Overwhelming anxiety

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Overwhelming anxiety

Post by abalboa »

AllTheFeels wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:54 am Thank you so much! I’m trying not to let ocd control every aspect of this because I know it can. Right now I’m struggling to even eat because I’m terrified that what I eat will increase my risk. I’m just in a really bad place mentally and hope I can get out of this pit soon
Good morning! I hope you are feeling a little more settled and grounded today. This is a very hard time but it will get better... I also wanted to mention that if you are really feeling overwhelmed and paralyzed by the information overload and choices... you may want to consider asking for some support from your providers office or a health coach that is educated on APOE4. You dont need to be terrified by every choice you make and they might be able to help you move forward with some simple steps to get you out of the paralysis and not feeling like you have to understand everything all at once. You have so much going for you with your age and the information available for you. They key is not let the overwhelm shut you down. You don't have to understand it all at once and there are resources to get help if you need it. I've included a link to APOE4 aware coaches and practitioners if that feels right to you to explore.. it may offer a a little support and help reduce the paralysis in the short term to have that extra person with knowledge in your corner until you feel more steady..APOE4 aware health coaches
APOE4 aware healthcare practitioners
Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach-FMCA
RECODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

AllTheFeels wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:54 am Thank you so much! I’m trying not to let ocd control every aspect of this because I know it can. Right now I’m struggling to even eat because I’m terrified that what I eat will increase my risk. I’m just in a really bad place mentally and hope I can get out of this pit soon.
Hi again, AllTheFeels,

I have family members who have experienced serious anxiety and clinical depression (not just "the blues") and they have described themselves as being "in a really bad place" and "in a pit" they can't get out of. Please know that this is one of those times when your brain and body together are saying "We might need some short-term support for this." If you couldn't catch your breath, you'd call your doctor ASAP to see if you needed an inhaler, an antibiotic, or something else. Right now your emotions "can't breathe" and are in a pit.

Please call your doctor today and say something like "I just found out I have a high genetic risk for late-onset Alzheimer's disease and have been feeling overwhelming anxiety for days. I can't get out of this pit and am in a really bad place. Can I see you today to talk about options for relieving this initial anxiety? "

Anxiety is just as real as asthma, and just as hard to talk yourself out of at times . The sooner you get some support, whether with a short-term anxiety medication or someone to talk to, or both, the better for you and your three children.

Put yourself first today, and reach out for a lifeline.

Hugs,

Nancy
4/4 and still an optimist!
AllTheFeels
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AllTheFeels »

Thank you so much. I meet with my doctor tomorrrow and my therapist again today. I just feel like I have no future anymore. Recently learned most if not all of my fathers uncles died from Alzheimer’s and that only added to it. I’ve been exercising more and forcing myself to eat, even if only protein shakes. Trying to reframe my mind that this isn’t a guarantee. That I have time to make changes and monitor my health. I hope anyways.
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

AllTheFeels wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:39 am Thank you so much. I meet with my doctor tomorrrow and my therapist again today. I just feel like I have no future anymore. Recently learned most if not all of my fathers uncles died from Alzheimer’s and that only added to it. I’ve been exercising more and forcing myself to eat, even if only protein shakes. Trying to reframe my mind that this isn’t a guarantee. That I have time to make changes and monitor my health. I hope anyways.
So glad you are getting the support you need right now! Genes are ABSOLUTELY not a guarantee! Your uncles and your father didn't have the knowledge and the time that you have. Please be gentle with yourself.. deep breathes today... I also felt this panic when my father was diagnosed and I realized his mother and my aunts had also likely suffered from undiagnosed AD as well. But if we get that support to move through this time... you will be able to feel more in control again and not "in the pit". While we each have our own ways to cope... one thing that helps me is to take a break in nature and try to get out of my mind. Walk slowly... look around at what you see.. notice the trees, leaves, birds and sounds along with just the simple feeling of your feet touching the earth. When we get so trapped in our minds... it can help to purposefully move that attention back into our bodies and into our surroundings.
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition
AllTheFeels
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AllTheFeels »

I have been trying to walk and do things but as soon as I get home I spiral again. I’m back in school pursuing a new career and unfortunately my classes are suffering. I just feel like there isn’t a reality where I don’t suffer the same fate as my father—also realizing I have unprocessed trauma from watching my dad go through this.

I’m really working on getting a grip on this but am limited on meds to take since I’m still breastfeeding my three month old. Truly just in it right now waiting for the storm to pass.
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

AllTheFeels wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:27 pm I have been trying to walk and do things but as soon as I get home I spiral again. I’m back in school pursuing a new career and unfortunately my classes are suffering. I just feel like there isn’t a reality where I don’t suffer the same fate as my father—also realizing I have unprocessed trauma from watching my dad go through this.

I’m really working on getting a grip on this but am limited on meds to take since I’m still breastfeeding my three month old. Truly just in it right now waiting for the storm to pass.
Yes.. sometimes waiting for the storm to pass is the process.. but we do know that it always passes and please reach out if you need help during this time. To a loved one, friend, doctor or therapist... or even just keeping us updated here at APOE4. I am not sure where you live but there are often local support groups that can offer you that live human connection and support. Would it be a possibility to share your journey with your teachers and see if you might be able to reduce a little of the burden right now? Is your OB or PCP aware of your situation? Having a new baby and the natural hormonal changes along with the natural exhaustion of caring for an infant could be making this even harder for you to manage. And I do understand about the trauma you mention... it's very hard to see a loved one go through that process and not imagine its ourselves next. But truly... if you have not read the science on our chances of reducing the risks with lifestyles changes.. you might consider it. It may be empowering to understand that more clearly. There is a very real and very likely possibility of a fate where you have a fulfilling career, a happy and healthy family and no expression of Alzheimer's or cognitive decline!
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition
AllTheFeels
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AllTheFeels »

I have not spoken to my ob about this yet. I only found out on Friday. I see my primary care tomorrow but don’t think she’ll really do more than suggest depression meds which I try to avoid since I’m breastfeeding.

Do you by chance have a link or know of any articles to read regarding the science and lowering our risks?

Thank you in advance
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

AllTheFeels wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:15 pm I have not spoken to my ob about this yet. I only found out on Friday. I see my primary care tomorrow but don’t think she’ll really do more than suggest depression meds which I try to avoid since I’m breastfeeding.

Do you by chance have a link or know of any articles to read regarding the science and lowering our risks?

Thank you in advance
Absolutely. The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies. Additionally, another great resource is the book by Dr. Dale Bredesen called "The End of Alzheimer's Program: The First Protocol to Enhance Cognition and Reverse Decline at Any Age: The End of Alzheimer's I hope you get some restful sleep tonight and your PCP has some good advice for you tomorrow as well!
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition
AllTheFeels
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AllTheFeels »

Thank you so much for all of your help and kind words. I’m trying to let go and just focus on exercising and eating better. My last lipid panel showed normal cholesterol and high hdl. I’m hoping it’s along the same tomorrow 🙏
abalboa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abalboa »

AllTheFeels wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:13 pm Thank you so much for all of your help and kind words. I’m trying to let go and just focus on exercising and eating better. My last lipid panel showed normal cholesterol and high hdl. I’m hoping it’s along the same tomorrow 🙏
Good morning! Glad to hear about your last lipid panel. Letting go a little bit and focusing on the things that you can affect (food and exercise and a lot of other things you will likely realize as well) sounds like a great plan for yourself...
APOE4 aware health coach
MoCA Certification
BS Human Nutrition