Statins when you’re homozygous APOE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
bombsh3ll
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Statins when you’re homozygous APOE4

Post by bombsh3ll »

I don't currently know my genetic status but have 3 family members with Alzheimers on one side and terrible cardiovascular disease on the other. I have chosen not to test until such time as this would change management - for now I am doing everything in my power to prevent both cardiovascular disease and AD anyway.

I just wanted to say how happy I am with my own decision to start a statin, 18 months ago at 43 years old. I had moderately elevated cholesterol since my 20's but this was ignored by doctors as I was a young healthy female.

I wish now that I had gone on the statin 20 years earlier. I am taking Atorvastatin 20mg. It has reduced my LDL to below 2.0. (UK units) I have zero side effects. I eat a healthy diet and my HDL is high, which is much more related to lifestyle than LDL which tends to be genetic.
HelenOwens
Support Team Intern
Support Team Intern

Post by HelenOwens »

bombsh3ll wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:49 am I don't currently know my genetic status but have 3 family members with Alzheimers on one side and terrible cardiovascular disease on the other. I have chosen not to test until such time as this would change management - for now I am doing everything in my power to prevent both cardiovascular disease and AD anyway.

I just wanted to say how happy I am with my own decision to start a statin, 18 months ago at 43 years old. I had moderately elevated cholesterol since my 20's but this was ignored by doctors as I was a young healthy female.

I wish now that I had gone on the statin 20 years earlier. I am taking Atorvastatin 20mg. It has reduced my LDL to below 2.0. (UK units) I have zero side effects. I eat a healthy diet and my HDL is high, which is much more related to lifestyle than LDL which tends to be genetic.

Hello bombsh3ll,

As a Support Team Intern, I’d like to welcome you to the Forum. You have come to the right place to find support in a community of others who are seeking prevention and mitigation strategies. And, as you have shared, that may look different for each individual, as the biological and environmental influences on our health are complex. It sounds like you have been taking a proactive approach to your health by taking measures to prevent CVD and AD - by being aware of your predisposition, educating yourself and trying to figure out what works best for you. That’s what we are all trying to do here – keep it going!

I’d also like to share several tools & resources to help you get the most out of your experience. The Primer is a detailed and informative resource written by a practicing M.D. with ApoE4/4. It includes information about the biochemistry of the ApoE4 gene and offers a variety of research-based prevention strategies.

Some helpful tips to navigate the site include the How-To Guide. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote (") button when replying to a post. Using the button will automatically alert the member of your response.

Wiki Main Page contains a wealth of information.

If you are interested in learning more about other members check out Our Stories.

Thank you, again, for sharing your perspective – it’s exactly what makes this such a valuable and supportive community. Stay curious and keep sharing!

Warmly,
Helen
Helen
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
bombsh3ll
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bombsh3ll »

Thanks for the kind welcome, I am very pleased to have found this site.
LondonGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LondonGirl »

Hi bombshell - another UK Girl here :D
bombsh3ll
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bombsh3ll »

LondonGirl wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:51 pm Hi bombshell - another UK Girl here :D
Good to know people here are getting involved too :D

Can I ask if you have had a genetic test and if so where did you get it? I have not (yet) but my dad, aunt and nana had it.
SIN
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SIN »

Hi I’m 4/4 with a very high CT calcium score and 3 stents - I was advised to come off statins and instead take Repatha and Ezetimibe - seek out a Cleerly heart scan also - you’d be looking for old calcified plaques which are preferable to the softer new plaques which are more prone to rupture - heart disease nowadays is largely preventable - Alzheimer’s is moving in that direction also in my opinion
LondonGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LondonGirl »

bombsh3ll wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:30 am
LondonGirl wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:51 pm Hi bombshell - another UK Girl here :D
Good to know people here are getting involved too :D

Can I ask if you have had a genetic test and if so where did you get it? I have not (yet) but my dad, aunt and nana had it.
Yes 23&me. Both my grandmothers died of it. Mum nun died of cancer (70) with no sign. Dad 73 and still sharp
bombsh3ll
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bombsh3ll »

SIN wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:47 am Hi I’m 4/4 with a very high CT calcium score and 3 stents - I was advised to come off statins and instead take Repatha and Ezetimibe - seek out a Cleerly heart scan also - you’d be looking for old calcified plaques which are preferable to the softer new plaques which are more prone to rupture - heart disease nowadays is largely preventable - Alzheimer’s is moving in that direction also in my opinion
Was your LDL really high and did the statin not help? I hope your new treatments are effective.

A lot of people claim that statins increase the risk of dementia but I believe that this is by helping people live long enough to get it who otherwise would succumb to cardiovascular disease first. I'm really interested in the E4 gene and cholesterol as I wasn't someone you would expect to have high LDL as a young slim female with a healthy diet, yet my relatives all seem to die young from cardiovascular disease or get old and have dementia.
EA1979
Contributor
Contributor

Post by EA1979 »

Thanks again for sharing @Nords.

My recent results after 4 months of diet and lifestyle changed indicated improved cholesterol levels, but still above baseline. I expect to start a statin at my next doctor's appointment, focused on a low dose
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Nords »

EA1979 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:40 pm Thanks again for sharing @Nords.
You're welcome; it helps me to talk through the process to make sure I'm not overlooking an issue or even making a mistake.

I'm having that statin conversation with my family doc in August.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.