Fructose leads to Alzheimer’s? (new hypothesis and wiki)

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Fructose leads to Alzheimer’s? (new hypothesis and wiki)

Post by TheresaB »

This recently published paper has been causing quite a stir.
Could Alzheimer’s disease be a maladaptation of an evolutionary survival pathway mediated by intracerebral fructose and uric acid metabolism?

Published earlier this month (March 2023), the lead author is Dr Richard J Johnson. He is a researcher on sugar, fructose especially, and one of the products of fructose metabolism, uric acid. He has published over 500 papers. Of note, names we're more familiar with, neurologists Dr Dale Bredesen and Dr David Perlmutter are also authors on this paper.

So what do you think of when you hear: Brain Insulin Resistance, Mitochondrial dysfunction/ATP depletion, and Inflammation? Alzheimer’s Disease, right? Guess what, those are also three things that fructose drives in the body!

The harmful effects of excess fructose have been known for a while, but this connection to AD is new. This was probably facilitated by a recent discovery that explains high levels of fructose in some people (which includes Alzheimer’s patients). Researchers discovered that under certain circumstances, the body can produce its own (endogenous) fructose, even without consuming (exogenous) fructose. Researchers think this mechanism was beneficial for early man to survive but because of overstimulation today, now plays a major role in the development of certain diseases including Alzheimer’s. Some of the circumstances that drive the body to produce fructose involve common modern western dietary practices.

Fascinated by this, I felt we needed a new ApoE4.info wiki on this subject, it can be found here: From Fructose to Alzheimer's. I tried to keep the discussion high level and accessible, but there's so much to this subject, I hope I did it justice. This subject is especially important for ApoE4s since we’re at greater risk for Alzheimer’s and we seem to be more susceptible to the harmful effects brought on by fructose :(

By the way, have you visited our wiki lately? This Fructose page isn’t the only new introduction to our ApoE4.info wiki. Since the beginning of the year (Jan 1, 2023) there have been additions/revisions to the following pages:

*ApoE ε4 and health conditions besides (or maybe contributing to) Alzheimer’s

*ApoE4-Aware Health Coaches

*Beneficial (and some negative) Plant/Natural Chemicals

*Exercise - Types, Lengths, and Benefits

*Fats, Omega -3(ω-3) & -6(ω-6), DHA and More

*Insulin Resistance in the brain

*Main Page

*Mitochondria

*Non-white or non-European descent

*Oxalates
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Fructose leads to Alzheimer’s? (new hypothesis and wiki)

Post by BrianR »

TheresaB wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:20 pm Fascinated by this, I felt we needed a new ApoE4.info wiki on this subject, it can be found here: From Fructose to Alzheimer's. I tried to keep the discussion high level and accessible, but there's so much to this subject, I hope I did it justice. ...
Theresa, this is a superb addition to the wiki. Clearly written and diving into the scientific details needed to evaluate the subject.

For those who like to listen, Richard Johnson has been on the Peter Attia podcast twice and the David Perlmutter podcast twice (the latter more focused on Uric Acid).

Peter Attia #87 – Rick Johnson, M.D.: Metabolic Effects of Fructose
Peter Attia#194 – How fructose drives metabolic disease | Rick Johnson, M.D.

David Perlmutter (Dec 29, 2021) Uric Acid – The Acid You May Need to Drop
David Perlmutter (Jan 25, 2022) Fructose and Uric Acid – What Once Helped Us Survive Now Poses an Existential Threat

Until I listened to the second Attia podcast, I hadn't really understood how much fructose could come from endogenous production.

I remember this quote particularly caught my attention "French fries are particularly fattening because they have the salt and the carbs that together really turn on this pathway to make fructose." Realizing that I could minimize consuming fructose containing foods and still have excess levels of fructose in my blood and cells was eye-opening.

(Not that I have ever thought french fries are nutritionally beneficial, but the indirect mechanism of action with starches and salt was new.)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

BrianR wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:41 am
TheresaB wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:20 pm Fascinated by this, I felt we needed a new ApoE4.info wiki on this subject, it can be found here: From Fructose to Alzheimer's. I tried to keep the discussion high level and accessible, but there's so much to this subject, I hope I did it justice. ...
Theresa, this is a superb addition to the wiki. Clearly written and diving into the scientific details needed to evaluate the subject.

For those who like to listen, Richard Johnson has been on the Peter Attia podcast twice and the David Perlmutter podcast twice (the latter more focused on Uric Acid).
Concur that Theresa's is a great addition to the wiki!

More for those who like to listen. Richard Johnson did a 3 part lecture series on the topic for Low Carb Down Under in 2022.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Tincup
E3,E4
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Thanks for the eye-opening new wiki article, Theresa. Years ago when I was interested in ketogenesis, I learned the hard way (muscle cramps!) about the importance of getting enough salt. I have been salting my food liberally ever since. The salt pathway described in your article is an important cautionary note.

I look forward to reading the paper once it's available on Sci-Hub.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

MarcR wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:56 am I have been salting my food liberally ever since. The salt pathway described in your article is an important cautionary note.
In one of the interviews or presentations (it may have been the Q&A at the conference Johnson spoke at a few weeks ago that I attended), I recall Johnson saying that this likely wasn't a huge issue for those on a keto diet because of their small amount of glucose in the diet (the salt pathway converting glucose to fructose).
Tincup
E3,E4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Tincup wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:51 pm the salt pathway converting glucose to fructose
Also known as the polyol pathway that converts glucose and salt to fructose in the body.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Maria4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maria4/4 »

MarcR wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:56 am Thanks for the eye-opening new wiki article, Theresa. Years ago when I was interested in ketogenesis, I learned the hard way (muscle cramps!) about the importance of getting enough salt. I have been salting my food liberally ever since. The salt pathway described in your article is an important cautionary note.

I look forward to reading the paper once it's available on Sci-Hub.
I have the same problem, Marc.

I recall that dr. Johnson said on Dhru podcast that this could happen to people that reduced their processed food intake, because processed food have a lot of salt. So, as we also need salt for brain health (as dr. Huberman is always saying), I think this additional salt that we take can be beneficial. I regularly test my sodium levels to be sure I am not overdoing it and they are always fine. My blood pressure is also low, so I am confortable with my salt intake. I really need it to avoid the terrible cramps.

Dhru podcast with dr. Johnson https://youtu.be/3VxkHiQFeJw

Maria 4/4