Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
aharabin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by aharabin »

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure how to introduce myself, so I'm trying it here.
My name is Elka, I'm 68, turning 69 in March. I chose the 23&me genetic test and I was fully aware that it might be difficult to accept the finality of my APOE 4 (heterogenous) status. I also knew that my diet was wildly all over the place and that I find sugar highly addictive. Well here I am; I'm not happy but I know I need to improve my diet and sleep habits. I do have some elevated blood sugars.
Otherwise, I'm in good shape, with no blood pressure or weight problems. I've not told anyone of my EPOE allele status.

Elka
Goldygirl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Member

Post by Goldygirl »

aharabin wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:07 am Hi,
I'm not entirely sure how to introduce myself, so I'm trying it here.
My name is Elka, I'm 68, turning 69 in March. I chose the 23&me genetic test and I was fully aware that it might be difficult to accept the finality of my APOE 4 (heterogenous) status. I also knew that my diet was wildly all over the place and that I find sugar highly addictive. Well here I am; I'm not happy but I know I need to improve my diet and sleep habits. I do have some elevated blood sugars.
Otherwise, I'm in good shape, with no blood pressure or weight problems. I've not told anyone of my EPOE allele status.
Elka
Hi Elka,
So glad that you found your way here to the ApoE4.info website and it is great to virtually meet you! This is a wonderfully supportive and knowledgeable community where you’ll gather information, resources and ideas from others with similar interests. There are many peeps here who have shared their experiences managing the range of thoughts, emotions and lifestyle modifications when accepting their APOE status. Your apparent courage in sharing your status, as well as your level of self awareness regarding key pillars of health are favourable character traits that will support you as you navigate this journey.
Research in recent years has shown that making certain lifestyle choices can have a protective effect on one’s wellness. Your awareness of the impact of nutrition and sleep on health, and knowing your APOE status could be the catalyst for making those baby steps toward a lifestyle that will make a significant impact on your overall as well as your brain health. You will find others on this site and elsewhere who carry the ApoE4 gene and are living healthy and active lives.

In my role as a Support Team Intern, I would like to officially welcome you to this forum and provide you with some guidance to get the most out of this website. First, if you would like to learn more about ApoE4, the Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing Medical Doctor with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies. There is also an accompanying glossary for the Primer.

There is a How to Guide that offers tips on how to navigate forums and respond to posts including how to quote members (use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post) so they get an email notification of your post. It also demonstrates how to use the “Search” function for topics, and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.
Finally, if you would like to learn more about other community members' experiences or even share more about your own, you can link to Our Stories.

I hope you find these tools useful as you navigate the site. Thank you for your brave and helpful contribution and I encourage you to continue to share about your experiences. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need any assistance.

Best in health,
Barbara
Goldygirl
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
aharabin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by aharabin »

Hi Barbara,

Mostly I feel reasonably calm about the APOe4 -just sometimes I feel that it presents a terrible deadline at around the age of 80, or that I have roughly ten years and that's it
. I was happy to hear of those 70 and older
who carry the APOe4 allele and have no cognitive impairment.

I took the 23&me genetic test and have a question for anyone who took it too-if you are heterozygous did they tell you the other allele? Maybe I have to look at it again, but I did not see it. I'm just assuming it's 3, and I'm 3/4.

thank you?
TLS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TLS »

Hi,
23 and me's report does not show the other allele. They show the results of the rs429358 gene.

You can look it up manually on their site by going to the raw data and looking up rs7412 which is the second gene. They will display the results to you.

This link to SNP Media provides an overview: https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/APOE
apoe 3/4
aharabin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by aharabin »

Thank you!
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

Hi Elka
Well done for taking that first step and finding out your apoe4 status. It takes some guts to start this journey and now you're armed with information. If you haven't already, do get a copy of The End of Alzheimer's Programme by Dr. Bredesen it'll help you to work through making the diet and sleep changes you've identified as your priority. Do take a look at the rest of the Bredesen 7 (7 lifestyle factors that can help with brain health) as well.
Do let us know how you're getting on from time to time, this is a great community who can really help with support and advice.
Lindsey
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach