What Causes Alzheimer's? (Quanta Magazine)

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

What Causes Alzheimer's? (Quanta Magazine)

Post by MarcR »

Much of this article details the checkered history of the amyloid hypothesis and is not news to many of us here. If you find yourself skimming, I recommend searching within the article for "lysosome". Overall, the article is typical of those found in Quanta - high-quality deep science content for well-educated general readers:

Scientists Are Rethinking the Answer
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: What Causes Alzheimer's? (Quanta Magazine)

Post by SusanJ »

MarcR wrote:If you find yourself skimming, I recommend searching within the article for "lysosome".
Great article and definitely a very understandable description of the endosome/lysosome work.

Good to see this comment, because it's so different than the prevailing research views in early days of this group.
Other researchers are also beginning to see Alzheimer’s disease less as a single discrete disorder than as an assortment of processes that go wrong together. If that’s true, treatments that target just one protein in this cascade, such as amyloid, might not have much of a therapeutic benefit.
Thanks for sharing.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: What Causes Alzheimer's? (Quanta Magazine)

Post by floramaria »

MarcR wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:58 am Much of this article details the checkered history of the amyloid hypothesis and is not news to many of us here. If you find yourself skimming, I recommend searching within the article for "lysosome". Overall, the article is typical of those found in Quanta - high-quality deep science content for well-educated general readers:

Scientists Are Rethinking the Answer
What an fabulous article! Amazing read. Thank you so much for sharing this, Marc.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health