From Alzheimer's diagnosis to recovery. My own journey

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

From Alzheimer's diagnosis to recovery. My own journey

Post by Maria4/4 »

Hi,

I finally had the courage to tell my story.

First of all, I want to thank everyone who contributes to this website. It's amazing! The quality of the content is huge. It already helped me a lot. I am so grateful.

Both my parents had dementia (different kinds), so I always felt the need to reduce my risk and have a healthy lifestyle. My brain is so important for my life. I really need it to work and to socialize with my family and friends. I need to be on the top of my capacities, and I was... until the beginning of this year.

I am 50 years old and suddenly, I began forgetting words. I had to change the sentences to use other words because I didn't remember simple words. I also mixed words when I was talking. For instanse, I wanted to say, "I am feeling well" and I could say "I am feelell". Of course, I was conscient of my mistakes and started to worry a lot, even though it happend only in some days.

I went to a neurologist, and he said it probably was Alzheimer's. He said I could do a pet scan to be sure, but he couldn't do anything for me. I just had to wait and watch my brain die every day. It was a huge shock! I didn't do the pet scan. For what? My brain couldn't be fixed anyway.

After crying and feeling sorry about myself, I started googling... hoping for a miracle... a clue on what I could do to -at least- slow this disease. I don't even believe in miracles, but I really needed one. And the miracle was there, waiting for me: I discovered Dale Bredessen. He gave me the best thing you could receive when you are desperate: hope. I started reading everything about him, trying to understand the biomarkers, the protocol and it all made sense to me. I love holistic approaches and it looked like something I could easily implement and follow for the rest of my life.

I discovered a nutritionist in my country that was trained to help in the protocol implementation, and I went to see him. He recommended I had my dna tested. I said I would only do it if the result was actionable. He said it was, so I did it.

And the result came: APOE4/4. I was devastated. For 2 weeks I wasn't even able to cry. I couldn’t sleep. I wished I had never done this test. I thought about the impact of my disease in my husband and children's life. How I suffered with my parents, seeing these two wonderful human beings getting worst every day. I thought I had to kill myself before my disease had a bad impact in my loved one's life.

Then I started to focus on the process of getting better. I couldn't do anything about my genes. What I could do is to take every single tiny step that could reduce my symptoms. By then, I already had read a lot (really a lot) about the theme (this website was a very good source a information), so I started to:
- take several supplements to improve my biomarkers (the nutritionist helped me on that)
- take HRT to improve my hormones levels and my sleep (although I had to see 5 doctors until I found one who accepted to give me the HRT… they all talk about the results of the WHI, ignoring the more recent research with much more positive results)
- exercise 4 times per week 45 minutes (a lot of aerobic exercise, but also some resistance training)
- sauna bathing 4 times per week 20 minutes + cold/heat therapy
- keto diet
- brain stimulation (peak app or elevate app)
- took care of my gut health and my teeth health.

And the symptoms stopped. Last month it only happened to me once when I was in a very stressful situation.

I think the hormonal support was important, as my oestrogen levels were so low. After all this I also learned how menopause affects the brain and read several testimonies of women with the same symptoms that I was having.

I also discovered that my Lp(a) is very very low, which indicates that my cardio-vascular risk is low. Nature helped me in this chapter. I don't have diabetes, I am not overweighted, all my biomarkers are fine, and my lifestyle is healthy, so I must remain positive and believe that the future will be bright.

I continue to focus on the process, and I continue to learn every day about the theme. As there are no doctors in my country who support the Bredessen protocol and the nutritionist lacks in knowledge, I took my health in my own hands and google is my best friend. There are so many reliable sources that provide useful information! It's amazing. Of course it's not the ideal situation, but as I can't move to the US (although I would love to :-) ) it's the only solution I have.

I also saw on the Apollo Health website https://www.apollohealthco.com/recode-2 ... ches-faqs/ that there is a RECODE course for health coaches that everyone can take. I am not a health coach, but I was thinking in taking the course to be able to take care of my health in a better way. Has anyone done this course? Do you recommend it?

Once again, thank you so much for your generosity in building content for this fabulous website.

