23andMe results

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Fururuca
Contributor
Contributor

23andMe results

Post by Fururuca »

During the pandemic I decided to get a DNA from 23andMe with health panel. And 1 copy of APOE4 came back as positive. It’s said late onset and such.. I assumed I wasn’t at risk until I am in my mid 80’s.. just this past week I learned how important this info is. I already do IF and have last time tested a 4.4 a1c, but my cholesterol for the past 12 years.. LDL is always borderline high.. anyhow I am learning a lot now.. trying at least and pushing for longer and more frequent fasts and of course trying to implement bredesen protocol , but my question on the results of 23andMe. It’s says the other copy is a typical one. It makes a different knowing if I am 4/2 or 4/3? It seems that it does. I hope someone can clarify this for me. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: 23andMe results

Post by Tincup »

Fururuca wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:21 pm It makes a different knowing if I am 4/2 or 4/3? It seems that it does.
Welcome Fururuca,

I'm guessing 3/4 (it is common to write the lower number first). However there is a way to verify. See my post here on how to access your raw 23andMe data from a computer. I've never done it from a phone, though there may be a way to do it.

In any case, you can search separately for each of the two SnP's:
rs429358 rs7412 Name
C T ε1
T T ε2
T C ε3
C C ε4

I'm a 3/4 and here is what it shows:
Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 6.30.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 6.30.59 PM.png
Basically for rs429358, I'm C T and for rs7412, I'm C C

So for one SnP, I'm T C = ε3
and for the other, C C = ε4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4
NataliaReyn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NataliaReyn »

Fururuca wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:21 pm During the pandemic I decided to get a DNA from 23andMe with health panel. And 1 copy of APOE4 came back as positive. It’s said late onset and such.. I assumed I wasn’t at risk until I am in my mid 80’s.. just this past week I learned how important this info is. I already do IF and have last time tested a 4.4 a1c, but my cholesterol for the past 12 years.. LDL is always borderline high.. anyhow I am learning a lot now.. trying at least and pushing for longer and more frequent fasts and of course trying to implement bredesen protocol , but my question on the results of 23andMe. It’s says the other copy is a typical one. It makes a different knowing if I am 4/2 or 4/3? It seems that it does. I hope someone can clarify this for me. Thanks.
Hello, Fururuca!

Since you used 23&me, you can log on to that site, go to the drop down menu and select Browse Raw Data. These are referred to as SNPs, which represent variations in your DNA. Once you look up the value for rs429358 and rs7412, one at a time go to this page at snpedia https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/APOE to help you convert the results into your APOE status. If you have difficulty, you can also post what 23&me gives for those two SNPS and we'll "translate it".
About 25% of people have ApoE 3/4, while only about 2% have ApoE 2/4.

Also, as a Support Team Intern I can share a few tools/resources to get you started on our site since it looks like you have joined us very recently.

The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Two more tips to improve your experience here:
  • If you want to Search for posts on a specific topic, you can use the text box labeled "Search" right under your user name and enter those specific terms.
  • To be sure a forum member is notified of your post, just click use the large quotation mark icon in the upper right corner of they post.
Thank you for joining our forums and we hope you find this site useful!

Warmly,

Natalia
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Bredesen Protocol Health Coach
Fururuca
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fururuca »

Thank you for all the answers. I was able to check the raw data on the 23andMe and saw it, which I had never checked that portion before and understood my results!
NataliaReyn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NataliaReyn »

Fururuca wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:42 am Thank you for all the answers. I was able to check the raw data on the 23andMe and saw it, which I had never checked that portion before and understood my results!
That's great you were able to find the answers, Fururuca!

I also just want to acknowledge your hard work with trying to do the Bredesen protocol (it's not easy as there are so many pieces to it) and doing the fasting and paying attention to your biomarkers. We know that prevention is important and there are so many healthy habits we can implement daily to help us on this journey. This community is always here for you for support so please do not hesitate to reach out anytime!

Warmly,

Natalia
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Bredesen Protocol Health Coach