Artificial Sweetener Drinks

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
AnnieV
Contributor
Contributor

Artificial Sweetener Drinks

Post by AnnieV »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5405737/
"Conclusions: Artificially-sweetened soft drink consumption was associated with a higher risk of stroke and dementia."
bombsh3ll
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Artificial Sweetener Drinks

Post by bombsh3ll »

I do use artificial sweetener in my tea and coffee so have always been interested in this debate.

This particular study doesn't concern me though as it is not a randomised trial but a self selected cohort of people choosing sweetener rather than sugar - these are more likely to be people with weight issues or other health concerns who are at higher risk of strokes etc anyway.

It's like saying people who take Metformin are more likely to get heart disease. The drug isn't causing heart disease, it's the diabetes that people take it for that is, if that makes sense.
AnnieV
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AnnieV »

It's not a debate. No one should consume lab-made artificial products that damage the body. Period. You're jeopardizing your health.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

bombsh3ll wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:42 pm I do use artificial sweetener in my tea and coffee so have always been interested in this debate.

This particular study doesn't concern me though as it is not a randomised trial but a self selected cohort of people choosing sweetener rather than sugar - these are more likely to be people with weight issues or other health concerns who are at higher risk of strokes etc anyway.

It's like saying people who take Metformin are more likely to get heart disease. The drug isn't causing heart disease, it's the diabetes that people take it for that is, if that makes sense.
AnnieV wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:38 am It's not a debate. No one should consume lab-made artificial products that damage the body. Period. You're jeopardizing your health.
Hi AnnieV,

I recognize that you have very strong feelings about artificial, or processed, or other types of man-made or altered products. As a Moderator on the forum, however, I need to gently remind you of two of our most cherished Community Guidelines that we ask users to agree to when they register:
Humility. Refrain from posturing as an expert or relying on your professional status to make your point. Support your opinions with personal or clinical experience, your physician’s perspective, and/or published medical research. Avoid overreaching – we are most credible when we focus on our own personal experiences.

Kindness. Some here are suffering. Look for the best in one another, and speak with empathy and generosity.
"bombsh3ll" simply gave their personal experience and reasons to question whether the study cited applied to them. I have also been in spirited discussions with members on this forum about issues, yet recognize that my views are not necessarily true for all people in all circumstances.

We do best when we say "This is what works for me" or "I find this research persuasive." It is not kind, in my view, to tell someone they are jeopardizing their health when they have not personally asked you as a friend, confidante, family member, or medical professional for your opinion of their choices.

I hope you share with us the answer to that Finland question soon, by the way!

Nancy
4/4 and still an optimist!
AnnieV
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AnnieV »

I don't have strong personal feelings on artificial sweeteners, there is just strong science. If people want to choose to harm themselves in the face of that science, that's their business. They can't say they weren't warned though. The reason some may get emotional, rationalize their choices is most often because they are bound a habit, if not the addiction, they react when that bad habit is objectively questioned. We owe it to ourselves and each other to relay plain truth. No candy coating (or aspartame coating).

As to Finland...."seek and ye shall find"....
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

AnnieV wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:17 pm I don't have strong personal feelings on artificial sweeteners, there is just strong science. If people want to choose to harm themselves in the face of that science, that's their business. They can't say they weren't warned though. The reason some may get emotional, rationalize their choices is most often because they are bound a habit, if not the addiction, they react when that bad habit is objectively questioned. We owe it to ourselves and each other to relay plain truth. No candy coating (or aspartame coating).

As to Finland...."seek and ye shall find"....
The “plain truth” is that some people who lead exemplary lives get Alzheimer’s and cancer and auto-immune diseases, or happen to be born with congenital conditions that may trigger late-life illness, in spite of following “science”.
And others, like me, made MANY unwise (but maybe necessary at the time) choices in our younger years, and yet are doing fine well past when “science”says we should have dementia.

On this forum we very deliberately DO NOT TELL PEOPLE THEY ARE HARMING THEMSELVES. Because we do not know that they are, since no study ever done can claim to apply to all people everywhere at any time in their lives.

We do not tell people that they are wrong. My “plain truth” may consist of dietary choices, supplements, lifestyle, activities, social interactions and cognitive challenges that make sense to me but would be burdensome or even negative for you.

I hope you can understand why this is a Community Guideline that must be followed.
4/4 and still an optimist!
bombsh3ll
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bombsh3ll »

I didn't mean to open a can of worms here and I am aware that research exists suggesting that there may be certain risks with artificial sweeteners, probably if taken in very high doses, however everything in life is a balance and for me the alternatives are 1) use sugar, which can lead to unwanted weight gain and rotten teeth or 2) lose the daily pleasure of a hot drink that tastes nice. I choose the sweetener.
AnnieV
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AnnieV »

Overwhelming objective science says artificial sweeteners are dangerous. Period. There is no such thing as "my truth", something is either true or it's not. [Moderator note: a single off-topic, politically inflammatory sentence was excised from this post.]
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Hmm, the study linked in the first post of this topic is well short of "overwhelming" evidence. As a prospective study, it cannot show causation. In the authors' words:
As our study was observational, we are unable to determine whether artificially-sweetened soft drink intake increased the risk of incident dementia through diabetes or whether persons with diabetes were simply more likely to consume diet beverages.
(Now, there really is overwhelming evidence that diabetes causes stroke and dementia.)
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

AnnieV wrote:If people want to choose to harm themselves in the face of that science, that's their business. They can't say they weren't warned though. The reason some may get emotional, rationalize their choices is most often because they are bound a habit, if not the addiction, they react when that bad habit is objectively questioned. We owe it to ourselves and each other to relay plain truth. No candy coating (or aspartame coating).
I don't seem to recall when you were asked to deliver the "plain truth" on this forum and "objectively question" people about their bad habits.

We post scientific articles, we discuss, we support one another and we respect people's decisions because we don't walk their individual paths to wellness.