Maria
4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: From Alzheimer's diagnosis to recovery. My own journey

Post by Tincup »

Maria4/4 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:49 am I also saw on the Apollo Health website https://www.apollohealthco.com/recode-2 ... ches-faqs/ that there is a RECODE course for health coaches that everyone can take. I am not a health coach, but I was thinking in taking the course to be able to take care of my health in a better way. Has anyone done this course? Do you recommend it?
4/4
Welcome, Maria!

Sounds like you've done a lot to help yourself! One thought is to look at the ApoE4 Aware Health Coaches list in our Wiki.

Some of these may be RECODE certified and do remote/virtual coaching.

Hopefully some of our RECODE certified coaches will see this and respond to your question.
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I also saw on the Apollo Health website https://www.apollohealthco.com/recode-2 ... ches-faqs/ that there is a RECODE course for health coaches that everyone can take. I am not a health coach, but I was thinking in taking the course to be able to take care of my health in a better way. Has anyone done this course? Do you recommend it?
Thank you for sharing your inspirational story, Maria. You are proof of what is possible! I absolutely think that you could personally benefit from the course. There will be a lot of health coaching info in addition to almost the same curriculum that practitioners take. You could always apply the health coaching techniques you learn to yourself. If you decide to move forward, please let us know what you think.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Maria4/4 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:49 am I continue to focus on the process, and I continue to learn every day about the theme.
Maria
4/4
Welcome to the ApoE4.Info Community , Maria! It is wonderful to read about all the steps you are taking, being proactive about improving your longterm health. Kudos to you! It is inspiring how quickly you overcame your despondency after learning your ApoE4/4 status and transformed it into positive energy towards helping yourself.

As a Health Coach who took the ReCODE 2.0 training, I believe it could be a great help to you because it provides a comprehensive understanding of all areas of the ReCODE Protocol. It is really an in depth training. Even though I had been a ReCODE-certified health coach for several years, I learned so much. For several of the modules, especially in the tremendously complex areas of detoxification, bHRT, and genetics, I downloaded and printed all of the slides and refer to them again and again.

Like you, my cognitive problems manifested primarily in word problems, which tend to be associated with toxicity, and as you observed in yourself, be exacerbated by stress. After doing heavy metal detoxification my ability to say the word I was thinking greatly improved!

If you have questions and would be interested in chatting about the ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach Training with someone who has been through it, send me a PM and I’ll be happy to set up a quick videoconference or phone call.

Best wishes to you on your health journey!
Floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Alexia C
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Alexia C »

Maria4/4 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:49 am

Once again, thank you so much for your generosity in building content for this fabulous website.

Maria
4/4
Hello Maria,

Welcome to our forum! I am so happy you have joined us. It is a very supportive community, sharing resources and experiences.

Your efforts, research and achievements are admirable and very inspirational. Don't stop taking the tiny steps you mention....every single one is to be celebrated. Taking your health in your own hands is a huge challenge but with your perseverance, I have no doubt you will succeed with your health goals. I am so glad you found Dr. Dale Bredesen and that he has given you the much needed hope you were looking for.

As other members of this forum have answered, the ReCODE 2.0 Training will give you a deeper understanding of the Bredesen Protocol. As stated in the Apollo Health website- ReCODE 2.0 Training for Coaches FAQ-anybody can participate in this training. I am a FMHC (53 yrs), also planning on taking the ReCODE Training. I also mix up words on occasion and menopause has caused havoc with my hormones which are also affecting my brain. I am a strong believer that the more you learn the more you can help yourself and others! Continue with your learnings as they can only benefit you and your loved ones.

Although you are already familiar with our forum, as a welcome intern I would also like to point out some links/resources that might be helpful as you explore the site further.

First, if you would like to learn more about ApoE4, the Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.
The
How-To Guide
shows how to quote members (use the " icon in the upper right of any post) so they get an email notification of your post. It also shows how to use the Search function for topics, and how to subscribe to topics of interest.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories. You might find members with experiences like yours that can help to steer you in the right direction.

I look forward to hearing from you in the future. Reach out anytime and continue to ask questions!

Warmly,

Alexia C
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

What a fabulous story, giving hope to so many others. Well done for getting over the initial shock, refusing to believe the outdated view that there's nothing to be done and really well done for achieving so much improvement!
I'm a Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach. The training could be really helpful for you to understand the protocol better. The medical stuff is interesting, but tough to take in and pass the quizzes on, but if you're only doing it to help yourself, you needn't do those if they're too much.
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach