Panicking 41yr old grown up man

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
bobolysza
Contributor
Contributor

Panicking 41yr old grown up man

Post by bobolysza »

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for having me, I'm very glad to found this forum.

First of all I must tell that english is my second language so sorry for all the mistakes I'll make :)

So yes I'm a 41yr old father and husband and I recently informed by myheritage .com that I'm APOE 3/4.

Unfortunately I found nothing online in hungarian (which is my first language) so I had to read and translate eveything from english. Although I live in the UK my english is not good enough to read scientific researches what makes me very frustrated :(

About myself.

Never smoked
Never drink alcohol
Very fit 6ft 190 lbs
190 may sounds a lot, but my bodyfat is very low.
I train every day in the gym and walk roughly 5 miles as well.

Being vegan for 5 years but occasionally eat meat when we are visiting our families in Hungary.
Let's say every second months.

I tried the keto diet about 12 years ago, then switched to keto intermittent fasting but at the end I created my own diet and I've been following that for about 10 years which is this:

Fasting all day long (eat some veggies and nuts during the day but it' just a whole red pepper, 2-3 brazil nuts and 10 gramms of pumpkin seeds.

I go the gym around 7pm and eat the following after my workout:

Oatmeal (5 oZ organic oats + 80 gramms pea protein + 10 gramms of organic dried cranberries + 10 gramms of pumpkin seeds + mix with oatmilk and put in the microwave for 10 minutes)

I eat a lot of fruit as a side. A lot means a half of a big papaya, 2 nectarins, 1 passion fruit, 1 banana, 6 oZ of blueberries, half of a big pomelo.

I'm trying to keep the amount of fructose low because it causes bloating.

I drink some unsweetend almond milk and sometimes eat 2-3 rice cackes as well.

It sounds a lot but after a whole day of fasting and my workout I assume all the carbs goes into my muscles and my liver.

Supplements: Vitamin C 3000mg, Vitamin D 10.000 IU every second day, 2 Omega3 capsules, 15mg Iron, B complex, Zinc, Copper, Glucosamine.

My sleep could be much better, I go bed late and usually sleep 6hrs

What makes me very anxious now is the following:

This diet is totally the opposit what I should eat according what I found in this forum :(
I bearly eat fat :(

I always been an "overthinker" I never focus on little things so my wife has to tell me everything 10 times a day if she wants me to do it.

Sometimes I can't focus, sometimes I have brainfog.
Few months ago I drove off from the petrol station without payment. It happened twice that I forgot the dog in the car etc.

And of course since I got my 3/4 result I'm 100% sure that AD is already developed in my brain and will not see my son to grow up :(

On the meantime if I'm really interested in something I can learn everything really quick I can focus, I remember 1 hr long conversations etc.
I've just started a new business besides the other one we have and I learnt tons of new things in a few weeks.

I know all my card numbers, account numbers, passwords, I remember the registration numbers of all my cars in the past 20 years.

I've been panicking for 2 days now and of course my mind is all over the place so I can't focus on anything, I lost everything, can't find anything :(

But when I'm testing myself I'm ok. I went down to the street yesterday and tried to memorizing parking cars. I gave myself 5 minutes.
I still remember all the 15.

2 hrs ago when I was walking to home I tried to memorize different pairs of objects what I saw, like car-fence, door-window, bench-bin.

I memorized 19 and I still remember them.

My last blood test was five years ago. I checked the cholesterol results and found the following.

Technically everything was in the range but from AD prospective I'm not sure about that because most of them were borderline :(

Total cholesterol was borderline (high)
Triglycerids: borderline (low)
LDL mid-higher
HDL: borderline (low)

I have tons of questions and of course I read the "beginners" part here in the forum but it was a bit too much and difficult for my english :(

I try to be short...

Shall I stop what I eat? If I switched to wild caught salmon and veggie during the day and eat the same in the evening but less fruits would be a good start?

I ordered some Krill Omega3 and Choline to add them to my daily package.
How much should I take?

Shall I take less supplements?

I want to go for a private blood test, could you please tell what should be checked?

Thank you so much for your help in advance. :)

Peter
JennyR
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Panicking 41yr old grown up man

Post by JennyR »

bobolysza wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:26 pm ...Thank you so much for having me, I'm very glad to found this forum...

Thank you so much for your help in advance. :)

Peter
Hi Peter-
I'm a Support Team intern and health coach and I just want to welcome you to the Forum! You've found a compassionate and supportive community here and it was really brave of you to post and share your story--thank you! To start, I'd encourage you to take a big breath. This new information is a lot to take in--it is wonderful that you are doing your research and already considering changes to your lifestyle but...it is a lot so make sure you are giving yourself some grace as you process the information.
As you'll read a lot here, your ApoE4 status is NOT your destiny. It sounds like you have been doing a lot over the years to support your health and have a generally healthy lifestyle. Based on your memory self-tests, it doesn't sound like you are experiencing any cognitive impairment. Could the new information about your ApoE4 status be a gift? A chance to dial in some of your modifiable lifestyle factors (while enjoying every minute of your time as a husband/father)?

I can't answer all of your questions but I did want to share some resources from the Forum.

The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Diet is highly personal and I can't really tell you whether or not you should change what you eat. Generally speaking, a Bredesen-style approach would be blood sugar balancing, anti-inflammatory, plant-rich, and nutrient dense. Animal protein can be part of this approach with a focus on low mercury, wild-caught seafood and pastured eggs. However, the best next step may be some labwork to see where you are from a nutrition and metabolic standpoint.

Supplementation is another area you will most likely want to explore thoughtfully. There is a section in the Primer on Selected Supplements. Labwork and a Bredesen trained practitioner may be able to help you navigate supplements most effectively.

Here is a link to help you find ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners. Many do virtual consultations.

