Well isn’t this website just great…

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
RichRobard
Contributor
Contributor

Well isn’t this website just great…

Post by RichRobard »

Found out I was APOE 4/4 about 8 years ago from a 23andme test. I was already in good cardiovascular health (long distance running) but the test then prompted me to make some lifestyle changes (work/life balance, sleep). Reading about Chris Hemsworth prompted me to take a look for updated guidance online and here I am!

A couple of newbie questions

1. How well are people managing balancing macros if pescatarian? I did some food tracking today and ended up 25% protein, 25% carbs (all fruit and veg) and 50% fat (mainly from salmon, nuts and EVOO). Feel healthy from it, but is 50% too high?

2. When I’ve imported my data into promethease it’s flagged up as possible false positive. Is it worth getting another test? If so, who is recommended (uk)? Both my maternal grandparents had Alzheimer’s so the result wasn’t a total surprise to me.

Thanks all for your contributions to this site. It’s a real treasure trove of knowledge
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Well isn’t this website just great…

Post by Tincup »

RichRobard wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:44 pm 1. How well are people managing balancing macros if pescatarian? I did some food tracking today and ended up 25% protein, 25% carbs (all fruit and veg) and 50% fat (mainly from salmon, nuts and EVOO). Feel healthy from it, but is 50% too high?
First a comment about protein %. In this Peter Attia podcast with career long protein researcher, Don Layman, Layman says that we have an absolute protein requirement & really amino acid requirement, not as a % of intake. To your question about %fat, for animal protein, I eat white fish & shellfish. I also consume lots of high polyphenol organic Tunisian olive oil & nuts. I haven't done the weigh everything with a scale bit for a while, but I'm probably in the same range. I've run my intake up to 70% fat without issue. If your weight is healthy, then you are likely fine. Off topic I would suggest including strength training in addition to your running a couple of times a week if not already doing so.
Tincup
E3,E4
RichRobard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichRobard »

Tincup wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:24 pm
RichRobard wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:44 pm 1. How well are people managing balancing macros if pescatarian? I did some food tracking today and ended up 25% protein, 25% carbs (all fruit and veg) and 50% fat (mainly from salmon, nuts and EVOO). Feel healthy from it, but is 50% too high?
First a comment about protein %. In this Peter Attia podcast with career long protein researcher, Don Layman, Layman says that we have an absolute protein requirement & really amino acid requirement, not as a % of intake. To your question about %fat, for animal protein, I eat white fish & shellfish. I also consume lots of high polyphenol organic Tunisian olive oil & nuts. I haven't done the weigh everything with a scale bit for a while, but I'm probably in the same range. I've run my intake up to 70% fat without issue. If your weight is healthy, then you are likely fine. Off topic I would suggest including strength training in addition to your running a couple of times a week if not already doing so.
Thanks, that’s useful. When I was at my fittest (around 6 years ago)I was high protein, but was eating lean meat which is an easy way to get high protein without overdoing the fats. I’m also apparently genetically predisposed to a lower carb, higher omega 3 diet so I think this approach makes sense.

You’re right about the strength training. Introduced some last year and it’s helped reduce injuries etc.

Thanks for the help!
SandyZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SandyZ »

RichRobard wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:44 pm Found out I was APOE 4/4 about 8 years ago from a 23andme test. I was already in good cardiovascular health (long distance running) but the test then prompted me to make some lifestyle changes (work/life balance, sleep). Reading about Chris Hemsworth prompted me to take a look for updated guidance online and here I am!

A couple of newbie questions

Thanks all for your contributions to this site. It’s a real treasure trove of knowledge
Welcome RichRobard!

Thank you for reaching out to the group with your question. I see that Tincup provided you some information.

As a Welcome Intern, I'd like to officially welcome you to this caring, giving and knowledgeable group. I would like to point out some links/resources that might be helpful as you explore the site further.

The Primer is written by Stavia, a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

In addition, the How to Guide offers tips on how to navigate forums, including how to quote members when you respond to posts so they get an email notification of your post (tip: use the quotation icon in the upper right of any post). The How to Guide also demonstrates how to use the Search function for topics and how to subscribe to topics of interest in the forums.

