Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Irene S
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Irene S »

Hi

I’m new here and carry the 3/4 combination of the ApoE allele. I live in Scotland UK and have a family history of Alzheimers. It was my relatives symptoms that alerted me that I may be going the same way. I first experienced symptoms from early 2013, then aged 54, that weren’t recognised by my doctor. My own efforts led to amalgam removal and detoxes which thankfully bought me time.

Symptoms worsened and peaked in 2019 with cognitive issues and neurological symptoms of falling over. Yet again blood tests with my doctor weren’t helpful and, having worked as nurse for some years, I was concerned that symptoms of falling over weren’t taken seriously. No further referral was suggested and thankfully I found Dr Bredesen’s book and practitioners he trained.

The root cause was mould exposure over nine years in premises I leased to work from. The screening showed inflammation on the brain and some cognitive deficits and I discovered other factors that needed attention. From these findings, I asked my doctor to send me privately for a brain scan, as I didn’t seem to meet criteria for referral on the NHS. The scan showed white matter low attenuation lesions. By this time I’d been staving off symptoms for seven years, thankfully the functional practitioners reassured I’d caught things in time and they could help me.

As I want to be in charge of my care, I later went to discuss the brain scan results with my doctor and basically got nowhere. I was by then awaiting confirmation that mould was the issue and symptoms had lessened having moved out of the premises. No further investigations were suggested and they have since filed the brain scan as normal despite the cognitive and balance issues.

I am truly grateful I found Dr Bredesen’s book when I did, without it I would have continued to deteriorate. Thank you for this website. I look forward to learning more from its contents and its good to have others who understand the experience.
SandyZ
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Member

Post by SandyZ »

Irene S wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:17 am Hi

I’m new here and carry the 3/4 combination of the ApoE allele. I live in Scotland UK and have a family history of Alzheimers. It was my relatives symptoms that alerted me that I may be going the same way. I first experienced symptoms from early 2013, then aged 54, that weren’t recognised by my doctor. My own efforts led to amalgam removal and detoxes which thankfully bought me time.

As I want to be in charge of my care, I later went to discuss the brain scan results with my doctor and basically got nowhere. I was by then awaiting confirmation that mould was the issue and symptoms had lessened having moved out of the premises. No further investigations were suggested and they have since filed the brain scan as normal despite the cognitive and balance issues.

I am truly grateful I found Dr Bredesen’s book when I did, without it I would have continued to deteriorate. Thank you for this website. I look forward to learning more from its contents and its good to have others who understand the experience.
Hi Irene,

Thank you for sharing your story here. I'm so glad that you found this group. It can be a great comfort to find a group with whom to share like experiences.

As a Support Team Intern, I would like to formally welcome you to the ApoE4.info website. Your strengths of love of learning and perseverance have brought you far on your quest to turn this around.

If you would like to deepen your understanding regarding ApoE4, beyond what you have already learned, the Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing Medical Doctor with ApoE4/4.

In addition, the How to Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums, including how to quote members when you respond to posts so they get an email notification of your post (tip: use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post). The How to Guide also demonstrates how to use the Search function for topics and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

The Wiki is another resource full of information that you might helpful.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories. You might find other members with similar experiences that you find useful.

Like you, I too have family members who have experienced cognitive decline which led me to find Dr. Bredesen and his books. I will be forever grateful to Dr. Bredesen and this wonderful group.

Please reach out if you have questions or need help navigating this site.

In gratitude,

SandyZ
SandyZ
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Trained Health Coach
TLS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TLS »

Thank you for sharing your story! And kudos for being proactive for your health concerns. Hopefully remediating the mold situation will help you out a lot!
apoe 3/4
Irene S
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Irene S »

Thank you 😋
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

Well done for persisting in the face of "normal" results and inaction from NHS. I'm 54 now. My Mum is ApoE3/4 and sort of on a minimal version of the protocol (as that's all I can get her to do) but she's doing much better, and whilst I'm ApoE3/3, she does have a number of other SNPs that she's passed onto me, so I'm on a prevention strategy myself (with an FM practitioner, not Apollo, simply because I couldn't find an Apollo practitioner in the UK at the time - I've found some since).
Mum's MoCA tests with the GP have improved, but the GP is not interested in talking to me about how we've done it!
I notice some glitches now and again, but my Cq tests (from the Apollo site) are good and much improved from the first attempt
I'm in Coventry, by the way, so hi from a fellow Brit!
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach
Irene S
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Irene S »

Hi TCHC, thanks for reaching out. Its a difficult situation with the GPs. A family member who already had a heart bypass was having symptoms alongside me. They are now being fobed off by their doctor with worsening symptoms and have reached out to Glasgow Memory Clinic who are currently looking for volunteers for research. I understand they are scared to go outwith the clinical model. I have a few SNPs too that dietary changes were needed for. Glad you are getting help with prevention. Hopefully in time medicine will realise change is needed.
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

We need to get the message out there, so that change is forced sooner!
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach