Olive oil not crucial to diet?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Olive oil not crucial to diet?

Post by Jan18 »

Just read this: https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/28/health/f ... Rqpbx-zbro

Article discusses studies done on flavonols in food slowing cognitive decline, but says olive oil had no effect. (In simplest terms...)

What do you all think of this study?

And P.S. how do you deal with friends who insist (1) AD is hereditary or (2) there's this new study on mice that shows...(or whatever they are telling you to refute Bredesen's trial and protocol) or (3) refuse to even look up Bredesen for themselves to see what his protocol is all about? So frustrating!

Here is a critical article one friend is using to discredit Bredesen's protocol and trial. Can someone please provide me with a response? https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/05/41743 ... faKyj1-gus
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Olive oil not crucial to diet?

Post by JD2020 »

omg. The doc never once addresses the fact that people have gotten and are getting better.

I love this:

The study design of Bredesen’s papers is based on so-called case series. These are “inherently a descriptive type of research that offers limited evidence,” she said, unlike placebo-controlled clinical trials. Case series cannot accurately evaluate the effect of a new treatment because they are not designed to test hypotheses.

The placebo-controlled clinical trial is everyone who does nothing and declines. That's the placebo. Do nothing. Left to itself, the disease only moves in one direction.

I think the best response is the book, The First Survivor's....
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Maybe I skimmed too quickly, but this PR for a recent paper focused on specific flavonoids that protect against dementia. Isorhamnetin was one category that was recommended. Olive oil specifically falls into this category. Was there something else about olive oil that I missed? I think this is a great paper and all the more reason to increase intake of phytonutrients.
Here is a critical article one friend is using to discredit Bredesen's protocol and trial. Can someone please provide me with a response? https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/05/41743 ... faKyj1-gus
You can read a response from Dr. Bredesen here.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Julie G wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:41 am Maybe I skimmed too quickly, but this PR for a recent paper focused on specific flavonoids that protect against dementia. Isorhamnetin was one category that was recommended. Olive oil specifically falls into this category. Was there something else about olive oil that I missed? I think this is a great paper and all the more reason to increase intake of phytonutrients.
Thanks, Julie G! Yes, I noticed that. The article seems to contradict itself in that one respect. But I agree, it is more validation for the diet protocol we are implementing. :)

I found Dr. B's response to the criticism and it was very valuable. I also found your Open Letter to Dr. Hellmuth and found it articulately answered her points. Thank you!!!

The educator in me wants to spread the word -- and I try -- but it is more often than not met with disbelief or unfounded arguments (like "I just think AD is an inherited disease") by uninformed people (or people who don't want to talk about it because they don't want to change their lifestyle) or defenders of all things traditional who think functional medicine is "left-field". It is so hard to not talk about it when you sincerely wish to spread hope and good news.

But I usually just don't "go there" based on the typical response I get. :cry:
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Jan18 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:41 pm The educator in me wants to spread the word -- and I try -- but it is more often than not met with disbelief or unfounded arguments (like "I just think AD is an inherited disease") by uninformed people (or people who don't want to talk about it because they don't want to change their lifestyle) or defenders of all things traditional who think functional medicine is "left-field". It is so hard to not talk about it when you sincerely wish to spread hope and good news.
You are not alone, I've often had those same sentiments. But that's why we need to keep pounding the drum. My siblings didn't listen to me, to them I was one lone voice and their baby sister to boot. Maybe if they had heard similar messages from other sources, maybe they would have started to listen and wouldn't have dementia today.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jan18 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:45 am And P.S. how do you deal with friends who insist (1) AD is hereditary or (2) there's this new study on mice that shows...(or whatever they are telling you to refute Bredesen's trial and protocol) or (3) refuse to even look up Bredesen for themselves to see what his protocol is all about? So frustrating!
I spend a lot of time helping people with various issues. What I learned long ago was to only try to help people who are open to it. For example, I've had afib for 18 years, including a 2.5 month episode in the first 4 months. It is commonly thought of as a progressive illness. I created a program for myself where I've generally had 1-3 episodes/year lasting 1-3 hours. When a childhood friend was diagnosed with afib, I offered to coach him to see if we could limit his episodes. His declined saying I had a "6 sigma" lifestyle and he had no interest. So I then offered to point him to the best ablating electrophysiologist in the world, if he felt he needed an ablation.

My wife and I frequently have friends over for parties and meals. We feed them the cr@p they want and eat our food, which is completely different.
Tincup
E3,E4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Jan18 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:45 am And P.S. how do you deal with friends who insist (1) AD is hereditary or (2) there's this new study on mice that shows...(or whatever they are telling you to refute Bredesen's trial and protocol) or (3) refuse to even look up Bredesen for themselves to see what his protocol is all about? So frustrating!
Hi Jan18, I understand your frustration. I have had to accept that some people are simply not open to Dr Bredesen’s approach. They are not interested in hearing about it, reading about it, learning about it, even if they are beginning to show signs of decline. Maybe they are afraid to hope. Maybe they have tremendous respect for mainstream medicine. Or inherently suspicious. Maybe it just seems “too hard” to make the required lifestyle.
As Tincup says, you can only help people who are open to it.
I’ve experienced the heartbreak of watching one of my closest friends decline to the point where she is in an Alzheimer’s facility. When I visited her a few months ago, I couldn’t tell if she knew me or not.
Probably not. When she first started having cognitive issues, I had just done my first training with Dr. Bredesen and was so eager to share the good news and message of hope with her. She and her husband decided they were not interested in Dr Bredesen’s work, or in changing their lives, and would “let things take their course”.
Well, they have, predictably, taken the course they take without any intervention.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

floramaria wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:52 pm
I’ve experienced the heartbreak of watching one of my closest friends decline to the point where she is in an Alzheimer’s facility.
Hi Floramaria,
Me, too. My lifelong friend. Her daughter was given all of the info and hasn't used it. My friend bought Bredesen's first two books, after making herself notes and subsequently forgetting regularly for about three months. Then she "lost" them somewhere in her home.

Both she and her daughter just do what their neurologist tells them, which is basically to take one med after the other.

It's frustrating and so sad. Especially in light of the fact that this friend is wealthy and could easily hire someone to cook for her, motivate her to exercise, prompt her to do the brain games, whatever. Instead, she doesn't exercise, just watches TV and reads all day every day in her condo on the beach, buys prepared food and eats out or gets Whoppers, etc.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Tincup wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:34 am
My wife and I frequently have friends over for parties and meals. We feed them the cr@p they want and eat our food, which is completely different.
I hear you.

BTW, what's a "6 sigma" lifestyle?
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

TheresaB wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:35 am You are not alone, I've often had those same sentiments. But that's why we need to keep pounding the drum. My siblings didn't listen to me, to them I was one lone voice and their baby sister to boot. Maybe if they had heard similar messages from other sources, maybe they would have started to listen and wouldn't have dementia today.
Sorry, Theresa. It's sad.