Introducing myself

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Introducing myself

Post by TheresaB »

toxentine wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:54 am I have 2 of the apoe 4 genes. I’ve been researching every extra minute I have. I read that coconut oil was associated with helping reverse memory loss.
Coconut oil, as a medium chain triglyceride, goes directly to the liver where it is converted to ketones. The brain needs lots of energy to work properly. Since you’ve been doing lots of research, you probably know that ketones can provide fuel to the brain when glucose uptake is impaired, a common issue with APOE4s.

The issue with coconut oil and APOE4 is it is also high in saturated fat, which isn’t our friend, it worsens our lipid profiles, particularly LDL-P and ApoB.

The other issue with coconut oil, for all genotypes is it provides help with cognition, but it doesn’t do anything regarding the root cause of what’s causing the impairment.

You can read more in our wiki. If you are on a computer, look at the top of the page, you’ll see various links including one that says “Wiki”. If on a phone, at the upper right hand corner are 4 bars, if you touch that, a drop down menu will appear that includes a link to our wiki. Specifically with regard to your curiosity on coconut oil, you should read the wiki article, “Coconut Oil, MCT oil, and other Ketone/Cognition Boosters (salts, esters)” which can be found through this link: https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Coconut_Oi ... s,_esters)
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
toxentine
Contributor
Contributor

Post by toxentine »

Thank you so much, that made perfect sense and I feel exactly the same as you, high saturated fats seem to make me feel sluggish and just an overall feeling of BAD. Do you have any insight on how “not having” a gallbladder could affect me with this diet? Since not having a gallbladder means that my body doesn’t process fat correctly. Thank you in advance again for any advice!
toxentine
Contributor
Contributor

Post by toxentine »

Thank you TheresaB I’ll check those out!
Sunshine
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sunshine »

From Sunshine to Toxentine. In regards to no gallbladder, I have read oxbile with meals help and I don't know how it is dosed...but I have my gallbladder. Do suggest you find a functional medicine doctor in your area to get yourself squared away on your lab baselines and the most optimal eating strategy for you. From your initial post and the one revealing no gallbladder, sounds like you have many health issues to sift through. Dale Bredesen's website, Dr. Terry Wahls website, and the Institute for Functional Medicine are websites to peruse to find a practictioner in your area, or at least that is where I would start.
Kmlseattle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kmlseattle »

toxentine wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:54 am Hi sunshine,
May I ask why you limit your coconut oil? I’m new to all of this dieting for AD. I haven’t been diagnosed, however I took a 23 and me test and my results were that I have 2 of the apoe 4 genes. I’ve been researching every extra minute I have. I read that coconut oil was associated with helping reverse memory loss. I’ve been watching Dr. Berg and also read the first survivors of Alzheimer’s. I do have some of the key pathogens associated with Alzheimer’s. I have severe HSV-1 or cold sores, going to the dentist next week but I think I might be getting some gum disease even tho I brush regularly (I have inflamed gums often), I also have high cholesterol and am not overweight. My 23 and me test showed I’m prone to being insulin resistant but I don’t have diabetes. My brother has had it since he was in his 20’s. My mom is a diabetic and dad was as well. My grandma died of a heart attack and was diabetic, dad had open heart surgery for triple bypass in his early 50’s, my grandma died at 59. My dads sister, is 76 and is now in the mid stages if AD.
I have had 2 pretty bad head injuries in the past 15 years. Oh and one last thing on my mind is, I had my appendix and gallbladder removed 3 years ago and after surgery part of my memory was gone! My son and husband would bring up things we had done together or watched a movie together from earlier that year and I couldn’t remember at all! Still can’t remember it! Anyone have any comments on gallbladder removal and doing keto for health and slowing AD?
The good news (finally) I decided to start learning a new language which I’ve now been on a streak for 600 days and I’m also learning to play the Banjo for almost a year now. I need to incorporate some exercise into my life soon. My biggest task in life right now is caring for my elderly mother who has many health issues. She moved in with me over a year ago and we just came out of a terrible bout with not being able to walk. Anytime she gets sick with any virus or illness she can’t walk for an extended period of time. Thank you all for the comments, it feels nice to have found this site!
I’d love to hear from you guys:
Dear toxentine,
Welcome and thank you for your post. You raise some very interesting questions. I, too, was using MCT oil for health benefits, but didn't find it to make much difference and when I heard about the contraindications for those carrying the ApoE4 allele, I stopped it. I tend to stick with olive and avocado oils as a rule. As a carrier of one copy of ApoE4 and the fact my mom recently passed away after suffering with dementia for 10+ years (probably AD) has made me more aware of what I'm doing to keep my brain healthy. I have been able to figure out the exercise plan that seems to work for me. I'm trying to add playing an instrument to my repertoire, debating whether to return to the piano after an almost 30 year hiatus or picking up the guitar my son abandoned!

I am sure you will see more responses to your queries, as evidenced by the quick replies from Sunshine and TheresaB. As an intern on this forum, I'd like to make sure you are aware of the many resources on this site. You can find additional information about MCT/coconut oil as well as lots of other information on our WIKI. Use the search box to find specific information such as MCT, gall bladder or keto, or peruse the table of contents to see what's there. Additionally, the Primer will give you a good idea of how to use the site. It is authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele that offers accessible science background and prioritized sensible preventative measures. Other good resources include the search engine on our site, PubMed, and the internet at large in your quest for information.

One useful tip is to use the Quote button (in the top right corner) when replying to other members' posts. This will allow you to include the previous post and will go directly to the author as well as to the general membership.

I wish you the best in adding an exercise program to your regimen and to your continued success with the banjo and the language. Please do feel free to post any additional questions.

Be well,
Kathleen
toxentine
Contributor
Contributor

Post by toxentine »

kmlseattle wrote:Dear toxentine,
Welcome and thank you for your post. You raise some very interesting questions. I, too, was using MCT oil for health benefits, but didn't find it to make much difference and when I heard about the contraindications for those carrying the ApoE4 allele, I stopped it. I tend to stick with olive and avocado oils as a rule. As a carrier of one copy of ApoE4 and the fact my mom recently passed away after suffering with dementia for 10+ years (probably AD) has made me more aware of what I'm doing to keep my brain healthy. I have been able to figure out the exercise plan that seems to work for me. I'm trying to add playing an instrument to my repertoire, debating whether to return to the piano after an almost 30 year hiatus or picking up the guitar my son abandoned!

I am sure you will see more responses to your queries, as evidenced by the quick replies from Sunshine and TheresaB. As an intern on this forum, I'd like to make sure you are aware of the many resources on this site. You can find additional information about MCT/coconut oil as well as lots of other information on our WIKI. Use the search box to find specific information such as MCT, gall bladder or keto, or peruse the table of contents to see what's there. Additionally, the Primer will give you a good idea of how to use the site. It is authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele that offers accessible science background and prioritized sensible preventative measures. Other good resources include the search engine on our site, PubMed, and the internet at large in your quest for information.

One useful tip is to use the Quote button (in the top right corner) when replying to other members' posts. This will allow you to include the previous post and will go directly to the author as well as to the general membership.

I wish you the best in adding an exercise program to your regimen and to your continued success with the banjo and the language. Please do feel free to post any additional questions.

Be well,
Kathleen
toxetine wrote:Thank you Kathleen! I’m trying the quote button, not sure if I did it right or not.
Moderator Note:
Hi toxentine! You were 99% of the way perfect on quoting Kathleen. The trick is to go to Kathleen's post, (or Sunshine's or TheresaB's, etc) and click on THEIR quotation mark in the upper right corner. That brings their post over to an editing/posting draft page in their own text box. You can then reply, check out it looks by clicking on Preview before your post, and hit Submit when you're ready. I took the liberty of "editing" your post as a Moderator to do what you wanted. '

As a side note on strategies to think about: I heard a GREAT presentation in November about the benefits of ANY kind of exercise--aerobic, stretching--just getting your heart rate up to a level you can sustain for about 45 minutes at least 3 times a week. People with mild cognitive impairment or mild dementia who had been sedentary did this at a "Y" or gym for 12 months. Before and after they had tests of their memory and their "executive skills" (planning, problem-solving etc". Overall, they had mild decreases in memory, but did BETTER in "executive" skills that can be more important in staying independent. The woman researcher running this has a large grant from the National Institute on Aging for expansion of this in a study called POINTER now running across the US. She said "Exercise may be the single BEST thing you can do for your brain" It doesn't have to be high intensity or running 5ks. Doing it with a class or a personal trainer seems to help people able to really commit--but you've done that with the banjo and a language already!
Warn wishes for some easier days with your mom. Maybe ask relatives or friends to give you some respite-or even hire someone to be with her so you can get your own time in fresh air. The old adage "Caretakers need to start by taking care of themselves."
Nancy
toxentine
Contributor
Contributor

Post by toxentine »

I supposed I didn’t do it right! Sorry :)
Kmlseattle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kmlseattle »

toxentine wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:46 pm I supposed I didn’t do it right! Sorry :)
Almost! Make sure you start typing your own message after you see the "[/quote]" in the message. If you click the Preview button you can see what your post will look like; the original message in a gray box surrounded by a green line, then the message you entered.

