Attachments issue

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Attachments issue

Post by Ski »

Just wanted to point out an issue I just came across. At the beginning of the month we had a server crash when adjusting the attachment quota allowed. This corrupted any attachment that was uploaded to the forum pre November. Unfortunately there is no way to recover these files due to a couple of issues as our hoster only keeps a weeks worth of backups.

I had my own backups but these attachments apparently need to be transferred in a special way else they get corrupted, which mine are as well.

If you would like to see these attachments, please ask the original author to re-attach it. Likewise, if you see your own post that has a corrupted attachment (it will have no image), you should be able to edit the post and re-attach it
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Attachments issue

Post by Welcomeaboard »

And I warned people about attachments on 23andme and that they could fail and that is why I typed the study name as it would always be accessible.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Now this leads to the question of what if this site fails or goes away. Since, as it has been said that it is unique to the internet and important, do we and the site become like the lost Egyptian hall of records, known to have existed in stories but hidden by the sands of time.
Shall some computer sweep program delete us?
Shall deletion be our ultimate fate?

Philosophy class is down the hall and to the left.
Kathleen1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Kathleen1 »

Nonattachment, my friends. Part of the deal. Nothing lasts forever, not our smarts, not our beauty, not our golden words....but it is a wonderful ride.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Yeah unfortunately many forum owners have encountered this issue and was only discovered once it was an issue.

The attachments files(the only ones) need to be backed up in a certain format and if they get transferred using the FTP programs default method, they get corrupted. And with our hoster only storing one weeks worth of backups before overwriting, we had no means of restoring.
SweetSue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SweetSue »

I am having an issue trying to attach a food photo to the post-your-meals-here topic. I'm on a samsung android phone and select attachment, document, and the jpeg photo and it gets an invalid format error. Strange. I couldn't figure out drag and droop on my phone. The new website looks great! Thanks for all your efforts!
Susan
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

image.jpg
Waves, Sweet Sue! Sorry you're having a problem. I was able to upload this photo fairly easily. It IS a little different from the old site. I clicked on OPTIONS, then ATTACHMENTS on the bottom left. Right beneath that was the option to ADD FILES.

Have you tried that method? I still haven't tried to drag and drop...but I'll try that next. I hope it works. THAT'S something I really wanted at the old site. Is anyone else having a problem with attachments?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'm learning with you, Sue. On one device (iPad) my previous attachment was upright. That's how it was saved. On this device (MacBook) my attachment is oriented sideways...not sure what you're seeing ;) How do we fix orientation, Ski?

I practiced dopping and dragging & that method worked too. I dragged the file into the message box. I didn't see it, but I scrolled below the message box and saw that it was there per the file that was added below. I had to put the cursor where I wanted it, then choose to place it INLINE. (I also had to complete that final step using the other method.)

I hope I've answered your question. If not, tell me where you're getting stuck. PLEASE try again. I want more meal ideas :D
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Pretty lady :)
Even sideways...
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

If you are posting from an iOS device, that is more than likely the issue. Its really how the different browsers perceive the photo settings. If you look at this forum thread on an iPhone, the photo is oriented correctly, on a browser it rotates it. Nothing much you can do about it and I think photos taken in "Portrait" mode have the most issues vs a "Landscape" photo.