Ozempic

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
QueenJane
Contributor
Contributor

Ozempic

Post by QueenJane »

Hi, All - first time poster, long time lurker, and yes! - I’ve read the wiki and the primer. Today, I’m seeking your insights on the prosepct of taking Ozempic or Wegovy as preventatives. I’ve heard that metformin can contribute to longevity and brain health, though I’m guessing that’s primarily in in ppl with Type 2 diabetes? I’m wondering if these other two diabetes treatments would be helpful. I would love to lose 15lbs, that’s true, and these meds are being used widely for weight loss, but the main issue I’m struggling with is the sugar cravings I’m experiencing with the end stages of perimenopause. I’ve been doing IF for 4 years, and I’m now skirting around keto, and the first two weeks of my cycle are manageable, but then the cravings skyrocket, and fasting and keto go out the window. I’ve never been in that place before with my body in my life.

So, I’m thinking these meds might be helpful. I know that many ppl on them lose sugar cravings altogether and can fast for long periods of time. They lower blood sugar and cholesterol, they prevent plaque build up in the arteries in the brain...So, what do you all think about Ozempic? Metformin? Thanks!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Ozempic

Post by Tincup »

QueenJane wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:45 am Today, I’m seeking your insights on the prosepct of taking Ozempic or Wegovy as preventatives.

So, I’m thinking these meds might be helpful. I know that many ppl on them lose sugar cravings altogether and can fast for long periods of time. They lower blood sugar and cholesterol, they prevent plaque build up in the arteries in the brain...So, what do you all think about Ozempic? Metformin? Thanks!
Welcome Jane!

I happened to listen to a podcast with Dr. Mindy Pelz and she addresses IF for women around their cycle and also into menopause. I don't recall who the podcast was with, but I thought it was very good (I'm male, so have no experience). She addresses the hormonal reasons for what you are experiencing and how to adapt your approach during various cycle phases.

Peter Attia specifically addresses semaglutide in this podcast. The full version is for subscribers, but if you message me with an email address, I could forward the audio. He specifically breaks down this paper "Once-Weekly Semaglutide in Adults with Overweight or Obesity" in the podcast.

Attia has also addressed metformin numerous times. Here is a search of his podcasts.
Tincup
E3,E4
QueenJane
Contributor
Contributor

Post by QueenJane »

Thank you, Tincup! I pm’d you.
SandyZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SandyZ »

QueenJane wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:45 am Hi, All - first time poster, long time lurker, and yes! - I’ve read the wiki and the primer. Today, I’m seeking your insights on the prosepct of taking Ozempic or Wegovy as preventatives. I’ve heard that metformin can contribute to longevity and brain health, though I’m guessing that’s primarily in in ppl with Type 2 diabetes? I’m wondering if these other two diabetes treatments would be helpful. I would love to lose 15lbs, that’s true, and these meds are being used widely for weight loss, but the main issue I’m struggling with is the sugar cravings I’m experiencing with the end stages of perimenopause. I’ve been doing IF for 4 years, and I’m now skirting around keto, and the first two weeks of my cycle are manageable, but then the cravings skyrocket, and fasting and keto go out the window. I’ve never been in that place before with my body in my life.

Welcome QueenJane,

Thank you for reaching out to the group with your question. I see that Tincup provided you some information.

As a Welcome Intern, I'd like to officially welcome you to this group of caring, giving and knowledgeable individuals. I would like to point out some links/resources that might be helpful as you explore the site further.

The Primer is written by Stavia, a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

In addition, the How to Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums, including how to quote members when you respond to posts so they get an email notification of your post (tip: use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post). The How to Guide also demonstrates how to use the Search function for topics and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

The Wiki is another resource full of information that you might helpful.

Finally, if you would like to learn more about other community members' experiences or even continue to share more about your own, feel free to link to Our Stories.

Please reach out for assistance as you navigate the site. I look forward to hearing more from you.

In good health,

SandyZ
SandyZ
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Trained Health Coach
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

QueenJane wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:45 am I’m seeking your insights on the prospect of taking Ozempic or Wegovy as preventatives.
Hi Jane,

This post just came out from Peter Attia this morning.
"Lean mass loss on GLP-1 receptor agonists: a downside of the “miracle drugs”"

His final paragraph "As we’ve seen time and again, there are no such things as “miracle drugs,” and GLP-1 agonists are no exception to this rule. While they may have value for certain individuals, these medications come with downsides beyond their hefty price tag, and both physicians and patients ought to exercise extreme caution and discretion in determining whether they are truly the right choice for weight management."
Tincup
E3,E4
QueenJane
Contributor
Contributor

Post by QueenJane »

Tincup wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:06 am
QueenJane wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:45 am I’m seeking your insights on the prospect of taking Ozempic or Wegovy as preventatives.
Hi Jane,

This post just came out from Peter Attia this morning.
"Lean mass loss on GLP-1 receptor agonists: a downside of the “miracle drugs”"

His final paragraph "As we’ve seen time and again, there are no such things as “miracle drugs,” and GLP-1 agonists are no exception to this rule. While they may have value for certain individuals, these medications come with downsides beyond their hefty price tag, and both physicians and patients ought to exercise extreme caution and discretion in determining whether they are truly the right choice for weight management."
Thank you, Tincup. I’m definitely concerned about longterm ramifications. I just wish there was some part of this that was easy. Exercise? Sure! I love it. But I herniated a disk in my L-spine and I’m having enough L knee pain to keep me from running anymore. Sleep? That’s an iffy situation every night. Fasting? Yep, that was going great for about 4 years, but this new phase of perimenopause has made that, and keto, extremely difficult. And don’t even get me started on my oral health. I’ll be making a post about that in the next few days.

Despite all of this, rest assured that I’m a fighter. I don’t roll up into a ball and pretend problems will just magically go away, but every time I explore a new avenue in this arena, my efforts seem to be thwarted. That’s how I’m feeling tonight, anyway. I’ll get back on the horse tomorrow. Thank you for trying to help me, and for letting me vent.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

This article was written by Tess Bredesen, Dr Dale Bredesen's daughter, who is pretty impressive in her own right as Director of Cognitive Nutrition at Thrive Global and founder of Sia Health. She specializes in nutritional interventions to enhance cognitive function and prevent decline.

What the Ozempic Obsession Misses About Food and Health
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

QueenJane wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:45 am ....I’m struggling with is the sugar cravings I’m experiencing with the end stages of perimenopause. I’ve been doing IF for 4 years, and I’m now skirting around keto, and the first two weeks of my cycle are manageable, but then the cravings skyrocket, and fasting and keto go out the window. I’ve never been in that place before with my body in my life.
Hi QueenJane, This is not a direct answer to your questions, but might be a different approach. Have you considered bioidentical hormones to help with the symptoms of menopause? From what you wrote, it sounds like the cravings you are experiencing are related to the hormonal changes of perimenopause.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
QueenJane
Contributor
Contributor

Post by QueenJane »

floramaria wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:09 pm
QueenJane wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:45 am ....I’m struggling with is the sugar cravings I’m experiencing with the end stages of perimenopause. I’ve been doing IF for 4 years, and I’m now skirting around keto, and the first two weeks of my cycle are manageable, but then the cravings skyrocket, and fasting and keto go out the window. I’ve never been in that place before with my body in my life.
Hi QueenJane, This is not a direct answer to your questions, but might be a different approach. Have you considered bioidentical hormones to help with the symptoms of menopause? From what you wrote, it sounds like the cravings you are experiencing are related to the hormonal changes of perimenopause.
Hi Floramaria,

First off, thank you to everyone who responded. I very much appreciate all of your insights and input!

As far as BHRT - yes! I have tried it. I’m still perimenopausal, but I’m only getting periods about every 7-8 weeks now. Progesterone absolutely saved me early on. I had extreme anxiety, and that balanced me right out. I took it for a few years, but I stopped this past summer because I noticed I was getting ravenous during the second half of my cycle, and I thought maybe it had something to do with the added progesterone since that was something that occurred in the second half of my cycle for every month of my menstruating life. I dropped 5 lbs right away. Hunger got more manageable, but still out of reasonable bounds.

This past November, I decided to try low dose estrogen to kick things off, followed by progesterone mid-cycle, but all that did was make me irritable in the first half, and chubby in the second 🤦🏻‍♀️ Now, I’m thinking maybe I should wait until I’m fully in menopause to start? But I don’t know if that’s positive or negative for brain health. Again, I feel like I run into a wall with everything I want to do for brain health.

My father was a brilliant endocrinologist, and he often stressed to me how important it was for a woman to maintain her hormone levels as she aged. He stopped practicing 15 years ago, but he fully believed at that time that the best way to take bhrt estrogen was transdermally, and the progesterone could be taken orally. He also believed that a woman should keep all of her reproductive organs whenever possible because they continue to secret low levels of hormones, and drs are realky not sure what the fallout of removing them can be. But that’s, of course, not always possible. I’m all in on bhrt, but I can’t seem to get it balanced out, and I can’t find a good dr to help me. It seems that all of the gynecological endocrinologists in my area only know know how to do fertility treatments anymore, and don’t deal with menopause. And of course my regular gynecologist recommended antidepressants, which is absurd. Why would you treat a hormone issue with psychtropic medications that have poorly controlled influence over hormones, a long list of side effects, and no long term info on the effects on brain health? Plus, many increase the risk of breast cancer in some ppl, probably due to the poor understanding of their effects on hormones. I don’t see him anymore.

On a side note, for anyone whom this may benefit, before putting me on progesterone, my new gynecological endo asked me how I felt during my pregnancies. I said, “ better than I ever felt in my whole adult life!” She said that made me a perfect candidate for progesterone, and sure enough, it was a life-saver for me. Thinking back, I acknowledged that I’ve always had significant struggles with pms, and I lost 4 pregnancies. I used progesterone suppositories to maintain my two successful pregnancies, and because of that, we were blessed with two amazing kids. All things considered, I now believe that the differences between men and women in terms of rates of depression and anxiety are directly due to progesterone, women’s reliance on it, and low levels in a good portion of the female population. Instead of putting women - and girls! - on antidepressants, I think progesterone should be tried first. There are definitely some situations where the psychtropics are necessary and very beneficial, but I think they missed the target all together for me with a history of quite significant depression and anxiety. I fully believe it was a progesterone issue.

Thank you in advance for any more info you can share with me. I’m not giving up! I just have to find the right keys for the right locks.

Blessings to all,
Jen
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

QueenJane wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:31 am Now, I’m thinking maybe I should wait until I’m fully in menopause to start? But I don’t know if that’s positive or negative for brain health.

My father was a brilliant endocrinologist, and he often stressed to me how important it was for a woman to maintain her hormone levels as she aged. He stopped practicing 15 years ago, but he fully believed at that time that the best way to take bhrt estrogen was transdermally, and the progesterone could be taken orally. He also believed that a woman should keep all of her reproductive organs whenever possible because they continue to secret low levels of hormones, and drs are realky not sure what the fallout of removing them can be. But that’s, of course, not always possible. I’m all in on bhrt, but I can’t seem to get it balanced out, and I can’t find a good dr to help me.
Thank you in advance for any more info you can share with me. I’m not giving up! I just have to find the right keys for the right locks.
Hi Jen, How amazing to have had such a progressive and brilliant endocrinologist for your dad!
He was way ahead of his time.
I’m posting a link to an article on menopause and Alzheimer’s:
https://www.beingpatient.com/dr-richard ... menopause/
I listened to an interview with Isaacson that I thought was excellent. But I remember thinking, “ Darn!I missed the boat!” Because , if I’m remembering correctly, he thought that the changes during menopause should be avoided and I’d already gone through that without any hormones.
Anyway, maybe it will have helpful info for you.

I sympathize with you about not being able to find a knowledgeable gynecological endocrinologist. I’m going through the same thing.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health