Statins when you’re homozygous APOE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Statins when you’re homozygous APOE4

Post by JD2020 »

mike wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:02 pm He just said they would need to treat it with drugs... Modern drugs. Who woulda thunk!?
I don't get it. So he wants to treat with drugs, but the drugs cause you muscle breakdown, right? Did he have a suggestion re a different type of drug?
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

JD2020 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:24 pm I don't get it. So he wants to treat with drugs, but the drugs cause you muscle breakdown, right? Did he have a suggestion re a different type of drug?
I was just amazed that he didn't seem perturbed by my high fat/protein diet. I'm getting some tests done tomorrow and we'll see what he recommends after that. He said something about 2020 drugs instead of 1995 ones... Also the fact that he know about ApoE4 and its effect on cholesterol.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
AnnieV
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AnnieV »

Nords,

Have you done the 14 hour fasting Dr. Bredesen says APOE4 must do? That alone dropped my VLDL and Trigs massively, same for my APOE4/4 mother, in just a month or so of time. (Vitamin C is a natural statin, it has none of the statin drug side effects like depleting CoQ10 either....)
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Nords »

AnnieV wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:05 am Nords,

Have you done the 14 hour fasting Dr. Bredesen says APOE4 must do? That alone dropped my VLDL and Trigs massively, same for my APOE4/4 mother, in just a month or so of time. (Vitamin C is a natural statin, it has none of the statin drug side effects like depleting CoQ10 either....)
I'd fasted at least 12 hours before drawing the blood for all of my lipid panels over the last four decades, @AnnieV, and this last sample happened to be at least 14 hours.

I usually fast 12-13 hours between dinner & breakfast, and at least 14 hours on mornings when I'm surfing, but I'm not rigorous about it.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.
AnnieV
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AnnieV »

Ok. I care for my APOE 4/4 mom and test her often. The 14 hour daily fast habit dropped her VLDL from 42 to 15.2 and Trigs from 210 to 76. It took about 6 weeks to get that result.
Beattheodds
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Beattheodds »

Mike, I am curious what kind of "modern" drugs did your doctor prescribe for you?
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Beattheodds wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:19 pm Mike, I am curious what kind of "modern" drugs did your doctor prescribe for you?
Nexletol, but haven't started it yet
Sonoma Mike
4/4
AnnieV
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AnnieV »

Why are side-effect driven drugs sought when natural and lifestyle habit changes can fix the problem without dangerous side effects? Certain drugs can have their place in extreme circumstances, no doubt, but today drugs are clearly over-used and over-depended upon. Normal comes from Nature, not a lab.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... de-effects
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Nords »

AnnieV wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 am Why are side-effect driven drugs sought when natural and lifestyle habit changes can fix the problem without dangerous side effects?
@AnnieV, as the original poster of this thread, I hope it's understood that I'm researching a reasonably reliable statin (with fewer side effects, and in a minimal dose) only because other diet & lifestyle initiatives haven't been effective yet.

14-hour fasts are part of my life already, although I occasionally snack after 6 PM or eat breakfast before 8 AM. I live in Hawaii, where my diet is full of yummy tropical fruit.

I didn't suddenly wake up one morning with newly-elevated cholesterol levels or a spike in the risk of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. Instead I aged into it, where the primary risk was turning age 60 (in 2020) while cholesterol values kept slowly climbing.

Cholesterol controls are not an "either-or" situation, but rather taking prudent steps to minimize the severity of the problem while working on other long-term and sustainable changes.

Ideally I'd have a calcium score of zero (from my upcoming cardiac CT scan). In that case I'd continue chipping away at my diet and never start statins. If I had a problematic calcium score then I'd start a statin and eventually wean off it in parallel with other diet & lifestyle efforts.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.
EA1979
Contributor
Contributor

Post by EA1979 »

@Nords, thank you for sharing all of this information. I'm a data scientist, so love your chart in the first post :)

I was wondering what lifestyle interventions you have found most effective in managing your cholesterol until now - I would also like to put off a statin as long as possible.

Thanks!