to agree that a carnivore diet helps. In addition, it allows old people to take in a lot of protein and help prevent or mitigate Sarcopenia.

It would be great to know what other people on this forum think of going carnivore? I have personally been doing it pretty well for about a year now and LOVE my results and overall health.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Carnivore Diet and Bredesen Protocol

Post by TheresaB »

A carnivore diet can be a good cleansing diet for inflammation, it eliminates all the food that the body has been reacting to in an autoimmune response. However, I am of the opinion that (and this opinion was derived from an interview I heard a few years ago with devout carnivore (APOE status unknown) Amber O’Hearn who suggested the same for most people) that a carnivore diet should be temporary, not a life-long diet. This is particularly true for ApoE4s. Once a person has healed their leaky gut and reduced their inflammation, they should slowly reintroduce good, healthy, low glycemic, low-inflammatory carbohydrates, i.e certain vegetables.

Since you are familiar with the Bredesen Protocol, you already know that his food pyramid has animal protein (and fruit) at the top of the pyramid just below indulgences. He has said servings of animal protein should be small, treated more like a condiment. Of course this is variable per person. Protein should be adequate, neither too much nor too little, individually determined, refer to the discussion on protein in his book, The End of Alzheimer’s Program.

Dr Bredesen advocates a plant rich ketogenic diet. There are several reasons for this.
Phytochemicals (chemicals from plants) hold antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-amyloid, and anticholinesterase properties - the four fundamental pillars identified in the process of Alzheimer’s. You can read a whole lot more on this in our wiki Beneficial (and some negative) Plant/Natural Chemicals.

Going strictly carnivore eliminates fiber from the diet completely. People used to consume 100 grams of fiber in their diet, today, that number is closer to 5, it would be zero on a carnivore diet. Fiber feeds the good gut bugs (necessary for many reasons for more info read our wiki Gut-Brain Connection: Leaky Gut/Leaky Brain, Microbiome (gut bugs) and helps eliminate toxins from the body.

When consuming animal protein, ApoE4s are best served by omega-3 eggs, wild caught fish, wild caught shell fish and mullosks, not red meat (even grass fed), nor chicken (even pasture raised), and diary is also not recommended by Dr Bredesen for all.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4