As far as bloodwork goes, the Bredesen Protocol topic of the Wiki has a section with suggested Lab Tests to Track and Treat.

In the meantime, know that you are doing great. Focus on what you do have control of right now and remember that you can't change everything at one time. I might suggest one or two areas to focus on at a time. You mentioned that your sleep was not ideal. There is a section in the Primer on Sleep and sleep hygiene may be an area you could focus on yourself in the short-term.

I know it's a lot to take in. Remember to breathe, spend time in nature, with loved ones, doing things you love. You will get through this and you have a big community here to support you.

With love, in health,
Jenny
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
MBA
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

bobolysza wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:26 pm Thank you so much for having me, I'm very glad to found this forum.
Welcome. In addition to this web page's forums and wiki as pointed out by our support intern, you might also be interested in the ApoE4.info Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/apoe4.info.

Everyday there are posts of encouragement or from recent articles/papers of interest to ApoE4s. The posts are available to everyone whether or not a person has a facebook account. It's become very popular worldwide.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Hi Peter,

It sounds like you have been taking care of your health already - congrats on that. As you learn more you might decide to make some adjustments. Most of us do. But being active and eating well in general is a good place to start. And all that walking is great!

I am 6'0" and 190lbs too. But I don't do that much walking here in the cold winter months. And I'm ten years ahead of you.

It sounds like you are a very busy guy. Work. Family. And, of course, it is stressful to think about Alzheimer's in our future.

However, it might be reassuring to remember that apoe4 is a risk factor mostly for late onset Alzheimer's. That technically occurs after 65. I think we could debate the age range a bit. But at 41 and as a 3/4 it seems quite unlikely your forgetfulness is related to that, especially since you can remember all of those numbers and patterns you mentioned.

I certainly understand your concern. I do the same thing occasionally - my anxiety about it spikes, I worry, and I test my memory in all sorts of ways. Dealing with the uncertainty and anxiety is part of this journey. It's good to recognize that most everyone goes through some of that.

My advice would be to learn from this community and elsewhere and continue being healthy. If you go to talk with your doctor about your cholesterol levels and general health, for example, you could talk about the rest. (I started by saying it is a concern of mine due to family history, to ensure nothing ended up in my medical charts. Once I found a doctor I really trusted I shared my genetic status off the record. No problems.) That's good place to start.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

bobolysza wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:26 pm I eat a lot of fruit as a side. A lot means a half of a big papaya, 2 nectarins, 1 passion fruit, 1 banana, 6 oZ of blueberries, half of a big pomelo.

I'm trying to keep the amount of fructose low because it causes bloating.
Peter, welcome! This is a bit confusing... You say that you eat a lot of fruit but you are trying to keep your fructose low, which seems contradictory.

You do not mention anything about your Blood Glucose (BG) levels and Insulin Resistance (IR). If you are exercising a lot and you are not having large spikes in your BG, then eating carbs can be okay. But if your BG is swinging up and down to much, that can cause problems including brain fog. It would be good to get an A1c blood test, which measures your average BG over the last 3 months. You could also get fasting Insulin and BG to look at IR. Even better would be to get Glucose tolerance test, which measures BG and Insulin fasting, then you are given sugar water to drink and then your BG and I and tested again after 30 min, then an hour, then 2 hours and then 3 hours. You learn a lot about how you respond to carbs, but it is a difficult and long test, so maybe put off doing until you see the results from the first two tests.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Hello Peter, I'm a just turned 87 4/4 female. When I discoved I was a 4/4 I went to Stanford's Alheimer's project for
an evaluation. I wanted to have a baseline so I would have an accurate amount of my decline if it happened. My ten
years had passed and I was feeling as if I might be declining and called for another test. This test was by zoom. I was expecting to be referred to some type of memory improvement training.

Instead my results were very favorable. I was recruited for a project to see if I had a genetic reason for how well I was doing and they would like to have blood tests and my brain when I die. Both are fine with me. They would like a spinal test and I said no to that. I have not been a devoted follower of Dr. Bredesen but got lots of good information from him when I was active in the begining years of the Apoe4info group.

I'm sure that has helped me stay in good health. I was 77 when I started improving my diet. You are 41 and you are doing all that physical activity. Good for you for getting yourself in even better health.

I was just looking at the Apoe4 site to see how many of the people who were active when I joined and it looks to me as if many of them are still active. Hello to any of you who are members from the early days.

Starfish77
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Starfish77 wrote:Hello to any of you who are members from the early days.
So good to hear from you and know you are doing well!

And we ALL want to know your secret. ;)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Starfish77 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:49 pm I was just looking at the Apoe4 site to see how many of the people who were active when I joined and it looks to me as if many of them are still active. Hello to any of you who are members from the early days.

Starfish77
Hi Starfish, wonderful to see you posting and knowing that you are doing very well! I recall meeting you at our get together at the Buck Institute in Marin in May of 2015.

You know where your posts could be wonderful would be responding to the people posting that they are worried about conceiving kids with a 4 gene. As well, what you are doing here: that it is never too late to start a lifestyle modification!!

Keep it up and the best to you!!!
Tincup
E3,E4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

This diet is totally the opposit what I should eat according what I found in this forum :(
I bearly eat fat
There is not just one recommended diet for AD prevention. I am also low fat plant based and it works for me, as evidenced by my A1c, Apob/LDL, and how I feel. Others do a Mediterranean diet or Dash diet, Portfolio diet, pescatarian diet or pescatarian keto. Are you eating legumes or tofu? You didn't mention much protein in your diet. Are you getting DHA in supplements?
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

SusanJ and Tincup I am glad to see you both are so active. It is great how much good you are doing for the newly diagnosed. They can see people who were diagnosed many years ago and are doing well by following good eating and health practices. Keep up the good work!