The Wiki is another resource full of information that you might helpful.

Finally, if you would like to learn more about other community members' experiences or even continue to share more about your own, feel free to link to Our Stories.

Please reach out for assistance as you navigate the site. I look forward to hearing more from you.

In good health,

SandyZ
SandyZ
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Trained Health Coach
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

Hi Rich

I'm in the UK and I did 23&me too. I came out 3/3. My Mum is 3/4. I'm on prevention anyway, because it's not so much about just that 1 gene, but about all the other genetic contributors and even more about lifestyle. So, my thoughts would be, do the prevention protocol anyway! You've already made some lifestyle changes, so you're doing a great job!
I put my 23&me results through nutrahacker.com ($37) and got more detail on many more genetic contributors and that helped me get a much better idea on prioritising my prevention strategies.
I hope that helps

Lindsey
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach
RichRobard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichRobard »

TCHC wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:05 am Hi Rich

I'm in the UK and I did 23&me too. I came out 3/3. My Mum is 3/4. I'm on prevention anyway, because it's not so much about just that 1 gene, but about all the other genetic contributors and even more about lifestyle. So, my thoughts would be, do the prevention protocol anyway! You've already made some lifestyle changes, so you're doing a great job!
I put my 23&me results through nutrahacker.com ($37) and got more detail on many more genetic contributors and that helped me get a much better idea on prioritising my prevention strategies.
I hope that helps

Lindsey
Thanks Lindsey. I’d already paid for another 23andMe test on the upgraded chip before I’d read this. Will take a look at nutrahacker though.

Been working on ketosis this week and although as a pescatarian it’s a bit challenging I’ve been testing positive for ketones for a couple of days now. Lost 4lbs too and feeling good.

Hoping to find a sustainable way to keep doing the good stuff.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

RichRobard wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:27 am Been working on ketosis this week and although as a pescatarian it’s a bit challenging I’ve been testing positive for ketones for a couple of days now. Lost 4lbs too and feeling good.

Hoping to find a sustainable way to keep doing the good stuff.
Hi Rich, “….a sustainable way to keep doing the good stuff” is a good way to think about it. Coming up with a program that works for you and that you can stick with long term is important. (Though, of course, there may be a lot of tweaking along the way. )
Congratulations on testing positive for ketones!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
RichRobard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichRobard »

floramaria wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:33 pm
Hi Rich, “….a sustainable way to keep doing the good stuff” is a good way to think about it. Coming up with a program that works for you and that you can stick with long term is important. (Though, of course, there may be a lot of tweaking along the way. )
Congratulations on testing positive for ketones!
Thanks! It’s a tricky shift. I’ve now lost 6lbs in a week and although that’s a nice bonus (now only a couple of lbs off my target weight) that’s not really my ultimate aim. It’s fat adaptation that I’m after.

My challenge now is

a) not losing too much weight - presumably this will tail off a bit?

b) finding a way to make this work with my half marathon training. I ran 7 miles yesterday (furthest I’ve been since Keto) and 3 miles in I was clearly out of glycogen. Plodded on but I was ruined for the rest of the day. Thigh muscles just wouldn’t function. Was severely tempted to get carbs in to replace the glycogen. Took about 8 hours for my body to do that the hard way. Still not right today.

Could do with a “running while Keto fat adapting” thread 😂
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

You might be able to stay in ketosis and eat more (healthy, less processed) carbs if you're running a lot. I find lots of really active clients can eat more carbs and stay in ketosis just fine.

You'll need to do a bit of trial and error to test out carb intakes and keep testing with the ketostix to see how you're doing.
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

Oh, sorry, and for the not losing too much weight... the first week you do lose lots of water weight, so the weight loss does tail off. But you can always eat more healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, seeds, avocados) to stop the weight loss.
And... are you replacing your electrolytes - that might be having an impact too on the loss of energy.
I've got a great "mug bread" recipe that is really calorific and satisfying, that I get all my clients on if they really don't need to lose any weight.
I'm not sure how to put it in here, as it's a jpg file. I'll try the private message function to see if you can attach files there.