Hello everyone. I'm new here...sort of.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Briteandsunnygrl
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone. I'm new here...sort of.

Post by Briteandsunnygrl »

I've been a member of this group for many years, but I've never really introduced myself properly or participated much even though I'm a big fan of the founders of this site and have followed Dale Bredesen's work closely since 2017.

I must admit that I haven't really TRIED following the program all that strictly because, frankly, I've been kind of living in hell, with a Grade 3 cancer diagnosis (found out that I have Lynch syndrome in addition to be an APOE4), mold toxicity (home and work), death of a partner to pancreatic cancer, and on and on.. Anyway, I probably have just about the worst possible combination of genes that anyone can have. I won't bore you with the details but suffice it to say that whether it's cancer, heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's, or something else, then I either have dealt with or am , currently dealing with it. I probably shouldn't even still be here. Nevertheless, I think it's important to keep trying so here I am.

I look forward to getting to know many of you and learning as much as I can.

~Alie
NataliaReyn
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello everyone. I'm new here...sort of.

Post by NataliaReyn »

Briteandsunnygrl wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:15 am I've been a member of this group for many years, but I've never really introduced myself properly or participated much even though I'm a big fan of the founders of this site and have followed Dale Bredesen's work closely since 2017.

I must admit that I haven't really TRIED following the program all that strictly because, frankly, I've been kind of living in hell, with a Grade 3 cancer diagnosis (found out that I have Lynch syndrome in addition to be an APOE4), mold toxicity (home and work), death of a partner to pancreatic cancer, and on and on.. Anyway, I probably have just about the worst possible combination of genes that anyone can have. I won't bore you with the details but suffice it to say that whether it's cancer, heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's, or something else, then I either have dealt with or am , currently dealing with it. I probably shouldn't even still be here. Nevertheless, I think it's important to keep trying so here I am.

~Alie
Hello, Alie!

My name is Natalia and I am one of the Support Team Interns here on the site. First of all, thank you so much for sharing your story with us; I cannot imagine what you have been through and continue to go through daily. I am so sorry to hear about your loss as well.
I am sure you will be able to connect with other members here in our community who can relate. Also, there are no boring details so please always feel free to share with us and we will do our best to provide support and be here for you =)
You have mentioned you have been a member here for a while but I would like to officially welcome you and share a few tools/resources just in case you haven't explored everything.

The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

You can find lots of topics and articles that may be on interest to you on WIKI Main Page .

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Also, I think you will find that lots of members here are fans of Dr. Bredesen's work, including myself. His PreCODE and ReCODE protocols can be life-changing but following it perfectly can be incredibly challenging, especially by yourself without support. If you are ever interested in adding a Provider or a Health Coach trained in these protocols feel free to take a look at our list here ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners and ApoE4-Aware Health Coaches .

I personally try to remind myself it's ok if I only take one thing at a time and that no matter how small, any tiny improvements add up; this protocol can also be overwhelming and expensive. We can only do our best!

Again, thank you for sharing on our forum, and thank you for your courage and vulnerability. I look forward to hearing from you in the future. Please feel free to reach out anytime.

Warmly,
Natalia
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Bredesen Protocol Health Coach
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Briteandsunnygrl wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:15 am I've been a member of this group for many years, but I've never really introduced myself properly or participated much even though I'm a big fan of the founders of this site and have followed Dale Bredesen's work closely since 2017.

~Alie
Welcome, Alie, or "Briteandsunnygirl",

As Natalia said, we are here for you during those hellish times, and hopefully for some bright and sunny days. Your ApoE4 status is like a meteor way way out in the future whose path you have time to avoid--and I say that as someone who is 71, with a strong family history of Alzheimer's and heart disease and two copies of ApoE 4 . I think the one saving grace of knowing our genes that confer risk is being able to do more than our relatives and others who didn't have our knowledge of ApoE4 or Lynch syndrome. You are more than still here--you have been resilient to more adversity than any one person should be expected to handle. I hope you have support from people at work, home and all those who want to have you around for a long, long time. We can't always avoid deep sorrow and immense losses, but we can believe in our ability to do what Winston Churchill advised during the "Blitz" bombing of London early in WWII: "When you're going through hell--keep going."

I have a friend whose Lynch syndrome was diagnosed after her sister, mother and aunts had cancer. She and her daughter both have preventative MRIs every 6 months. I hope you don't mind if your post serves as a chance to potentially help others here who those haven't heard about Lynch Syndrome from a Lynch advocacy and support site whose name I love: AliveandKick'n
Lynch syndrome is among the most common hereditary cancer syndromes, and estimates suggest as many as 1 in every 300 people may be carriers of an alteration in a gene associated with Lynch syndrome. Clues to whether there is Lynch syndrome in a family include diagnoses of colorectal and/or endometrial cancer in multiple relatives on the same side of a family. In addition, cancers associated with Lynch syndrome are more likely to be diagnosed at a young age. People with Lynch syndrome are also at an increased risk of developing multiple types of cancers during their lifetime.
And here's a link to the site's wonderful video from women discussing the need for those with a family history cancers before the age of 50 to be tested for Lynch Syndrome: Being a "Previvor"

[I should also note that we've have members who got incorrect reports from 23&me or Promethease suggesting they had Lynch syndrome back in 2018, so anyone who thinks their family history might indicate this should talk to their doctor first, probably.]. You may have helped many on this site today and in the future who will find this post. So thank you for your first, but I hope not last, post.

Nancy
4/4 and still an optimist!
TCHC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TCHC »

Hi Alie,
You're here and even if you're "not trying that hard", you've posted for a reason. What can we do for you? What do you need?
Are you thinking of doing a little more?
If so, take it easy, 1 tiny step at a time. You've clearly got enough on your plate! So be proud of yourself for still being here, still trying and joining in.
Lindsey
TCHC - Lindsey Byrne - The Cognitive Health Coach - UK
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
Certified Re:CODE 2.0 Health Coach
Briteandsunnygrl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Briteandsunnygrl »

Hello to everyone who replied. Thank you for your support and kind words. I'm sorry that I was not able to reply sooner. I've been a bit overwhelmed.