AD Comprehensive Gene Panel

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

AD Comprehensive Gene Panel

Post by Plumster »

I came across this GB Healthwatch genetic test for 108 genes associated with AD. It looks like your doctor has to order it for you and it's pricey at $299-$399. Here's a sample report. It may be less relevant if you've got your 23andme raw data, as several of the genes show up there.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: AD Comprehensive Gene Panel

Post by NF52 »

Plumster wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:23 pm I came across this GB Healthwatch genetic test for 108 genes associated with AD. It looks like your doctor has to order it for you and it's pricey at $299-$399. Here's a sample report. It may be less relevant if you've got your 23andme raw data, as several of the genes show up there.
Thanks for sharing this and the link for a sample Alzheimer's report, which covers ApoE, TREM2 and TNF. From a quick look, the conclusion for someone with ApoE 3/4 was "increased risk". I appreciate that they provide some detail beyond that, but the amount of data in the presentation seems like more detail than the typical person would need. [Ex.: "TNF SNV 6:g.31574705C>T upstream_variant""]

The sample Dyslipedmia and ASCVD gene panel for high LDL and "atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease" aka heart disease, includes several genes. The sample report for this person would tell them: "Polygenic risk analysis identified high risk score(s) for Hypercholesterolemia and High Lipoprotein (a). It may show the SNPS that lead to the specific LDL-C, LDL-P, Lp(a) levels, but I'd rather have the blood tests that I can re-take if needed to see changes.

I give them credit for making clear that polygenic risk scores (PRS) use an algorithm based on a model of how risk is increased or decreased when looking at multiple genetic variants. Like all algorithms, it's a work in progress, so "your results may vary" even when your report is the same.
Polygenic Risk...GB Healthwatch has borrowed from other leading scientists and made a few modifications. GB Healthwatch scientists are partnering with leading university-based scientists to clinically validate the use the GB developed polygenic risk score. Until then, the GB polygenic score is to be viewed as investigational and should not be used to inform clinical management.
https://www.gbhealthwatch.com/gbinsight ... p#section6

It's not clear from the info provided whether their partnership with other scientists or investors may include using anonymized data from tests. I don't mind sharing my results this way--as long as I've signed an informed consent for that.
4/4 and still an optimist!