Using Mirtazapine, Trazodone, or Gabapentin as sleep aids

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Seekingforanswers
Contributor
Contributor

Using Mirtazapine, Trazodone, or Gabapentin as sleep aids

Post by Seekingforanswers »

I am a 70 year old 3/4 woman. For the past two months I’ve been waking up after 1 1/2 to 2 hours of sleep. Sometimes I fall back to sleep quickly and other times I’m awake for hours. I sometimes resort to Ambien to fall back to sleep. On occasion I have difficulty falling asleep. My internist has recommended using Mirtazapine, Trazodone or Gabapentin as a sleep aid. Does anyone know what the current thought is about using these? Thank you.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Using Mirtazapine, Trazodone, or Gabapentin as sleep aids

Post by Tincup »

Seekingforanswers wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:16 pm My internist has recommended using Mirtazapine, Trazodone or Gabapentin as a sleep aid. Does anyone know what the current thought is about using these?
Peter Attia talked about Trazodone in a recent ask me anything podcast for subscribers, he takes it and talks about why.

If you PM me your email address, I can send you a link where you can listen.

In this post, I've linked a number of ideas for getting back to sleep. Listening to Yoga Nidra or self hypnosis scripts works well for me, but we are all different.
Tincup
E3,E4
8panda
New User
New User

Post by 8panda »

Seekingforanswers wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:16 pm My internist has recommended using Mirtazapine, Trazodone or Gabapentin as a sleep aid. Does anyone know what the current thought is about using these?
Tincup wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:43 pmPeter Attia talked about Trazodone in a recent ask me anything podcast for subscribers, he takes it and talks about why.

If you PM me your email address, I can send you a link where you can listen.

In this post, I've linked a number of ideas for getting back to sleep. Listening to Yoga Nidra or self hypnosis scripts works well for me, but we are all different.
@Tincup, I recently joined the forum and immediately was interested in looking into trazodone for sleep as it was also recommended to me by my physician. I do not have the ability to private message people (it says I am too new to the forum), but I would be interested in listening to the link that you offered regarding Peter Attia's views on trazodone. Thank you.
Jane S
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jane S »

8panda wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:54 pm [@Tincup, I recently joined the forum and immediately was interested in looking into trazodone for sleep as it was also recommended to me by my physician. I do not have the ability to private message people (it says I am too new to the forum), but I would be interested in listening to the link that you offered regarding Peter Attia's views on trazodone. Thank you.
Hello 8panda!

As a Support Team Intern, I'd like to welcome you to the forum. Thank you for joining our site and posting in the forum. I'm sure Tincup will connect with you. And I bet other members will chime in on this interesting topic.

I'll share some tools/resources you can use to continue to explore the site, helping you get the most out of your experience.

The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you're interested in learning more about other members, you can check out Our Stories.

I hope you'll share what got you interested in ApoE4 and engage in the discussions. So glad you joined.

Take care.

--- Jane ---
-- Jane --
(daughter, granddaughter, and niece of people who lived with Alzheimer's)
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach