AGE/RAGE-help deciphering please

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Max100
Contributor
Contributor

AGE/RAGE-help deciphering please

Post by Max100 »

The study refers to increased risk of Alzheimer’s for the risk allele (82S or A) but it seems to be the same increased risk for apoe4 and non-apoe4 carriers. I have an A/G allele but not sure how much risk these studies infer?

The OR is 2.6 for apoe4 carriers, but that’s the same basic OR for apoe4 compared to non apoe4. It also states I believe that the OR is lower than 2.6 when apoe4 is factored.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Some of these studies are difficult to understand the implications.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2895876/
TLS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: AGE/RAGE-help deciphering please

Post by TLS »

I won't be much help on the study itself, however, advanced glycation end products are produced when charring meat and associated with high-temperature cooking. I think regardless of the gene type it's a good idea to marinate any meat prior to cooking to offset the AGEs or to cook at lower temperatures.

Here is a link viewtopic.php?p=70803#p70803 to a previous discussion on this forum.
apoe 3/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Max100 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:35 am Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Some of these studies are difficult to understand the implications.
AGE = Advanced Glycation End-products
RAGE = the Receptor for Advanced Glycation End-products

Yes, the studies can be difficult to understand, I find Healthline a nice source of information. They decipher findings from studies and provide footnotes for reference. This is their article on Advanced Glycation End-products. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ad ... d-products

From it:
However, studies have found that harmful compounds called advanced glycation end products (AGEs) may also have a powerful effect on your metabolic health — regardless of your weight.
I would add regardless of genotype also.

The intro also says:
AGEs accumulate naturally as you age and are created when certain foods are cooked at high temperatures.

This article explains all you need to know about AGEs, including what they are and how you can reduce your levels.
Outline of this article linked above:
"What Are Advanced Glycation End Products (AGEs)?":
-What they are
-Diet and AGEs
-Harmful effects
-Low-AGE diets
-How much is too much
-Tips
-Bottom Line

I hope the article helps with your understanding.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Max100
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Max100 »

Thanks everyone for the input. It seems my diet and lifestyle are in pretty good order regarding age/rages.

On to the next thing to worry about. 😂