Klotho - rs9536314

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
kcomplex
Contributor
Contributor

Klotho - rs9536314

Post by kcomplex »

Hello and pleased to meet you.

I'm APOE 4/4 and I'm interested to know if anyone in this group managed to find a genetic testing service that definitely covers rs9536314's genotype because 23andme used has stopped for some stupid reason and I can't gain access to the information needed in my raw data.

20% of apoe4 carriers are protected by some versions of this gene so I think it's pretty important to know whether one is one of them and how to find out. Hope someone can help or has advice. Thanks.

Sean
SandyZ
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Klotho - rs9536314

Post by SandyZ »

kcomplex wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:45 pm Hello and pleased to meet you.

I'm APOE 4/4 and I'm interested to know if anyone in this group managed to find a genetic testing service that definitely covers rs9536314's genotype because 23andme used has stopped for some stupid reason and I can't gain access to the information needed in my raw data.

20% of apoe4 carriers are protected by some versions of this gene so I think it's pretty important to know whether one is one of them and how to find out. Hope someone can help or has advice. Thanks.

Sean
Hi Sean,

Welcome and thank you for posting your question. There have been discussions posted about the rs9536314. You can utilize the Search function to find references to this. Perhaps others in those discussions can share where they have received the testing that includes the rs9536314's genotype.

As a welcome intern, I would like to formally welcome you to the ApoE4.info website. I'm glad you found this knowledgeable and supportive community!

If you would like to deepen your understanding regarding ApoE4, the Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing Medical Doctor with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

In addition, the How to Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums, including how to quote members when you respond to posts so they get an email notification of your post (tip: use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post). The How to Guide also demonstrates how to use the Search function for topics and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

The Wiki is another resource full of information that you might helpful.

Finally, if you would like to learn more about other community members' experiences or even continue to share more about your own, feel free to link to Our Stories.

I hope you find the answers that you are looking for. I encourage you to post any questions you may have and please feel free to reply to this message, as well.

In gratitude,

SandyZ
SandyZ
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Trained Health Coach
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Sean
Hi Sean,

I'm guessing you've read or heard about this 2020 article: Association of Klotho-VS Heterozygosity With Risk of Alzheimer Disease in Individuals Who Carry APOE4 or this great explanation from Genetic Life Hacks: https://www.geneticlifehacks.com/klotho-apoe-e4/.

Have to admit, when I saw it this in 2020, I immediately checked my 23&me report (from an early 2014 test) and discovered that I have the common T/T variant. My ApoE 3/3 husband has the G/T variant, which probably explains why his dad lived to 90 (with some help from cardiologists and oncologists, but no AD).

You may want to contact 23&me about this to see if they can suggest a workaround, or have an explanation of why this isn't showing. https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en- ... 0050651194

I hope you get the data and find that you, like my husband, carry the lucky G/T variant. FWIW, even without that, I'm 70, with ApoE 4/4 like you, and still doing just fine, including on measures of cognitive health and functional skills. Other factors, like the education beyond high school, engaging in problem-solving, social connections, healthy foods, and exercise are collectively seen as extending "health-spans" by decades. We can out-maneuver our pesky genes!

Nancy
4/4 and still an optimist!
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

You can also go to the promethease website, for a small fee, they will analyze your genetic data from 23andme, and give you a much more comprehensive report. I'm pretty sure you can get information on the klotho variant you carry from the promethease report.

Lulu Apoe 3/4
Hugoworth
New User
New User

Post by Hugoworth »

Can’t find the promethease website. Does it go by another name?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Hugoworth wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:38 pm Can’t find the promethease website. Does it go by another name?
Here's the link; you have to click on the terms of use on the first page to access the site. https://promethease.com
kcomplex
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kcomplex »

NF52 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:49 am

Sean
Hi Sean,

I'm guessing you've read or heard about this 2020 article: Association of Klotho-VS Heterozygosity With Risk of Alzheimer Disease in Individuals Who Carry APOE4 or this great explanation from Genetic Life Hacks: https://www.geneticlifehacks.com/klotho-apoe-e4/.

Have to admit, when I saw it this in 2020, I immediately checked my 23&me report (from an early 2014 test) and discovered that I have the common T/T variant. My ApoE 3/3 husband has the G/T variant, which probably explains why his dad lived to 90 (with some help from cardiologists and oncologists, but no AD).

You may want to contact 23&me about this to see if they can suggest a workaround, or have an explanation of why this isn't showing. https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en- ... 0050651194

I hope you get the data and find that you, like my husband, carry the lucky G/T variant. FWIW, even without that, I'm 70, with ApoE 4/4 like you, and still doing just fine, including on measures of cognitive health and functional skills. Other factors, like the education beyond high school, engaging in problem-solving, social connections, healthy foods, and exercise are collectively seen as extending "health-spans" by decades. We can out-maneuver our pesky genes!

Nancy
Thanks. I did contact them but no reply as yet. It looks very unlikely they will be able to help tbh and looking as though I will have to pay more to get the right analysis but it's proving tricky to know with 100% those genes will be checked. Glad you are doing good, that's great to hear. You can rest assured that'll be doing all I can to keep things that way for myself as well.
kcomplex
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kcomplex »

Lulu wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:32 pm You can also go to the promethease website, for a small fee, they will analyze your genetic data from 23andme, and give you a much more comprehensive report. I'm pretty sure you can get information on the klotho variant you carry from the promethease report.

Lulu Apoe 3/4
Thanks but unfortunately that won't help as the problem is with 23andme's raw data. The details of Klotho rs9536314 are missing for all new customer data and only older customers have access to the relevant info. 23andme essentially made their service much worse for all 4/4 carriers.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Lulu post[/u wrote:_id=87625 time=1673213520 user_id=1757]
kcomplex wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:01 pmThanks but unfortunately that won't help as the problem is with 23andme's raw data. The details of Klotho rs9536314 are missing for all new customer data and only older customers have access to the relevant info. 23andme essentially made their service much worse for all 4/4 carriers.
Sorry to hear that!
75percent
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 75percent »

Sean
Hello Sean,

You can try whole genome sequencing, and then running your BAM file through a program called WGSExtract to obtain a combined all SNPs microarray RAW file, which you can then search for rs9536314. (I think Dante Labs is having a sale now for $199.) There is a Facebook group called Dante Labs and Nebula Genomics Customers, that has links to guides and useful information. I would add that you need to make sure you have enough space on your computer if you go this route; the files provided with whole genome sequencing are very large. If you do testing with Dante you need to make sure to download your files within 90 days of receiving your results. I'd also only recommend this if you are tech savvy and willing to read through the manuals to set up the WGSExtract tools on your computer.