How to test and solve oral bacteria issues

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

How to test and solve oral bacteria issues

Post by Maria4/4 »

Hi everyone,

Happy & healthy new year to everyone :P

I have gingivitis since ever, although I am very careful with my oral higene. I know now that this is a risk for AD, so I would like to do something about it.

I would like to test my oral bacteria to see if I have "bad" bacteria that could cause brain problems. I also would like to know what can be done to change the mouth flora and improve it. I have read a lot of information about gut health, but don't find useful information about oral health.

Can you please share some useful information with me? Thanks in advance

Maria 4/4
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How to test and solve oral bacteria issues

Post by Lulu »

Maria4/4 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:42 am Hi everyone,

I have gingivitis since ever, although I am very careful with my oral higene. I know now that this is a risk for AD, so I would like to do something about it.

I would like to test my oral bacteria to see if I have "bad" bacteria that could cause brain problems. I also would like to know what can be done to change the mouth flora and improve it. I have read a lot of information about gut health, but don't find useful information about oral health.

Maria 4/4
Hi Maria,

I have a dental regimen that has helped me tremendously with oral hygiene and gingivitis. Twice per day, after breakfast and before bed: floss with dental floss picks ( I use picks from The Humble Co, which are free from pfas and bpa), then brush with toothpaste that has hydrogen peroxide, rinse and then sprinkle a bit of baking soda on my toothbrush, and ever so lightly go over my teeth one more time. The peroxide and the baking soda combined can help to kill the bugs that cause gum disease, increase mineralization of the teeth, and make the oral cavity a bit more alkaline. It is harder for the bad bacteria to grow in a mouth that leans more alkaline than acidic. After this, I rinse my toothbrush with listerine to kill any bacteria, then rinse with water and allow to air dry. Maybe once or twice a week, I use the water pic on my teeth.

There are plenty of great regimens out there, but this is the one that has truly helped me. Good Luck!!
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maria4/4 »

Lulu wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:09 am

Maria 4/4
Hi Maria,

I have a dental regimen that has helped me tremendously with oral hygiene and gingivitis. Twice per day, after breakfast and before bed: floss with dental floss picks ( I use picks from The Humble Co, which are free from pfas and bpa), then brush with toothpaste that has hydrogen peroxide, rinse and then sprinkle a bit of baking soda on my toothbrush, and ever so lightly go over my teeth one more time. The peroxide and the baking soda combined can help to kill the bugs that cause gum disease, increase mineralization of the teeth, and make the oral cavity a bit more alkaline. It is harder for the bad bacteria to grow in a mouth that leans more alkaline than acidic. After this, I rinse my toothbrush with listerine to kill any bacteria, then rinse with water and allow to air dry. Maybe once or twice a week, I use the water pic on my teeth.

There are plenty of great regimens out there, but this is the one that has truly helped me. Good Luck!!
Thank you so much Lulu for the detailed description. So useful! I will do exactly how you described it.
Grateful,
Maria 4/4
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

I hope it helps, Maria! I can't say for certain whether or not this will work for you, but it did work for me. I think the baking soda is especially helpful. I used to have plaque build up on my teeth within a week of a cleaning ( no kidding ), but now it takes 2-3 months after a cleaning before I see any plaque. I get my teeth cleaned every 3-4 months and this is helpful as well.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Maria4/4 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:42 am I have gingivitis since ever, although I am very careful with my oral higene. I know now that this is a risk for AD, so I would like to do something about it.

I would like to test my oral bacteria to see if I have "bad" bacteria that could cause brain problems.

Maria 4/4
Hi Maria, The website myperiopath has info on testing oral bacteria. But it doesn't look like you can order the tests yourself; tests have to be ordered through a healthcare provider/dentist.
The website provides links to providers if you decide you want to get the testing done.
https://www.oraldna.com/test/myperiopath/

There are probably other companies as well, but this is one I have heard of.
My own oral health improved by using a water pick and also oral probiotics at night before bed.
I use Hyperbiotics Pro-Dental which I learned about on another thread on these wonderful Forums. My pockets have decreased in depth.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maria4/4 »

floramaria wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:42 pm
Hi Maria, The website myperiopath has info on testing oral bacteria. But it doesn't look like you can order the tests yourself; tests have to be ordered through a healthcare provider/dentist.
The website provides links to providers if you decide you want to get the testing done.
https://www.oraldna.com/test/myperiopath/

There are probably other companies as well, but this is one I have heard of.
My own oral health improved by using a water pick and also oral probiotics at night before bed.
I use Hyperbiotics Pro-Dental which I learned about on another thread on these wonderful Forums. My pockets have decreased in depth.
[/quote]

So interesting! Thank you so much Floramaria
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Maria4/4 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:29 pm
You’re welcome. Please let us know what you find works for you, since oral health is important to us all. Good luck!
anotherdreamer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by anotherdreamer »

Maria 4/4

I had gingivitis for years and always would get cavities. I'd brush, floss, and do all the recommended cleanings. It didn't matter how dedicated I was. After I found out I had an E4 gene, I cut out all the added sugars from my diet and replaced all sweeteners with monk fruit/erythritol. There is no way to express here the extreme change happened to my oral health. I'm still doing the exact same regime cleaning wise but my gums no longer bleed and I haven't had a cavity in years. Even my dentist is shocked at the difference. I don't know if it's because of how much monk fruit/erythritol I use. (I like it in tea and coffee throughout the day.) All I know is it has been a miracle for me.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

anotherdreamer wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:13 pm I had gingivitis for years and always would get cavities. I'd brush, floss, and do all the recommended cleanings. It didn't matter how dedicated I was. After I found out I had an E4 gene, I cut out all the added sugars from my diet and replaced all sweeteners with monk fruit/erythritol. There is no way to express here the extreme change happened to my oral health. I'm still doing the exact same regime cleaning wise but my gums no longer bleed and I haven't had a cavity in years. Even my dentist is shocked at the difference. I don't know if it's because of how much monk fruit/erythritol I use. (I like it in tea and coffee throughout the day.) All I know is it has been a miracle for me.
That's interesting, another dreamer. Thanks for sharing this. I had not heard of any protective value for either monk fruit or erythritol but will definitely do some research based on your post. And regardless of what research has or has not been done, it is great that this has worked so well for you! congratulations!
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maria4/4 »

anotherdreamer wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:13 pm

Maria 4/4
I had gingivitis for years and always would get cavities. I'd brush, floss, and do all the recommended cleanings. It didn't matter how dedicated I was. After I found out I had an E4 gene, I cut out all the added sugars from my diet and replaced all sweeteners with monk fruit/erythritol. There is no way to express here the extreme change happened to my oral health. I'm still doing the exact same regime cleaning wise but my gums no longer bleed and I haven't had a cavity in years. Even my dentist is shocked at the difference. I don't know if it's because of how much monk fruit/erythritol I use. (I like it in tea and coffee throughout the day.) All I know is it has been a miracle for me.
Great information, Dreamer. Thank you so much!

I am on keto for 2 monthes but I have to confess that during the Christmass week I ate some carbs :( I am back on 100% keto so I hope to see some improvements like you saw.

I am a big fan of erythritol. I eat a delicious keto granola at breakfast (I have better results fasting at dinner, although it's so painful). It is sweetened with erythritol, and in fact the studies show that it doesn't damage the teeth like sugar. I hope this will help me too :)

Maria 4/4