Kathleen
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

Hi Gena

Well done for taking positive action and finding out your apoe status and taking the "crash course" to find out more. Do keep posting and let us know how you're getting on. This forum is so supportive and helpful if you have questions as you go.

Just from your intro, you can see that the apoe status does not lead to a foregone conclusion, your family have proven that. You can prevent!

Good luck!

Lindsey
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

Sunshine wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:44 am I am 73. About 10 years ago I learned I was APOE3/4. I thought it was a death sentence, and was depressed for days. Since around 2009, I began further developing an interest in nutrition, believing food eaten affects health. Internets allowed exploring, Around that time, my teenage child, because of digestive issues was recommended to discontinue eating gluten, and grains. I did so in support of her. Prior to then, with a spouse (APOE3/3) who is die hard vegetarian and still is (from a belief not nutrition perspective and is now diabetic}, we had many grains and legumes in our diet. I tried vegetarian for about 6 months in the mid 1990's, gained 60 pounds in that time, went back to eating animal protein and many veggies. I removed the legumes and grains, I lost all arthritic pain which I no longer have any, and was able to drop the very excess weight. My mother's family tended toward being "portly" ( my brother died of stroke or heart attack at age 63 insulin dependent uncontrolled diabetes and over 400 pounds at height 5'9"). I also carry a "fatso gene", which I have come to understand can set up for insulin resistance early and later diabetes (I was a 100 pound first grader). In 1956, my father had cerebral aneurysm which left him incapacitated for 25 years before he passed. Father's side of the family has many with "hardening of the arteries". I recently visited with a paternal cousin with full blown dementia in his early 60's I long believed heart disease would cause death in my father's family before dementia happened. Julie's recent post I read somewhere about her mother's, brain bleeds and Coronary artery disease struck home.
I came out of my funk of depression several months after knowing I was APOE3/4 when I became clear about epigenetic genes nutrition and lifestyle choices. In 2014 I began following the Wahl's Protocol paleo then paleo plus eating strategy red and reread her work. About 5 years ago I discovered the work of Dale Bredesen, read and reread his books. I came across this website about APOE 4 through following Dr Bredesen, I began perusing this website.
Currently I clean fast minimum 18 hours a day..up to 22 hours a day, and occasionally 40 hours. I try to keep my fats primarily olive oil, avocado, from seeds and nuts, limited coconut oil and fermented ghee (had to lower the saturated fats because of APOE 3/4). I am grain free most of the time, dairy free most of the time, legume free most of the time. I focus on vegetables as outlined in the Wahl's protocol (leafy greens, sulfured, and brightly colored). Blood tests in September Insulin 2.5 (has been as high as 15), HA1c 4.9, fasting 86, average glucose 89. Total cholesterol 204, HDL 67, Triglycerides 43,Vitamin B12 969, Vitamin D 74 ...been as low as 12, Inflammation markers have historically been slightly elevated. From Bredesens work, I think I may have mild leaky gut or gingivitis issues that are not totally resolved, or maybe the intermittent grain, dairy legumes cause mild inflammation. My blood/brain barrier from Cyrex lab tests indicate it is not leaky. Heavy metal toxin exposure is not an issue.
Anyway health is a proactive journey. I wish to age gracefully with my mental faculties intact.
Hi Sunshine,
I just wanted to say that we do all know what works for our bodies and what doesn't. Whilst we're all different and different diets/lifestyles will suit us all differently, I just loved hearing how you came to understand what works for you! I do think with so much advice in the media, people are losing this connection with their bodies and understanding what will work for them. It's great to hear how you've listened to your body and are working with it.
Good luck with dealing with the gum disease / leaky gut issues that you've identified. You're doing some great work and I hope you do indeed age gracefully!
Lindsey
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach