talk about prevention strategies?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: talk about prevention strategies?

Post by Fiver »

Plumster wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:58 pm
Oh are you a mouth breather too? :) Does taping work?
Yes, absolutely! About six years ago, just as I was entering menopause and my estrogen was dropping, I started having severe sleep problems and would wake up many times a night. I started myofunctional therapy and joined a breathing clinic, and learned I was tongue tied. The muscles in the tongue become weak with the drop in estrogen. I had functional frenuloplasty (oral surgery releasing my tongue). Boy did that make a difference immediately! I now tape nightly to ensure there's no more mouth breathing.
I had no idea about this Plumster, thanks for teaching me something new! I'm a mouth breather for a different reason but never considered taping....
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Tincup wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:06 am
Julie G wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:24 am -Have you ever measured your homocysteine? That's an important biomarker to track as it's associated with cognitive decline, brain atrophy, white matter hyper intensities, etc. Most of us end up needing to supplement B-12, folate and B6 (as P5P).
Below is a quote homocysteine from "Breaking Alzheimer’s: A 15 Year Crusade to Expose the Cause and Deliver the Cure" by Dayan Goodenowe, Chapter 19.
Thanks Tincup. I totally forgot about homocyteine being the way to monitor this.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Fiver wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:52 am I'm a mouth breather for a different reason but never considered taping....
I've taped for 8 or 9 years.

I did an inadvertent experiment a few years .

I went sleep with a Polar H10 beat to beat recording heart rate monitor on connected to a recording app. These are graphs of heart rate vs. time that I created after downloading the data to a computer. I did not tape up initially, woke up after a few hours with dryness in my mouth, taped up and continued sleeping. To put on one image, the resolution isn't great, but you can see the issue. Top graph is about a 6 hour section (major X-Axis divisions an hour apart). I taped up after about the first third of the graph. Second graph zooms in on about 30 minutes of the first third. The heart rate pattern is an apnea pattern (I have slides from a presentation I found showing apnea patterns in heart rate data). Third graph is also without tape, zoomed in more. 4th & 5th graphs are 30 minute zoom after taping up (major X-Axis divisions 5 minutes apart). On the 4th graph, the sharp spike down about 20% from the left is a PVC (premature ventricular contraction), the sharp spike up near the right side is a PAC. (premature atrial contraction) Even though I've been taping for years, I obviously need to continue and I do. The Y-Axis scale is the same on each graph. The major divisions on the Y-Axis are 10 BPM. The bottom number on the Y-Axis (coinciding with the X-Axis) is 20 BPM.
Sleep Mouth Tape.jpg
This is a link to the tape I use, 200 strips in a package.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4