How to test and solve oral bacteria issues

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How to test and solve oral bacteria issues

Post by Maria4/4 »

Hi,

This week I found a post about this issue on Dr. Bredesen's Instagram.

Maria 4/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Erythritol Functional Roles in Oral-Systemic Health
Oral health studies revealed that erythritol can reduce dental plaque weight, reduce dental plaque acids, reduce counts of mutans streptococci in saliva and dental plaque, and reduce the risk for dental caries better than sorbitol and xylitol, resulting in fewer tooth restorations by dentist intervention.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29355425/
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

SusanJ wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:30 am Erythritol Functional Roles in Oral-Systemic Health
Thanks for posting the link to the study, Susan.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maria4/4 »

SusanJ wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:30 am Erythritol Functional Roles in Oral-Systemic Health
Oral health studies revealed that erythritol can reduce dental plaque weight, reduce dental plaque acids, reduce counts of mutans streptococci in saliva and dental plaque, and reduce the risk for dental caries better than sorbitol and xylitol, resulting in fewer tooth restorations by dentist intervention.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29355425/
Thanks a lot Susan for this information. I love Erythritol, so it's very good news. In the last months, I am only eliminating things from my diet, because of my APOE status, so it's so good when I see that I can keep something in my diet. I am really happy with your post.

Thanks a lot,
Maria 4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Maria4/4 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:42 am I would like to test my oral bacteria to see if I have "bad" bacteria that could cause brain problems. I also would like to know what can be done to change the mouth flora and improve it. I have read a lot of information about gut health, but don't find useful information about oral health.
Hi Maria,

I'll add my two cents worth. I have a functional dentist that suggested my testing for nasty bacteria. I had been having problems with deep pockets and weak enamel. Her husband also recently died from a form of dementia. I don't remember which one I had, but it was the one they were testing for. They put me on a long course of antibiotics. I also get cleanings every 4 months, and now also get a laser treatment into the boundary between gum and teeth specific for the bad bacteria. My pockets pretty much went away and I could feel with my tongue that the gums were now tight. My weak enamel spots also re-hardened. Now, one conflicting factor - I also did a multi-week water fast during which my gums showed the most improvement... How much the lack of carbs helped, I can't say.

I'm all about trying to prevent the brain from having to respond to invading nasties...this process seems to be broken in 4/4s. So in addition to going after the bad bacteria, I had all of my fillings replaced a bit at a time, choosing the ones that were leaking to do first. Mercury in the mouth, that close to the brain can't be good...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maria4/4 »

mike wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:55 am
Maria4/4 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:42 am I would like to test my oral bacteria to see if I have "bad" bacteria that could cause brain problems. I also would like to know what can be done to change the mouth flora and improve it. I have read a lot of information about gut health, but don't find useful information about oral health.
Hi Maria,

I'll add my two cents worth. I have a functional dentist that suggested my testing for nasty bacteria. I had been having problems with deep pockets and weak enamel. Her husband also recently died from a form of dementia. I don't remember which one I had, but it was the one they were testing for. They put me on a long course of antibiotics. I also get cleanings every 4 months, and now also get a laser treatment into the boundary between gum and teeth specific for the bad bacteria. My pockets pretty much went away and I could feel with my tongue that the gums were now tight. My weak enamel spots also re-hardened. Now, one conflicting factor - I also did a multi-week water fast during which my gums showed the most improvement... How much the lack of carbs helped, I can't say.

I'm all about trying to prevent the brain from having to respond to invading nasties...this process seems to be broken in 4/4s. So in addition to going after the bad bacteria, I had all of my fillings replaced a bit at a time, choosing the ones that were leaking to do first. Mercury in the mouth, that close to the brain can't be good...
Thank you so much Mike for your useful inputs. Do you know which nasty bacteria you tested for?
Grateful,
Maria 4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Maria4/4 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:32 pm Do you know which nasty bacteria you tested for?
Maria,

Sorry it took so long. I just went to get a cleaning. The two that they tested for were Porphyromonas Gingivalis and Treponema Denticola.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maria4/4 »

mike wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:38 pm
Maria4/4 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:32 pm Do you know which nasty bacteria you tested for?
Maria,

Sorry it took so long. I just went to get a cleaning. The two that they tested for were Porphyromonas Gingivalis and Treponema Denticola.
Thank you so much, Mike, for your precious help!

I finally found a functional dentist and I have a lot of work to do in my mouth. I have mercury, so I will remove it at the end of the month. I also have NICOs, that have to be treated. My pockets are going away too 😥.

I changed my hygiene routine and I feel it improved a lot my oral health: I use a toothpaste with ozone, I do oil pulling several times per week (with sesame seeds because I don't like the taste of coconut oil) and I take oral probiotics.

One thing that my functional medicine doctor told me is that my gums were always bleeding because of my vitamin C deficiency. I can't believe that I have lost so much bone in my mouth because of a vitamin deficiency and nobody was able to detect it before (I have this problem for decades). I tried to solve this deficiency with food, but even eating twice the recommended dose I wasn't able to increase my vitamin C level, so I am now taking a supplement.

I hope you are fine and your mouth is now 100% healthy 😁
Maria 4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Maria4/4 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:23 am I finally found a functional dentist and I have a lot of work to do in my mouth. I have mercury, so I will remove it at the end of the month. I also have NICOs, that have to be treated. My pockets are going away too 😥.
Maria, my dentist was able to measure the leakage from my old fillings, and I had them out over a few years to maximize insurance coverage. My teeth are good, but not I'm having heart issues - just had a stent put in... If it is not one thing, it is another... :roll:
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maria4/4 »

mike wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:03 am
Maria4/4 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:23 am I finally found a functional dentist and I have a lot of work to do in my mouth. I have mercury, so I will remove it at the end of the month. I also have NICOs, that have to be treated. My pockets are going away too 😥.
Maria, my dentist was able to measure the leakage from my old fillings, and I had them out over a few years to maximize insurance coverage. My teeth are good, but not I'm having heart issues - just had a stent put in... If it is not one thing, it is another... :roll:
Hi Mike. I am sorry to read that you have now heart issues. I hope that everything will be solved quickly.
Maria 4/4