Labcorp's p-tau 181 pricing

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
tonylobello
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Labcorp's p-tau 181 pricing

Post by tonylobello »

Ok thank you Julie. I’m going to get test as soon as possible. Thank you for everything you do!
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

Is there a quick wiki or explanation somewhere that gives an overview of p-181 vs. 42/40 vs. p-217 ?

I think I know some of the answers, but I just wonder if there is a consolidated set of info somewhere.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

tonylobello wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:54 pm I had the test done p-tau 181 it cost 300.00 at labcorp and I had 42/40 ratio test done @ 300.00 at quest which I recommend. Insurance cover it. I’m going to get the other test done p-tau 217 . I’m a 3/4. Thanks Tony.
Hi Tony,

Thanks for sharing your experience with Labcorp's P-tau 181 blood test, which your insurance covered. My understanding is that insurance only covers that for confirmation of the primary doctor's concern for possible cognitive impairment, or to rule out Alzheimer's as a cause of cognitive, spatial or other functional changes.

I have not heard of insurance paying for these tests for people who simply would like to know their results.

The issue of how to use these tests in either primary care or direct-to-consumer use is getting attention for at least two big reasons:
  • The tests were mostly developed using samples from participants in clinical research, both long-term imaging studies of people with normal cognition and drug trials in people with confirmed Alzheimer's disease. Up until recently, these participants tend to be overwhelmingly white (about 90% or more) and had fewer serious comorbid conditions than are seen in primary care. For example, people with kidney disease are typically excluded from trials but can be a large percentage of a primary clinic population in some communities and kidney disease may distort the values of these tests. Many researchers in the US and Europe are looking to validate these tests in community-based and primary-care clinics.
  • Disclosure of an "abnormal" result, without the ability to personalize what that means for someone with normal cognition, may cause significant emotional and psychological distress. It's unlikely that most primary care doctors have the time or ability to delve deeply into what an abnormal p-tau marker may mean. I get to hear lots of presentations from leading researchers on biomarkers, and they are uniformly excited about their promise for earlier, easier, more accurate and less-costly diagnosis of many types of cognitive impairments, ranging from Alzheimer’s, to Parkinson's, Lewy Body, Frontal-Temporal and vascular dementia, using various biomarkers. But they also say that the accuracy of these P-tau blood tests is most useful for a specific purpose: to predict a positive amyloid PET scan, with an association with longer-term positive tau PET scans. In my limited experience, they recommend use of these mostly in prevention trials for people with no cognitive concerns to improve screening and in memory clinics to improve clinical diagnosis of similar symptoms that may have very different biomarkers and causes. They acknowledge the uncertainty of relying on any one biomarker to predict someone's current or future cognitive functioning.
Here's a discussion on AlzForum with comments by several researchers from a few weeks ago:

AD Blood Tests Are Here. Now, Let's Grapple With How to Use Them
4/4 and still an optimist!
tonylobello
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tonylobello »

My doctor is a preventative medicine doctor that I pay for. He goes by dr bredesen model. He doesn’t do what traditional doctors do. I got the test paid for because I’m apoe4 gene and my doctor wrote a prescription for p-tau 181. Thanks.
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

It seems like p-217 is available from Alzpath, although I can't seem to find where exactly -- as they apparently don't have a doctor/provider locator tool on their website for prospective test candidates.

Does anyone know when/where pTau-217 might be available from larger providers like Labcorp or Quest? Thanks